Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 01:04 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,192,462 times

Advertisements

This must be why the pharmaceutical companies want to be granted immunity from lawsuits? They must feel the vaccines & drugs they make are so safe that no on will sue them!

To each their own on this & so many other subjects. I for the record am against vaccines. You have your rights to believe what you believe. For the people that have Autism..they have their rights to be suspicious that the vaccines harmed them. If they were safe they would not need protection from the people that are damaged from their products. We all know we can trust the gov't & the FDA. LOL!

Old 01-22-2015, 04:17 AM

664 posts, read 803,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
I for the record am against vaccines. You have your rights to believe what you believe. For the people that have Autism..they have their rights to be suspicious that the vaccines harmed them. If they were safe they would not need protection from the people that are damaged from their products. We all know we can trust the gov't & the FDA. LOL!
Amen.

And no one should be forced to take a vaccine -- or any drug -- against their will.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:01 AM

10,194 posts, read 6,257,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is so much bad information in this ancient, resurrected thread that I hardly know where to begin.

Vaccines do not cause autism. Not the thimerosal (which is no longer in children's vaccines), not the whole vaccine, not any individual substance in the vaccines. That has been unequivocally demonstrated, wasting millions of dollars that could have been spent on finding the real causes of autism (genetics is a big one) in the process.

The toxins in vaccines myth:

Toxic myths about vaccines « Science-Based Medicine

Vaccines have nothing to do with antibiotic resistance. In fact, by preventing infections, vaccines reduce the overall use of antibiotics. Although antibiotics do not treat viruses, some people with viral infections get superimposed bacterial infections that do need antibiotics. An example would be a child with chickenpox who gets an infection from scratching the blisters.

Speaking of chickenpox, the reason there is a vaccine is because it can cause serious illness and, rarely, death.

Chickenpox | Complications | Varicella | CDC

It is not yet known if a booster dose of chickenpox vaccine will be needed.

Vaccines: VPD-VAC/Varicella/Vaccine Effectiveness and Duration of Protection

"Several studies have shown that people vaccinated against varicella [chickenpox] had antibodies for at least 10 to 20 years after vaccination. But, these studies were done before the vaccine was widely used and when infection with wild-type varicella was still very common.
A case-control study conducted from 1997 to 2003 showed that 1 dose of varicella vaccine was 97% effective in the first year after vaccination and 86% effective in the second year. From the second to eighth year after vaccination, the vaccine effectiveness remained stable at 81 to 86%. Most vaccinated children who developed varicella during the 8 years after vaccination had mild disease
A clinical trial showed that children with 2 doses of varicella vaccine were protected 10 years after being vaccinated. Fewer people had breakthrough varicella after 2 doses compared with 1 dose. The risk of breakthrough varicella did not increase over time."

If it turns out that a booster is needed, so what? We use boosters against other diseases, too.

Not vaccinating your children against HPV or hepatitis B is playing ostrich. You have no way to predict the sexual history of any partner your child may choose in the future, and if you think you can, you have more than your head buried in the sand.

There is no reason to use any alternative vaccine schedule. The schedule most pediatricians use is based on sound science and designed to get kids protected against preventable diseases as quickly as possible. Alternate schedules increase the risk of missed doses and leave children vulnerable to catching something before they are protected. If you just do not want multiple injections on one visit, most pediatricians will work with you on that. If you do not vaccinate at all, many of them do not want you coming to their office where you might expose infants too young to be vaccinated and other patients (including kids with cancer) to vaccine preventable diseases. One of "Dr. Bob's" unvaccinated patients started a measles outbreak, infecting four others - in Dr. Bob's waiting room:

Just the Vax: 2008: Measles in Dr. Bob Sears' Waiting Room

Three of the infected were infants too young to be vaccinated, one of whom became very sick and was hospitalized, eventually having a fever of 106 degrees. One was a two year old whose parents had intentionally delayed vaccinating him.

It gets better: apparently someone in "Dr. Bob's" office did a poor job diagnosing the kid's measles, meaning the child exposed even more people.

The measles story continues this year:

An unvaccinated woman helped spread measles in a current outbreak that started at Disneyland:

Measles outbreak spreads in US after unvaccinated woman visits Disneyland | US news | The Guardian

The index (first) case in that outbreak has not been identified, but typically for US outbreaks the disease is brought in by a traveler, usually unvaccinated, who brings it from another country.

Five Things To Know About The Disneyland Measles Outbreak - Forbes

Timeline on the California cases tied to the outbreak started at Disneyland:

2 More Orange County Measles Cases; 59 in State with 42 Linked to Disney Resorts: Update | OC Weekly

Other cases have been found in Utah, Washington, Colorado and Mexico. The Mexican case is a 22-month-old girl.

Oops, more people getting measles as I type:

67 confirmed cases of measles in California-centered outbreak - LA Times

Anyone wondering what this is going to cost before it's controlled?

Meanwhile, Dr. Bob says it's no big deal:

Quoth “Dr. Bob” Sears: Poor, poor pitiful me, you stupid people – Respectful Insolence

Whooping cough continues to be a problem, and geographical areas with clusters of whooping cough cases correspond to geographic areas with larger numbers of unvaccinated pre-school children.

Nonmedical Vaccine Exemptions and Pertussis in California, 2010

Vaccination Opt-Outs Found to Contribute to Whooping Cough Outbreaks in Kids - Scientific American

"A California whooping cough epidemic in 2010 was one of the worst U.S. outbreaks of the disease in the past several decades. Ten infant deaths occurred among the more than 9,000 cases—the most in that state since 1947. Now, a study reveals that parental refusals to vaccinate their children may have played a part in that epidemic and possibly in a concurrent nationwide resurgence of the disease. The research found significant overlaps of areas with high numbers of whooping cough cases and areas where more parents had sought legal exemptions to opt out vaccinating their children."

What a poster here has to say about her personal experience with whooping cough:

//www.city-data.com/forum/38113335-post88.html

As far as knowing as much about vaccines as your child's doctor, I'll believe that if you have four years of medical school and three years of a pediatrics residency. If your information is from the internet, you most assuredly do not know as much. The most vehement anti-vaxers have no expertise in vaccines or immunology, but they have web sites that are easy to find. Many of them will be happy to sell you supplements, books, and videos, too.

The pediatricians that allow you to have your "alternate" schedule? They do not believe in it, they just want your children to be vaccinated. If they believed there was any reason to use an "alternate" schedule, all their patients would be on it.
The key in that Disney outbreak is "unvaccinated WOMAN". Three more ADULT Disney employees have come down with measles. Doesn't it make you wonder where all these unvaccinated adults are coming from? Their Mommies and Daddies are refusing to vaccinate them because they listened to Dr. Jenny? Let's pass some more laws keeping them out of SCHOOL! Deny them employment, anywhere, anyhow, unless they show their Papers, Citizen?

In the case of the Disney employees the article did not state whether they were vaccinated or not. Hmm.That brings up another question. What do you mean by unvaccinated? Never had MMR? If you go there, you would have to include a lot of older people who had actual measles, but no MMR. Require blood testing of ALL adults to see if they really are still immune? Or make them get a vax anyway? Vaccinated, but not up to date on boosters? How do you determine that one? How would you force that on anyone over 18 years old?

You paint far to narrow a brush stroke with the Dr. Jenny and parents of young children. There are a lot of adults around who do not have young children who feel as they do, for THEMSELVES.

These vax do not give lifetime immunity. They require more and more and more boosters into ADULTHOOD. What is the "Final Solution" addressing the problem of unvaccinated adults, not LITTLE CHILDREN with Dr. Jenny loving parents?

Old 01-22-2015, 10:01 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,419,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Hi I'm looking for a Pediatrician who is open minded about vaccinations and willing to delay and postpone scheduled vaccinations. I'm also looking for someone who's not an alarmist, meaning prescribing antibiotics or medication for every little thing. Someone with good common sense and flexible approach to medicine. Thanks.
My pediatrician just sends the kids to Disneyworld instead of vacinating. More fun and same result

Old 01-22-2015, 10:23 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,419,982 times
Seriously, back in 2007 there were few cases of chicken pox due to a vaccine being rolled out in 1995. Talk about long odds my daughter was one of those cases.

I do vaccinate. So how did this happen. Pretty easy. My wife had chicken pox as a small child. She also later did have the MMR shot. A few months after giving birth while still breast feeding out of blue wife caught shingles.

Shingles can happen later in life if you had chicken pox as a child. It usually hits when you are tired and exhausted and stressed. Also hits later on in life so from mid thirties on you can get it. Suprise Suprise stressed moms having last kid watching a newborn with 2-3 other kids and a husband and a house are stressed.

Anyhow, my wife got shingles pretty suddenly, pains, redmarks etc that she called her doctor's emergency number at 4am and he knew what it was in a minute and sent her straight to emergency room.

Around a day or two later my ten month old daughter gets redmarks and I immediately get an emergency pediatrician appointment. Turns out she has chicken pox. I told doctor we authorized all shots so why was there no shot. Turns out they dont do Chicken Pox shot till baby is one year old. Chicken Pox is very dangerous for infants and it can also cause scaring. We caught it right away, cut the nails, put socks on her hands and monitored her closely and it worked out. However, now she could end up with shingles as an adult.

Anyhow Chickpox deaths declined by 98.5% in children and adolescents less than 20 years of age during 2008 to 2009 compared with 1990 to 1994. This is all a result of the vaccine in 1995. My two oldest children would have caught it, the folks in the emergency room could have got it and the folks in the Pediatrician office all could have got Chicken Pox if it was not for the were all vaccinated. It would have been a mini outbreak. My other kids of course were older and in school. So they would have gone to school with Chickpox that next day and infected two schools. Heck my older kid next day did a playdate after school before we realized her younger sister had chicken pox.

It my older kids, myself and the doctors were not all vacinated it would have been a huge issue.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:22 PM

36,994 posts, read 41,017,756 times
Quote:
This must be why the pharmaceutical companies want to be granted immunity from lawsuits? They must feel the vaccines & drugs they make are so safe that no on will sue them!

To each their own on this & so many other subjects. I for the record am against vaccines. You have your rights to believe what you believe. For the people that have Autism..they have their rights to be suspicious that the vaccines harmed them. If they were safe they would not need protection from the people that are damaged from their products. We all know we can trust the gov't & the FDA. LOL!
That vaccine manufacturers have "immunity" from lawsuits is a fallacy. The fact is that people with recognized severe complications from vaccines can get compensated through a national program, financed by a surcharge on vaccine, without having to sue at all. It is necessary to go through that program first, but if you do not agree with the determination of the court that administers the program, you may sue if you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
The key in that Disney outbreak is "unvaccinated WOMAN". Three more ADULT Disney employees have come down with measles. Doesn't it make you wonder where all these unvaccinated adults are coming from? Their Mommies and Daddies are refusing to vaccinate them because they listened to Dr. Jenny? Let's pass some more laws keeping them out of SCHOOL! Deny them employment, anywhere, anyhow, unless they show their Papers, Citizen?

In the case of the Disney employees the article did not state whether they were vaccinated or not. Hmm.That brings up another question. What do you mean by unvaccinated? Never had MMR? If you go there, you would have to include a lot of older people who had actual measles, but no MMR. Require blood testing of ALL adults to see if they really are still immune? Or make them get a vax anyway? Vaccinated, but not up to date on boosters? How do you determine that one? How would you force that on anyone over 18 years old?

You paint far to narrow a brush stroke with the Dr. Jenny and parents of young children. There are a lot of adults around who do not have young children who feel as they do, for THEMSELVES.

These vax do not give lifetime immunity. They require more and more and more boosters into ADULTHOOD. What is the "Final Solution" addressing the problem of unvaccinated adults, not LITTLE CHILDREN with Dr. Jenny loving parents?
Yes, many unvaccinated adults have parents who did not believe in vaccination. Children born in 1998, the year Wakefield perpetrated his fraud, will be 18 this year. Disney employees have to be at least 17. I do not see that the Disney employees who got sick were "adults". That appears to be an assumption on your part.

The vast majority of the measles cases in the outbreak linked to Disney are unvaccinated:

Measles

"Vaccination status is documented for 34 of the 59 cases. Of these 34, 28 were unvaccinated (six of whom were infants too young to be vaccinated), 1 had received one dose and 5 had received two or more doses of MMR vaccine." The vaccine status for Disney employees has not been reported separately.

MMR dosing for adults:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/...ements/mmr.pdf

"Some adults should also get MMR vaccine: Generally, anyone 18 years of age or older who was born after 1956 should get at least one dose of MMR vaccine, unless they can show that they have either been vaccinated or had all three diseases."

Duration of protection for vaccines varies. Some need boosters and some do not.

Duration of Protection, Efficacy and Effectiveness | Immunisation Advisory Centre

For measles, the vaccine provides lifetime protection in over 96% of people who receive the full series.

Your statement that, "These vax do not give lifetime immunity. They require more and more and more boosters into ADULTHOOD." is therefore not true.

Many adults do not vaccinate themselves; however, many adults who were not vaccinated as children do vaccinate themselves and their children when they are old enough to make the decision.

A Nurse Practitioner's Journey Leaving the Anti-Vaccination Movement Voices For Vaccines

Growing Up Unvaccinated - Voices for Vaccines

From Anti-Vax to Pro-Vax Voices For Vaccines

Old 01-22-2015, 12:46 PM

483 posts, read 667,643 times
Quote:

There are suspicions and there is science. The science does not bear out what the suspicions have to say (this dead horse has been beaten over and over again in multiple countries and all signs point to NO LINK. ) Once this happens, it goes from reasonable hypothesis to conspiracy theory. People have the right to call you on that. Also, people on this board tend to hate freeloaders. People who don't get their shots are freeloading on everyone else who gets them-all at the same time undermining the herd immunity they are freeloading on. Most people don't like that, and rightfully so.

I forgot to add Dr. Sears has a specific list of doctors for the OP, but I'm certain his/hers kid is now in school and (hopefully) vaxxed

Last edited by grilba; 01-22-2015 at 01:35 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 03:17 PM

664 posts, read 803,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
There are suspicions and there is science. The science does not bear out what the suspicions have to say (this dead horse has been beaten over and over again in multiple countries and all signs point to NO LINK. ) Once this happens, it goes from reasonable hypothesis to conspiracy theory. People have the right to call you on that. Also, people on this board tend to hate freeloaders. People who don't get their shots are freeloading on everyone else who gets them-all at the same time undermining the herd immunity they are freeloading on. Most people don't like that, and rightfully so.

I forgot to add Dr. Sears has a specific list of doctors for the OP, but I'm certain his/hers kid is now in school and (hopefully) vaxxed
You mean the "science" that is bought and paid for by pharmaceuticals?

Old 01-22-2015, 03:31 PM

19,097 posts, read 16,918,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
Amen.

And no one should be forced to take a vaccine -- or any drug -- against their will.
Maybe so but I and my children shouldn't have to have our health jeopardized as you choose to expressive your personal choice. Don't take offense when your children (if applicable) are restricted from activities and possibly public school as you exercise your rights. I hope you don't travel abroad often because many localities require specific inoculations, but if you object to them then they won't allow you travel to that country.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:39 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,192,462 times
All trials are run by the pharmaceutical companies themselves. Guess that makes them honest. Lets just say we all have our opinions. This debate can go on & on forever. The truth is like always it comes down to making $$. Just like case in point the recent fight for a 17 year old woman that turned down chemo & the doctors reported it & took her away from her parents because her parents defended her right to choose no treatment.

Now if these people were not going to sign any papers taking financial responsibility do you think the doctors,hospitals & drug companies would all be willing to treat these patients for FREE!

No & everyone knows that. The business people hope the gov't will send them $$. It is all about money & you know it.

People have their choices if you don't like it that is too bad. Just like you have your choices...you don't care about my opinion now do you? Apparently not as you continue to ague your point.

You do what I say... I will do what you say. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island