Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Long Island: rental, home beach, apartment, downtown, New York.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:39 AM

8 posts, read 47,576 times

Advertisements

I am a 24 year old, working in the city (NYC) and currently staying with friends. i am looking for a reasonably priced 2bedroom apt b/w 1200-1700 a month. i would like a decent nightlife, other poeple my age, etc, preferrably near a beach. i have heard good things about Long Beach, but not having been there myself im not sure. any advice? about long beach? or any other places i should look into? i liked the williamsburg neighborhood but the apartments are a little out of my price range right now, i could deal with the longer commute to live near the water! but maybe something with that feel out on the island, if thats possible. i just dont think i could bring myself to live in jersey, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 08:49 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Is the beach really that much of a priority for you? I'm asking because after a while of living in long island you might get bored and want to live in the city. You might get tired of taking the LIRR. You wouldn't be the first or the last. The beach and more space are the two advantages of L.I. over the city, and there isn't good weather year round. Have you thought about that?

BTW I have a co-worker from Long Beach. It is a nice middle class area. But she does a lot of her partying in the city. She partys a little in Long Beach and surrounding areas but she mostly goes out in the city. No offense to L.I. but L.I. will never beat the city when it comes to nightlife.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:08 AM

8 posts, read 47,576 times
Default can i afford it

hey i would love to live in the city, but finding an apartment in my price range anywhere that is decent to live has been impossible. i cant find anything that has 2 bedrooms under 2000, and if it does there is no living room, and i cant deal with that. the beach is decently important but if i could actually find an apartment in the city thats not a closet that i would afford id be all over it
and while i like the nightlife i am not the kind of person that cares where i am "seen" or has to go to the opening of every new club, i just want some nice places to hang out with some good people. and i dont want to be living in the middle of an older community where there will be no people with my interests, and thats what im afraid of in LI

Old 04-03-2007, 09:14 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times
Great Neck has young people and a nice downtown, very quick ride to the city. A lot of apartments.

Long Beach has more nightlife, nice area.

Rockville Centre is not right on the beach but very close with a good downtown, etc.

Huntington is a great area. Further out, but LIRR into the city is 55 min.

I moved to Garden City b/c it's a nice area in the center of Nassau. Close to a lot, nice downtown. I would not say it's a nightlife hub, but close to a lot.

On LI, things tend to be more spread out, so the cheaper rent may allow you to get a car and be able to explore even more.

Not sure if you have a car, but even rent one for a weekend and drive around and check out places on Fri/Sat/Sun. It would be worth the time and effort.

LI is very nice, it's not the city, but that's the point. You can be in the city quickly, but then leave when ready.

Good luck.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:09 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,805 times
I just moved from Long Beach and would recommend it to anyone who likes to live at the beach. The nightlife is very vibrant during the summer and slows down a bit during the winter. There a ton of great restaraunts that have opened up in the past few years and it has become somewhat trendy. It still has a middle class feel to it, especially in the west end but it is clean and relatively low crime.

I would recommend looking for an apartment in the center of town (called the Westholme section) ... parking can be atrocious during the summer in the west end and you would be closer to the LIRR. A little farther from the bar scene so you'll have to take a cab when you go home but it will be worth it. Plus the boardwalk starts at New York Blvd and you cannot beat an evening bike ride or stroll on the boardwalk!!

Long Beach also has a decent Recreation Center with a gym and pool off Magnolia Blvd, the building ais a little dated but they are scheduled to start renovations soon.

LIRR is about $200 a month and takes about 55 minutes to Penn Station.

I'll PM you with a name who may help out in your search.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:38 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
I just moved from Long Beach and would recommend it to anyone who likes to live at the beach. The nightlife is very vibrant during the summer and slows down a bit during the winter. There a ton of great restaraunts that have opened up in the past few years and it has become somewhat trendy. It still has a middle class feel to it, especially in the west end but it is clean and relatively low crime.

I would recommend looking for an apartment in the center of town (called the Westholme section) ... parking can be atrocious during the summer in the west end and you would be closer to the LIRR. A little farther from the bar scene so you'll have to take a cab when you go home but it will be worth it. Plus the boardwalk starts at New York Blvd and you cannot beat an evening bike ride or stroll on the boardwalk!!

Long Beach also has a decent Recreation Center with a gym and pool off Magnolia Blvd, the building ais a little dated but they are scheduled to start renovations soon.

LIRR is about $200 a month and takes about 55 minutes to Penn Station.

I'll PM you with a name who may help out in your search.
Why did you leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island