Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,231 times

Advertisements

Since I recently bought a house, I applied for STAR late last year. I got a letter from Nassau county saying that something will happen in Oct. Will I get a check? Or will they automatically adjust taxes to reflect in my escrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 08:06 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
I'd like to know that too.

I'd also like to know if you have to be a certain age or living in the home (let's say you just bought it) for a certain period of time.

Personally when I get my house, I want to apply for STAR ASAP, but not sure if you can do that.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:18 AM

231 posts, read 960,654 times
My sister told me STAR was going away. Is this true?

Old 05-15-2009, 08:24 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmax View Post
My sister told me STAR was going away. Is this true?
I had heard that rumor, but not sure how true it is.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:27 AM

STAR only applies if you are living in your own home. You have show proof of that ( car registration & driver's license address, utility bill).

If you are over the age of 65, you can apply for Enhanced-STAR. You might have to apply for the enhanced star every year I think, but you have to apply for Basic STAR only once, and it is automatically renewed each year.

It does not matter when you apply for STAR. As long as you apply before the annual deadline ( it was Dec 31, 2008 for me last year), you will qualify for the star next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I'd like to know that too.

I'd also like to know if you have to be a certain age or living in the home (let's say you just bought it) for a certain period of time.

Personally when I get my house, I want to apply for STAR ASAP, but not sure if you can do that.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:32 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,079 times
WJFM, When I moved into my house and applied for STAR, I got tax deduction was all I got the first year - they do not go back from the time you purchased the house and send you a check. It's only going forward from the date it's approved. Since my mortgage company only does an annual review of the escrow, and the STAR was finalized just AFTER my annual escrow review - my payment didn't go down for two years. Then I got an escrow check from the mortgage company for the overpaid taxes. This only happens if you pay your taxes through escrow, which I'm assuming 99.9% of people with mortgages do on LI.

TheBobs, there is not immediate approval on STAR. Expect to pay full taxes on a house the first year you own it even if the prior owner had STAR. STAR doesn't not carry automatically to the new owners.

jmax, the STAR rebate checks are going away, not the property tax discount. It used to be that you got a deduction on your taxes AND a check once a year. They are taking away the check, not the deduction. Not yet anyway!

Old 05-15-2009, 09:27 AM

What's the split between the check and tax deduction?

Old 05-15-2009, 10:23 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Not sure what you are asking so forgive me if this isn't the answer you're looking for.

I get about a 1200 deduction yearly. Once a year I'd get a check, think it was somewhere around $300 or $500, can't remember exactly. The check is going away. Good thing I never got used to it!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:35 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
STAR only applies if you are living in your own home. You have show proof of that ( car registration & driver's license address, utility bill).

If you are over the age of 65, you can apply for Enhanced-STAR. You might have to apply for the enhanced star every year I think, but you have to apply for Basic STAR only once, and it is automatically renewed each year.

It does not matter when you apply for STAR. As long as you apply before the annual deadline ( it was Dec 31, 2008 for me last year), you will qualify for the star next year.
In the Town of Huntington, the deadline is March 1st to apply for STAR for the following tax year.
For Enhanced STAR (which has a maximum family income limit) you can either re-apply each year (with proof of income, i.e. tax return) or sign up for the Income Verification Program, whereby the income eligibility is determined annual by the NYS Dept. of Taxation and Finance.

The STAR Middle Class Rebate, which has been eliminated, was only meant to be temporary and had been in effect for two years. (I think )

There are other exemptions available, for the asking (just prove it!)
--Volunteer firefighters and ambulance workers
--Veterans
--Senior citizens with limited income
--Persons with Disabilities and Limited income

and for first time home buyers if it's new construction not previously occupied, with certain other conditions, over a 5-year period, decreasing each year.

All of the above is for the Town of Huntington - chances are that most, if not all, are available in other Towns

Old 05-15-2009, 10:38 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,822 times
Quote:
I concur with lialleycat's reply.... she has hit it on the nail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island