Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,246 times

Advertisements

Hi! So my family and I are looking for homes in Nassau County to move to. My dad told me to look in Hicksville and Elmont, but were also open to other options. I looked in Malverne, but I heard its too racist there for an Asian family (South Asian). We want a nice suburban area, and our budget is about 420k. No more than that. If you could give me some suggestions, that would be awesomesauce. Our preferences for a house would be 5,000+ square feet lot, a house that's bigger than 1,300, and it has to have at least 4 beds, 2 baths are mandatory, even more than that would be great, and it has to have a basement. We don't want a house that looks old, too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 02:12 PM

49 posts, read 160,923 times
Have you looked at New Hyde Park? I have some Asian friends who live there with their young families.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:31 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
BTW that is an ilegal question to ask a realtor and a racist question in itself. Kinda a an oxymoron

Malverne has terrible school by the way. Cute town.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:32 PM

783 posts, read 1,423,837 times
Listen to your dad. Hicksville meets all your criteria.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:32 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
I second New Hyde Park BUT, that budget and those "have to's" are going to be mutually exclusive to a large degree, something will have to give. Hicksville, is probably a bit more doable at that budget.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:36 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
I agree w/ Hicksville. You will find homes in the 420K range and it will have decent space, the school district is decent (depending on who you ask), and good commuting options to NYC. If you look in New Hyde Park, Elmont, Malverne - the homes are on smaller lots, and the space is much more congested in that area of the Island. Your 420K won't get you as much house as what you would find in Hicksville, and perhaps other areas like East Meadow, Wantagh and Levittown.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:34 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Not to dwell on school rankings some more (but I will) - Hicksville is pretty far down the list - as in only avg on LI. I'm surprised so many Indians value being in a comfortable setting (big Indian population) over the schools for their kids. We lived in Hicksville 7 years and loved the area for its value, safety, and convenience, but only moved out because of the schools. Other than that, it does meet your criteria well so it depends on how well you want your school district to perform for your kids.

Bethpage would also meet your criteria and you'd only be 1 town away from all the stores. MUCH better schools than Hicksville. It's 85% white but they will not be racist to asians. Not many are.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:29 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyTheMuffinHead View Post
Hi! So my family and I are looking for homes in Nassau County to move to. My dad told me to look in Hicksville and Elmont, but were also open to other options. I looked in Malverne, but I heard its too racist there for an Asian family (South Asian). We want a nice suburban area, and our budget is about 420k. No more than that. If you could give me some suggestions, that would be awesomesauce. Our preferences for a house would be 5,000+ square feet lot, a house that's bigger than 1,300, and it has to have at least 4 beds, 2 baths are mandatory, even more than that would be great, and it has to have a basement. We don't want a house that looks old, too. Thanks!
Valley Stream, Elmont, New Hyde Park and Hicksville have very large South Asian populations.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 12-10-2014 at 06:48 PM..

Old 12-10-2014, 11:09 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,990 times
Look at Herricks... very high achieving schools and a lot of Indians.

Also... no one is going to "racist" towards you wherever you go.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:14 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Not to dwell on school rankings some more (but I will) - Hicksville is pretty far down the list - as in only avg on LI. I'm surprised so many Indians value being in a comfortable setting (big Indian population) over the schools for their kids. We lived in Hicksville 7 years and loved the area for its value, safety, and convenience, but only moved out because of the schools. Other than that, it does meet your criteria well so it depends on how well you want your school district to perform for your kids.

Bethpage would also meet your criteria and you'd only be 1 town away from all the stores. MUCH better schools than Hicksville. It's 85% white but they will not be racist to asians. Not many are.

I don't think many are worried about school rankings because they may feel their kids will overcome it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island