Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 12:29 AM

16 posts, read 9,034 times

Advertisements

Hello, i need advice as i have never encountered something like this,

1 month ago i signed a 1 year lease at a house where the landlord lives on the upper floor, last friday he came to us and told my wife " i dont care where you are going to live because you dont belong here you are not on the lease"

Me and 1 other person are on the lease BUT on our application for the broker we put down 2 other people that will be living here ( there is a section for that)

We got into an argument and he ran off to the broker the broker called us and said the deal is the rent is going to be raised 600 right away or you guys have to leave...

I told her i will leave but i want ALL my money back including the first months rent that i used to get it.that would be for moving fees and time off work and inconvenience, broker fee and security, she said fine, feeling alittle attacked i called the brokers company and they got back to me saying they will give me the money back but she is not sure yet how much..

From my understanding a tenent is legally allowed to have his family live with him/her example son/wife without being on the lease, ( even though she is on the application anyway)

Another note is i found out the apartment is not legal even though i got it from a popular broker company..

I guess im just asking if they dont give me said amount needed if i still have to leave?

And i have text from the broker saying she made a mistake by not telling the landlord there will be 4 people not three..

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 05:50 AM

755 posts, read 1,079,353 times
You never have to leave until after you are evicted and the sheriff comes knocking.

Hopefully you get back the broker fee and just move on. Wouldn’t hold my breath getting back 1st months rent since you did live there.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:25 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,332 times
You and everyone living with you are on a one year lease. You cannot be forced to move unless you're in violation of that lease and the LL gets an eviction order from the courts. Also, your rent cannot be raised until the lease is up. You can tell your LL to pound sand, or if you'd like to move, you have pretty much all the leverage here. I'd suggest doing exactly what you did - demanding all your money back, plus moving expenses, plus any costs associated with having to take time off work and such.

You can mention that you'll be glad to call your local code enforcement/housing department and inform them of the illegal apartment, and if you want to go full scorched earth, you could put a tip in with the IRS just for good measure since it's highly unlikely the landlord is paying any taxes on any of the rental income.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:44 AM

Thank you everyone for the support, at this point if feels uncomfortable being here..i will like to keep everyone updated as things unfold for some advice

Old 05-22-2018, 01:41 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Just tell the landlord and the broker that this doesn't sound right to you because you have a lease and are going to check with the building department and code enforcement to see if they can change the terms based on occupancy. That should get their attention.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:08 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,201 times
So you lied on the application?

Old 05-22-2018, 06:25 PM

20,021 posts, read 20,822,731 times
The landlord lives upstairs?
Go eat some Indian food and fart in the air ducts.
Every night.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:47 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The landlord lives upstairs?
Go eat some Indian food and fart in the air ducts.
Every night.
Maybe the landlord is Indian and would like it...

Old 05-22-2018, 06:48 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,201 times
You can not just move in whomever you want.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:16 PM

I did not lie on the application, there are 4 names on the application the broker told the landlord only 3 people, im guessing to get us in , but anyway by law i am allowed to have my wife live with me without being on the lease no?
The background check was me and 1 other person as requested and asked only for the names of additional persons who will be living there( my wife and 1 other person making a total of 4 people)

What i also found out was that this apartment is illegal and it is not just the owners house it is shared with his other brother who moved so i am guessing something happened as we were the first renters of his house, so im thinking something else is going on here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island