U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 09:58 AM

186 posts, read 701,107 times

Advertisements

Okay, we are considering Glen Cove as one of the severely limited options for renting in Nassau. I work in New Hyde Park and Westbury (2 offices), while my wife goes to downtown Manhattan. We would rather not go any further from the city than where we are now (Mineola area) because that would make her commute crazy. We don't have too many options because we don't like renting a floor in a house, and prefer stand-alone apartments.

We are going to check the Avalon apartments in GC, but wanted to find out about the place a bit. I have not some not-so-great things about Glen Cove (illegals, horrible LIRR line etc). Is that all true or is it not as bad as some folks think/say it is.

Does anyone have any other suggestions - good, bad or ugly?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 11:13 AM

13,267 posts, read 15,678,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeshpan View Post
Okay, we are considering Glen Cove as one of the severely limited options for renting in Nassau. I work in New Hyde Park and Westbury (2 offices), while my wife goes to downtown Manhattan. We would rather not go any further from the city than where we are now (Mineola area) because that would make her commute crazy. We don't have too many options because we don't like renting a floor in a house, and prefer stand-alone apartments.

We are going to check the Avalon apartments in GC, but wanted to find out about the place a bit. I have not some not-so-great things about Glen Cove (illegals, horrible LIRR line etc). Is that all true or is it not as bad as some folks think/say it is.

Does anyone have any other suggestions - good, bad or ugly?
There are good parts of Glen Cove, OK parts, and bad parts. It's basically a small city with some big city problems.. a few housing projects, a lot of illegals, some gang activity. It is moving more towards the bad in general, and the school is starting to develop problems (part of Glen Cove goes to North Shore Schools, and that's basically all good). The LIRR line is slow and one of the least favorably regarded. That being said, it's not overly dangerous or anything..it'll be fine if you live there for a few years, but I wouldn't think about raising a family there.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:52 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the response. Any idea about the Glen Street area where the Avalon apartments are located?

We are just a young couple so not really worried about kids and schools. But I think if the LIRR line truly sucks, then it will be a problem because my wife will take it everyday. We are also considering Great Neck, but there isn't any open rentals there unless we go through a broker. Other than that, I don't see too many options around New Hyde Park

Old 05-08-2009, 01:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 31,352,005 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response. Any idea about the Glen Street area where the Avalon apartments are located?

We are just a young couple so not really worried about kids and schools. But I think if the LIRR line truly sucks, then it will be a problem because my wife will take it everyday. We are also considering Great Neck, but there isn't any open rentals there unless we go through a broker. Other than that, I don't see too many options around New Hyde Park
Note that the Great Neck LIRR line only goes to midtown Manhattan in Penn Station. A lot of people who work downtown prefer to go to Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn and take the subway up a few stops because it's a quicker trip to downtown and has more subway options.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Note that the Great Neck LIRR line only goes to midtown Manhattan in Penn Station. A lot of people who work downtown prefer to go to Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn and take the subway up a few stops because it's a quicker trip to downtown and has more subway options.
That actually is true, and my wife prefers going to FB Ave herself, but then that leaves us with options like Valley Stream, Baldwin etc...But again, anything further east of Valley Stream is more time than what she spends today from Mineola...so just not sure what would be best!

Old 05-08-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
That actually is true, and my wife prefers going to FB Ave herself, but then that leaves us with options like Valley Stream, Baldwin etc...But again, anything further east of Valley Stream is more time than what she spends today from Mineola...so just not sure what would be best!
I live in Valley Stream and I like it. I also commute to NYC and find it very convenient and that's why I live so close to Queens. I could not live in eastern Nassau or Suffolk County, although there are many areas I like out there.

There are buildings in Valley Stream. There are a lot of coop buildings in Gibson (walk Gibson LIRR) and some allow the owners to rent their apartments to tenants. There are a couple of buildings in VS Village that are walk Valley Stream LIRR, although beware one of them (always advertised on craigslist) is seriously overpriced and you can do better by a couple of $100 in the other one and get a larger apartment to boot (plus free parking). Also a little further east (the next town) is Lynbrook that has a lot of buildings similar to Gibson, some of them walk LIRR.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:23 PM

Another thought is look for buildings in eastern Queens ... Bayside has a LIRR station and is convenient to the parkways for your travels to work also.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I live in Valley Stream and I like it. I also commute to NYC and find it very convenient and that's why I live so close to Queens. I could not live in eastern Nassau or Suffolk County, although there are many areas I like out there.

There are buildings in Valley Stream. There are a lot of coop buildings in Gibson (walk Gibson LIRR) and some allow the owners to rent their apartments to tenants. There are a couple of buildings in VS Village that are walk Valley Stream LIRR, although beware one of them (always advertised on craigslist) is seriously overpriced and you can do better by a couple of $100 in the other one and get a larger apartment to boot (plus free parking). Also a little further east (the next town) is Lynbrook that has a lot of buildings similar to Gibson, some of them walk LIRR.
We looked at a couple of places there but found parking to be somewhat of a problem (not a fan of street parking). One place was around the Green Acres Mall and I heard a lot of things against that area.

Would you be kind enough to let me know of any places you remember off the top of your head in Valley Stream (web sites, phone #)? May be in a PM if not here?

Thanks for all the info so far though!

Old 05-08-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Another thought is look for buildings in eastern Queens ... Bayside has a LIRR station and is convenient to the parkways for your travels to work also.
We both prefer a more suburban setting. unlike Queens, where we can easily drive around and don't have to rely on public transport more than a car. I really like being further out from Queens but I guess I don't have very many options in that case...

Old 05-08-2009, 05:45 PM

330 posts, read 836,831 times
Quote:
We both prefer a more suburban setting. unlike Queens, where we can easily drive around and don't have to rely on public transport more than a car. I really like being further out from Queens but I guess I don't have very many options in that case...
Bayside is somewhat like this, its almost like a part of long island, just a little bit tighter but fairly suburban and can drive around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island