Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:14 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Syosset. Another area we consider is Garden City. Anyone can tell me more about it? I want to know it all, good and bad of both areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 08:06 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,650,469 times
I must admit my bias against Syosset, for as much as I am going to get flamed for writing this, while it varies within the town, if your idea of home, is to live amongst a group of self-absorbed, self-serving, self-consumed, snobby, egotistical narcissistic 'people,' Syosset is the place for you.

Of course it varies within the town, and generational Syosseteans, and newer transplants, are nothing like what I have described.

Traffic can be bad, and shopping is very limited. But people take care and pride in their homes, the school system is one of the best in the Nation, and crime is consistently very low.

Dining options are varied too, and Syosset Hospital is a good local hospital.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:19 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times
We looked all over LI and we chose GC. Great people, affluent but not snoby. VERY community/family oriented. Nice downtown, close to everything since it's smack in the middle of Nassau. Great schools that support a balanced life...sports, music, academics.

We love it. Other areas seem to be less community minded and more focused on getting 1600 SAT scores.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:12 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I must admit my bias against Syosset, for as much as I am going to get flamed for writing this, while it varies within the town, if your idea of home, is to live amongst a group of self-absorbed, self-serving, self-consumed, snobby, egotistical narcissistic 'people,' Syosset is the place for you.
Traffic can be bad, and shopping is very limited. But people take care and pride in their homes, the school system is one of the best in the Nation, and crime is consistently very low.

The traffic by Jackson ave does concern me. And what about this mall they are supposed to be building on the old Cerro Wire plant site? We are mostly interested in North Syosset, I dont know if this will be affected by the mall. Any thoughts?

We are none of the things you described so it does concern us. We really only like Syosset b/c of the location (not too far) and the fact that we could get some land (we want space from our neighbors). And of course, that it has good property values and good schools. But we dont want to raise children who expect BMWs at graduation...we dont even have BMWs!

Keep the thoughts coming...thanks

Old 04-03-2007, 12:02 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,650,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
The traffic by Jackson ave does concern me.
It isn't only Jackson Ave; Jericho Tpk is worse yet (although Underhill Blvd is the preferred route into Town)...

Quote:
And what about this mall they are supposed to be building on the old Cerro Wire plant site? We are mostly interested in North Syosset, I dont know if this will be affected by the mall. Any thoughts?
I wouldn't make it a determining factor, for the issues concerning the old Cerro Wire site, have been ongoing for decades.

Quote:
We are none of the things you described so it does concern us.
I grew up in Syosset, so I do get a bit nostalgic for the town, at times. However, whatever warm feelings I have, are quickly erased, after spending any length of time there.

The last snow storm is a perfect illustration. Cutting across Long Island, I had no problems with motorists, until I headed west on Jericho Turnpike, from South Oyster Bay Road (via the Long Island Expressway). Never have I encountered a greater concentrated number of motorists, who put their lives, and the lives of other motorists, in danger, in their single minded pursuit of "getting where they need to be." For other motorists are not human beings, but objects; impediments, to be pushed out-of-the-way. I would not even refer to such people as animals, for animals haven’t the sense to behave better.

I have lived in different parts, and worked across, Long Island, and in only one other town, have I experienced this phenomenon.

Perhaps it will get better with time, for this phenomenon hasn’t affected generational Syosseteans, and transplanted families seem to be friendly, and civic minded. Likewise, ‘old money’ families, by and large, make for good neighbors. But the town is known as ‘Snobosset’ by its’ detractors, and I think the name is well deserved.

In the end, I think you were given excellent advice by GC Guy. For while I don’t know enough about Garden City to discuss the area at length, I find it preferable to Syosset.

Last edited by Marka; 03-07-2008 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: updated quote

Old 09-26-2007, 12:33 AM

8 posts, read 41,004 times
Both are good places but There's a big difference in the makeup of the people. GC is very white and very catholic (aka very few jewish people/temples or anyone else for that matter). Syosset (my parents lived there for 2 years) is much more religiously diverse with a lot more jewish people and great schools. There are also a lot more housing options in Syosset, Garden City is mostly private houses with very little land for the house size. In Syosset you have private houses and townhouse/condo developments (great starter /empty nester houses) so there's more of a choice. Garden City is also surounded by Hempstead and no matter what people tell you, the riff raff does appear in town (It's just blocks way from downtown!) The traffic on Franklin Ave. (goes from Hempstead to Mineola and right though downtown GC) is horrible and the drivers are in a rush and rude. Syosset located in a nice part of Long Island surrounded by comprable towns. There's also a different feel in Syosset, being futher from the city, streets have a more suburban look.
Good Luck!

Old 03-06-2008, 02:20 PM

6 posts, read 21,938 times
I don't think "flaming" you would be right..because I have to agree that Syosset isn't what it used to be, but that's the 21st century, not Syosset! I refer to those kind of people you described as Yuppie Larva! They are the offspring of people that thought their kids shouldn't be held accountabl for anything! The "not my kid" generation. I was born in Syosset in 1955 and lived my whole life here. I have never seen a closer knit town anywhere. My parents always had money and never lacked for anything, but they made us work for what we wanted. and...if you think this generation is bad, wait until the next generation, spawned by the "more hardware in their face than a chrysler" generation has kids! Syosset is a wonderful town. Go to Syossetscrapbook.com and see what we are made of.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:46 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
IMO, You can't even compare the two. Garden city is the way to go. The charm of the older houses verse split levels....please. Religion might be a factor, GC has been termed WASPY and syosset more diverse. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2008, 03:58 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,540 times
Between those two, I would have to choose Garden City. But the plots of land are TINY & the surrounding areas are VERY different than Garden City. Its really its own little enclave (which is good or bad, depending on your lifestyle & perspective). But personally, I would choose one of the North Shore towns in a good school district over either of those two...there are so many nice ones.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:16 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
IMO, You can't even compare the two. Garden city is the way to go. The charm of the older houses verse split levels....please. Religion might be a factor, GC has been termed WASPY and syosset more diverse. Good luck!
I know this is an old thread but whatever haha....

I think Garden City, if you've got the money, is probably one of the best places you can live anywhere. I don't spend a ton of time there and have known few people from GC over the years, but if there's some kind of WASP-y snobbery there I've never personally experienced it. The architecture, the layout, the landscaping, 7th avenue, the cathedral, st. pauls....it's really an epic place to live and I can't say I've ever really seen anything else like it.

Like you said KB, Syosset has split level homes and "good schools". Absolutely awe inspiring! There's really is no comparison whatsoever. Rans - I fully believe Syosset was a great place to live way back when, but in my lifetime the people from the south of Syosset and Plainview area are the epitome of what people think of when they think of obnoxious Long Islanders. Driving down Jericho Turnpike is like not being able to wake up from a bad dream.

The north part is nice, but that's almost Gold Coast territory...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island