Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:02 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,330,874 times

Advertisements

They want another $6.25 per TV for use of a cable box. No warning. They've been steadily increasing the monthly fee even before this. I'm fed up.
I'm thinking of switching to another provider. Right now I have all three services - internet, phone, TV for $140. I want to replace at least the TV service. Any suggestions?

Last edited by lamontnow; 05-13-2009 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:05 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
They want another $6.25 per TV for use of a cable box. No warning. They've been steadily increasing the monthly fee even before this. I'm fed up.
I'm thinking of switching to another provider. Right now I have the triple play - internet, phone, TV. I want to replace at least the TV service. Any suggestions?

Theres another thread where this is brought up also. I noticed it on the old TV in my bedroom hooked directly to the cable. Newsflash: Cablevision are money grubbing low-lives who will do whatever they can get away with SQUEEZING every last dollar out of you. I will switch to Fios as soon as I can just so I can give the Dolans a one finger salute.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:09 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Called them. Nothing you can do through the normal customer service route. I can't imagine writing letters will help...Cablevision is basically unopposed and can set their own market.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 AM

783 posts, read 1,422,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
I'm thinking of switching to another provider. Right now I have all three services - internet, phone, TV for $140. I want to replace at least the TV service. Any suggestions?
Not sure if you want to go through the hassle, but if you order FIOS and have a work order from Verizon. When you call Cablevision to cancel your account they will bend over backwards to keep you. I did that almost 2 years ago and they reduced my bill from $146 to $117 per month. They also gave me the silver package and upgraded my internet connection to the boost for free. I still have the silver package for free but they started to charge me for the internet boost so I cancelled that recently.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:52 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
Not sure if you want to go through the hassle, but if you order FIOS and have a work order from Verizon. When you call Cablevision to cancel your account they will bend over backwards to keep you. I did that almost 2 years ago and they reduced my bill from $146 to $117 per month. They also gave me the silver package and upgraded my internet connection to the boost for free. I still have the silver package for free but they started to charge me for the internet boost so I cancelled that recently.
Aahh yes it is good when there is competition...out east FIOS doesn't exist yet.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,330,874 times
I may stay with them for the internet and phone service, and go to directtv for tv service. I think it would total under $120/month.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:48 PM

122 posts, read 390,867 times
Yes, cancel the television service, keep the phone and Internet. Watch TV shows on Hulu and/or on the websites of your favorite network shows. Save $$$$$$$$$$$.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:11 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoret68 View Post
Yes, cancel the television service, keep the phone and Internet. Watch TV shows on Hulu and/or on the websites of your favorite network shows. Save $$$$$$$$$$$.
Do you know of any way to get high speed internet in Nassau without using either Verizon or Cablevision?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,778 times
Yea Cable~~vision sucks, they have ripping off customers for 20+ years! Remember when they would charge you for rental of remote??
There is no reson why as a customer you can't get the basic channels, but they have been removing channels for months and now you have to rent another box.
They are using the digital switch over as an excuse.
Switch to Fios, I did.
Tell jack off Dolan to shove it!

Old 05-13-2009, 05:56 PM

122 posts, read 390,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Do you know of any way to get high speed internet in Nassau without using either Verizon or Cablevision?
No, sorry. I live in Suffolk and I only know of those two providers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: