Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,049 times

Advertisements

So I just got a new job in Shirley (… yes Shirley) and need to move at the end of the month. I’m a late 20’s single professional and hoping to find a good area where I can rent and have a chance to interact with similar individuals. I’ve been told Huntington has a pretty good social scene, however the commute seems pretty far. Any other suggestions? I’m planning to visit LI and speak with some realtors next week so I need to pinpoint some general locations. Appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 10:26 AM

6 posts, read 12,254 times
I just moved here from upstate new york

I live in a complex called - vista point in bellport/medford. absolutly no social life out here that I can see and its close to a dump but its actually a decent place haven't had any issues. they have a decent gym and basketball court and its pretty private. which what I was looking for. 1 br start at like 1450

Old 05-12-2009, 11:06 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2theisland View Post
I just moved here from upstate new york

I live in a complex called - vista point in bellport/medford. absolutly no social life out here that I can see and its close to a dump but its actually a decent place haven't had any issues. they have a decent gym and basketball court and its pretty private. which what I was looking for. 1 br start at like 1450
Vista point? What you're describing sounds exactly like Atlantic Point Apartments.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:30 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
^ If I had to pick a place close to Shirley with some type of nightlife it would be Patchogue. Just watch certain areas, it can get shady.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:13 AM

6 posts, read 12,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Vista point? What you're describing sounds exactly like Atlantic Point Apartments.
Yes i ment atlantic point ---

Old 05-14-2009, 07:40 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2theisland View Post
Yes i ment atlantic point ---
Do they still claim that it is a gated community? The gates were fun to deal with after hours. The outgoing gates would be wide open while the ingoing gates would be closed.

My beef was that they claimed the dump was not active. It is very active and stunk like you wouldn't believe. However, when you're inside the apartment, the filters in there were great. You couldn't smell it unless you opened the window.

My other beef was that it was built by a southwestern company who didn't realize that winters could be cold up here. Suffice to say, insulation wasn't a priority. In the winter I could put my hand up to an outlet or light switch and feel the cold air blowing right through. I wound up putting plastics over the windows and getting light switch and outlet insulation covers. It did help.

I do miss the garage going into the kitchen. Made it great for when it was raining/snowing, just pull in and go inside. I also miss the washer and dryer.

Are they even at half capacity? They never were near half when I was there.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:33 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
I agree ; try Patchogue. some nice garden apts there. Heatherwood, La Bonne Vie also are pretty good.

d

Old 05-14-2009, 03:23 PM

130 posts, read 743,184 times
Check Craigslist. I seen so many apt's for rent in Shirley area. Unless your looking for somewhere else.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:41 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Hampton Bays might be fun too.

Certainly for Summer.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island