U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 AM
 
9,341 posts, read 28,288,152 times
Reputation: 4546

Advertisements

This revision corrects (1 correction in bold) and updates (6 additions in italics) //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html, posted on September 16, 2007.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

The USPS uses non-conforming postal zones -- now referred to as ZIP Codes -- and this leads to severe geographic confusions about where a particular place may be located in the cities, villages and hamlets of Nassau and Suffolk Counties.

Of all 293 communities (2 cities, 96 villages and 195 hamlets) located on Long Island, only the Village of Sea Cliff in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County and its same-named postal zone have identical borders. All the other postal zones in either county have a different border from the community (city, village or hamlet) whose name the postal zone "shares".

The following should help you understand better the confusion between postal zone community and true community -- and, it may also bring a smile or two to your lips:

This is a preliminary and partial listing of famous Long Island places that are "Not Where You Think They Are". It's somewhat incredulous that the majority of places in Nassau and Suffolk Counties have a different community name in their mailing address than the community they are actually in,


………You Ain't Where You Think You Are
………….Place, Community (Postal Zone)

Adventureland, Hamlet of East Farmingdale (Farmingdale, NY)

Brookhaven National Laboratory, Hamlet of Yaphank (Upton, NY)

Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery & Aquarium, Village of Laurel Hollow (Cold Spring Harbor, NY)

Cold Spring Harbor Lab, Village of Laurel Hollow (Cold Spring Harbor, NY)

Christopher Morley Park, Village of North Hills (Roslyn, NY)

C.W. Post University, Village of Brookville (Greenvale, NY)

Cradle of Aviation Museum, Hamlet of East Garden City (Garden City, NY)

Fishers Island, Hamlet of Fishers Island (Fishers Island, CT)

Fortunoff, Hamlet of East Garden City (Westbury NY)

Green Acres Mall, Hamlet of South Valley Stream (Valley Stream NY)

Hofstra University Dorms, Hamlet of East Garden City (Hempstead, NY)

Jericho Cider Mill, Village of Muttontown (Jericho, NY)

Leonard's of Great Neck, Hamlet of University Gardens (Great Neck, NY)

Long Island Jewish Hospital, Village of Lake Success (New Hyde Park, NY)

Long Island RR Station, Village of Great Neck Plaza (Great Neck, NY)

Long Island RR Station, Hamlet of East Northport (Northport, NY)

Mall at The Source, Hamlet of East Garden City (Westbury, NY)

Nassau Executive Building, Village of Garden City (Mineola, NY)

Nassau County Community College, Hamlet of East Garden City (Garden City, NY)

Nassau County Family Court, Hamlet of Salisbury (Westbury NY)

Nassau County Juvenile Detention Center, Hamlet of Salisbury (Westbury NY)

Nassau County Supreme Court, Village of Garden City (Mineola, NY)

Planting Fields Arboretum, Village of Upper Brookville (Oyster Bay, NY)

Republic Airport, Hamlet of East Farmingdale (Farmingdale, NY)

Roosevelt Field, Hamlet of East Garden City (Garden City, NY)

Sagamore Hill, Village of Cove Neck (Oyster Bay, NY)

St. Francis Hospital, Village of Flower Hill (Roslyn, NY)

Sands Point Preserve, Village of Sands Point (Port Washington, NY).

SUNY Farmingdale, Hamlet of East Farmingdale (Farmingdale, NY)

Suffolk Old County Seat, Hamlet of Riverside (Riverhead, NY)

Sunrise Mall, Hamlet of East Massapequa (Massapequa, NY)

Nikola Tesla Lab, East Shoreham (Shoreham, NY)

The Tides, Hamlet of Sound Beach (Rocky Point, NY)

Tilles Center, Village of Brookville (Greenvale, NY)

Troop L, NYS Police, Hamlet of East Farmingdale (Farmingdale, NY)

Michael J. Tully Park, North New Hyde Park (New Hyde Park, NY)

Veteran's Memorial Coliseum, Hamlet of East Garden City (Uniondale, NY)

Walt Whitman House, Hamlet of West Hills (Huntington Station, NY)

Walt Whitman Mall, Hamlet of South Huntington (Huntington Station, NY)

Westbury Music Fair, Hamlet of Jericho (Westbury, NY)


Please post a reply if you know of additional places that "Ain't Where You Think You Are" that I can add to the above list.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2009, 03:35 PM
 
7,658 posts, read 18,283,471 times
Reputation: 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
This revision corrects (1 correction in bold) and updates (6 additions in italics) //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html, posted on September 16, 2007.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

The USPS uses non-conforming postal zones -- now referred to as ZIP Codes -- and this leads to severe geographic confusions about where a particular place may be located in the cities, villages and hamlets of Nassau and Suffolk Counties.

Of all 293 communities (2 cities, 96 villages and 195 hamlets) located on Long Island, only the Village of Sea Cliff in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County and its same-named postal zone have identical borders. All the other postal zones in either county have a different border from the community (city, village or hamlet) whose name the postal zone "shares".

The following should help you understand better the confusion between postal zone community and true community -- and, it may also bring a smile or two to your lips:

This is a preliminary and partial listing of famous Long Island places that are "Not Where You Think They Are". It's somewhat incredulous that the majority of places in Nassau and Suffolk Counties have a different community name in their mailing address than the community they are actually in,


………You Ain't Where You Think You Are
………….Place, Community (Postal Zone)

Adventureland, Hamlet of East Farmingdale (Farmingdale, NY)

Brookhaven National Laboratory, Hamlet of Yaphank (Upton, NY)

Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery & Aquarium, Village of Laurel Hollow (Cold Spring Harbor, NY)

Cold Spring Harbor Lab, Village of Laurel Hollow (Cold Spring Harbor, NY)

Christopher Morley Park, Village of North Hills (Roslyn, NY)

C.W. Post University, Village of Brookville (Greenvale, NY)

Cradle of Aviation Museum, Hamlet of East Garden City (Garden City, NY)

Fishers Island, Hamlet of Fishers Island (Fishers Island, CT)

Fortunoff, Hamlet of East Garden City (Westbury NY)

Green Acres Mall, Hamlet of South Valley Stream (Valley Stream NY)

Hofstra University Dorms, Hamlet of East Garden City (Hempstead, NY)

Jericho Cider Mill, Village of Muttontown (Jericho, NY)

Leonard's of Great Neck, Hamlet of University Gardens (Great Neck, NY)

Long Island Jewish Hospital, Village of Lake Success (New Hyde Park, NY)

Long Island RR Station, Village of Great Neck Plaza (Great Neck, NY)

Long Island RR Station, Hamlet of East Northport (Northport, NY)

Mall at The Source, Hamlet of East Garden City (Westbury, NY)

Nassau Executive Building, Village of Garden City (Mineola, NY)

Nassau County Community College, Hamlet of East Garden City (Garden City, NY)

Nassau County Family Court, Hamlet of Salisbury (Westbury NY)

Nassau County Juvenile Detention Center, Hamlet of Salisbury (Westbury NY)

Nassau County Supreme Court, Village of Garden City (Mineola, NY)

Planting Fields Arboretum, Village of Upper Brookville (Oyster Bay, NY)

Republic Airport, Hamlet of East Farmingdale (Farmingdale, NY)

Roosevelt Field, Hamlet of East Garden City (Garden City, NY)

Sagamore Hill, Village of Cove Neck (Oyster Bay, NY)

St. Francis Hospital, Village of Flower Hill (Roslyn, NY)

Sands Point Preserve, Village of Sands Point (Port Washington, NY).

SUNY Farmingdale, Hamlet of East Farmingdale (Farmingdale, NY)

Suffolk Old County Seat, Hamlet of Riverside (Riverhead, NY)

Sunrise Mall, Hamlet of East Massapequa (Massapequa, NY)

Nikola Tesla Lab, East Shoreham (Shoreham, NY)

The Tides, Hamlet of Sound Beach (Rocky Point, NY)

Tilles Center, Village of Brookville (Greenvale, NY)

Troop L, NYS Police, Hamlet of East Farmingdale (Farmingdale, NY)

Michael J. Tully Park, North New Hyde Park (New Hyde Park, NY)

Veteran's Memorial Coliseum, Hamlet of East Garden City (Uniondale, NY)

Walt Whitman House, Hamlet of West Hills (Huntington Station, NY)

Walt Whitman Mall, Hamlet of South Huntington (Huntington Station, NY)

Westbury Music Fair, Hamlet of Jericho (Westbury, NY)


Please post a reply if you know of additional places that "Ain't Where You Think You Are" that I can add to the above list.

The Tides are not in Sound Beach but is Scotts Beach?

Crooks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2009, 04:58 PM
 
9,341 posts, read 28,288,152 times
Reputation: 4546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
The Tides are not in Sound Beach but is Scotts Beach?
Crooks, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) The Tides and Scotts Beach are actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2009, 09:31 PM
 
1,010 posts, read 3,762,311 times
Reputation: 185
Walter, one modification: The front of LIJ is located in Lake Success. The bulk of the hospital is located in New York City. This is important to note because the NYC DOH regulates the hospital, the city clerk issues all birth and death certificates, and in any health statistics it is listed under Queens.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2009, 07:42 AM
 
7,658 posts, read 18,283,471 times
Reputation: 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Crooks, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) The Tides and Scotts Beach are actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Im guessing no, if it were, Sound Beaches HHI would be on par with Miller Place since it would then inlude two highly affluent areas of Rocky Point and Miller Place.

Interesting stuff Walter.

Thanks

Crooks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2009, 08:20 AM
 
9,341 posts, read 28,288,152 times
Reputation: 4546
Default A map of the Hamlet of Sound Beach

A map of the Hamlet of Sound Beach:
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 09:35 AM
 
Location: East Massapequa, NY
23 posts, read 108,241 times
Reputation: 14
man, east farmingdale gets no respect!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 10:16 AM
 
Location: I'm gettin' there
2,666 posts, read 7,000,143 times
Reputation: 834
Fishers Island was an interesting one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top