Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:20 PM

37 posts, read 71,238 times

Advertisements

After asking around there does seem to be some consensus that the area between merrick ave and the parkway is less desirable. I haven't been in that area so can't say whether or not this is the case, but have been east of merrick and the areas are quite beautiful.

Not quite sure what we'll do yet, but wanted to thank everyone for their helpful feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 03:55 PM

28 posts, read 79,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan2k View Post
We've been looking at purchasing a home and considering North Merrick. Having driven through the area, it seems like a pretty nice place. After speaking with some agents, they mention there are some areas to stay away from but not sure specifically where they mean.

I don't particularly care for the the close proximity to Uniondale/Roosevelt, any reason to be concerned about this, or info on the 'areas to stay away from'?

Also wanted to know how North Merrick school district stacks up (Calhoun HS) with North Bellmore, Bellmore and Wantagh school districts (other areas we are looking in).

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
I live in Merrick for 5 yrs now. It is great. The schools are excell.
IMO - North Merrick - is nice but you now in real estate is location ,location and again location.
If I were you I would try to look for a house bet. Sunrise hwy and Merrick Road. Try - Gables area - charming. Or Lindmere.
Send me a direct message if you like . I am NOT a reaL estate agent.
I was in your shoes 5 yrs ago- and no one on my side to give me the insider info.
Real Estate agents are making money from selling a house and of course everything is .... nice.
By the way what is your price range?

Old 05-16-2009, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 11,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I call BS. there is always less desireable areas. the area between merrick ave and the pkway is one of them due to the proximity to Roosevelt. Also, I've heard rumors of school rezoning. I can't beleive that it would actually happen, but possible.
Yup. Any town has less desirable areas but if you actually haven't lived in that town, your opinion doesn't count. Rumors are exactly what it is, so again your opinion doesn't count about North Merrick school district rezoning because a) You have no facts and b) You don't live there. I have a feeling why you think it's less desirable but I'll just keep that for myself .

To the OP, I bought a house in North Merrick about a year ago in what some may say " a less desirable area "between Merrick Ave. and Meadowbrook Rd., and with our budget, my family couldn't be any happier that we ended up here. I'm satisfied with my daughter's school (Old Mill), my neighbors are nice and the proximity to parkways are a plus. Don't discount any town unless you're hearing it directly from residents that's it's not good to live there. Look at everything and form your own opinion. Good luck.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:03 PM

37 posts, read 71,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikon View Post
Yup. Any town has less desirable areas but if you actually haven't lived in that town, your opinion doesn't count. Rumors are exactly what it is, so again your opinion doesn't count about North Merrick school district rezoning because a) You have no facts and b) You don't live there. I have a feeling why you think it's less desirable but I'll just keep that for myself .

To the OP, I bought a house in North Merrick about a year ago in what some may say " a less desirable area "between Merrick Ave. and Meadowbrook Rd., and with our budget, my family couldn't be any happier that we ended up here. I'm satisfied with my daughter's school (Old Mill), my neighbors are nice and the proximity to parkways are a plus. Don't discount any town unless you're hearing it directly from residents that's it's not good to live there. Look at everything and form your own opinion. Good luck.
Thanks pikon. Hope you don't mind, but sent you a DM with some more questions (since you're in the area)!

Old 10-20-2009, 06:35 PM

23 posts, read 93,942 times
I know Merrick and North Merrick and nice areas but I have question I know that neighboring towns like Roosevelt and Freeport have gangs do gangs ever come into Merrick/North Merrick or not really?

Old 10-20-2009, 07:10 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Merrick is great...and just to clarify something about the school districts...on the elementary level they are seperate districts...but once you hit junior high level, it's all one district- bellmore-merrick central high school district...so while yes you can compare calhoun to let's say mepham or kennedy, you can't compare the districts on the jr high or high school level (b/c it's all one district)...if that makes sense.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:11 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauricellac View Post
I know Merrick and North Merrick and nice areas but I have question I know that neighboring towns like Roosevelt and Freeport have gangs do gangs ever come into Merrick/North Merrick or not really?
occasionally I have seen activity, but really what town doesn't have ANYTHING bad ever happen there? It's not a problem to worry about but come on, no place is perfect.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:00 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauricellac View Post
Yes, sometimes they have their box socials at the local VA hall but they all arrive via limousine so it's not a problem.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:10 PM

18 posts, read 45,685 times
Personally I found the whole area to be quite nice, even the "less desireable" parts.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:15 AM

86 posts, read 193,386 times
North Merrick is overvalued and borders a ghetto Roosevelt and is not far from Uniondale and Freeport. The local HS's bus in some ghetto element plus you have alot of crime coming over the border and from being so close to the Southern State Parkway...another NO NO in house buying.

No thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island