Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 12:40 PM

74 posts, read 199,086 times

Advertisements

What are some of your favorite bars on the island that hire bands on the weekends to play.

I will start with The Inn in long beach. Great band bar and huge dance floor.

Mulcaheys in Wantagh. Kind of a loser crowd but great dance floor and huge stage. Best bands too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 01:04 PM

63 posts, read 274,109 times
Long Island bars are a joke.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:24 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
I haven't gone to see a band in a bar on LI in 10 years. I know that some ok bands have played the Crazy Donkey recently, but I wouldn't imagine going near that place because of the dopey name. What is wrong with LI'ers? The entire bar scene is run by Guido mobster-wannabes..and real mobsters.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:36 PM

74 posts, read 199,086 times
Default i know i know...

Yes. The bars on long island are pitiful. Mostly because they HAVE to cater to spikey haired wife beater wearing guidos or they go out of business. However I work long hours and my fiance and I need our weekend getaway. LIRR into the city every weekend to go out for 3 hours and fall asleep on the train home ending up in Ronkonkoma is not an option. Thus the reason for this thread. I would rate the inn 6/10 at best and mulchay 5/10. Im not looking for the greatest bar ever. Just somewhere to hang out.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:43 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesscrappy View Post
Yes. The bars on long island are pitiful. Mostly because they HAVE to cater to spikey haired wife beater wearing guidos or they go out of business. However I work long hours and my fiance and I need our weekend getaway. LIRR into the city every weekend to go out for 3 hours and fall asleep on the train home ending up in Ronkonkoma is not an option. Thus the reason for this thread. I would rate the inn 6/10 at best and mulchay 5/10. Im not looking for the greatest bar ever. Just somewhere to hang out.
The Velvet Lounge and The Sage in Bluepoint are decent bars, but too small for bands. Seriously, I didn't even think bands play on LI anymore. Village Pub in Port Jefferson Sta., maybe?

Old 05-13-2009, 03:44 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I haven't gone to see a band in a bar on LI in 10 years. I know that some ok bands have played the Crazy Donkey recently, but I wouldn't imagine going near that place because of the dopey name. What is wrong with LI'ers? The entire bar scene is run by Guido mobster-wannabes..and real mobsters.
I've been there once or twice, it's not that bad, esp when they have a band in.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:50 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,402 times
Back when I was in college, we used to go to this bar on Merrick Road in Massapequa called NapperTandys. At the time, it was great because they had great deals. A bunch of us used to get together and go because from 8-10pm on Wednesday nights I think, it was 10 bucks all you could drink pitchers of domestic beer and all you could eat wings. The amount of wings that place went through, I swear there was a guy in the kitchen with a snow shovel just scooping wings into the fryers. This was about 10 years ago. I do remember, the price did go up to 15 bucks but that was still a helluva deal IMO. 11pm Band came on, and usually every Wednesday was Peat Moss and the Fertilizers. They were very entertaining. Since we were in from around 8pm, we avoided the cover charge but I think that was like 5 bucks. I am sure a lot has changed. They did have a lot of good drink deals even after the wing night ended. Have not been there in years but a quick google search seems to look like it has gone the DJ route with dance crap.

I googled Peat Moss and it looks like they play places like the Nutty Irishman in Farmingdale, and Hudson and McCoys which I think is down in Freeport, nautical mile. Maybe the best bet is to google some LI bands and see where they are playing to get an idea of what bars seem to cater to bands.

One last place I remember having a lot of bands was the Dublin Pub in New Hyde Park. But they changed their identity a few times. I personally never went there because I had no desire to associate with those that appeared to frequent that place.

As always, all of this is just my 2 cents from my experiences.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:56 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Oh, I thought you said, SAND bars . I was going to say that I liked the one in Port Jeff Harbor across from Strongs Neck.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-13-2009, 08:14 PM

75 posts, read 562,786 times
Mulcahey's and Cherbet's

Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,600 times
sundance in rocky point, its not well known because its new, but it's pretty big, my friend's band plays there occasionally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island