Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 05:59 PM

31 posts, read 136,316 times

Advertisements

When I look up Cutchogue, Nassau Point is in parenthesis. Are they used interchangeabley. I thought the peninsula was only considered Nassau Point. I know that Nassau Point and Cutchogue share a park beach district and are part of the town of Southold. Do people in Nassau Point have a Cutchogue address? I need some clarification. I know there are people out there (like Walter) who can help clarify. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 09:39 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycglamgirl11106 View Post
When I look up Cutchogue, Nassau Point is in parenthesis. Are they used interchangeabley. I thought the peninsula was only considered Nassau Point. I know that Nassau Point and Cutchogue share a park beach district and are part of the town of Southold. Do people in Nassau Point have a Cutchogue address? I need some clarification. I know there are people out there (like Walter) who can help clarify. Thank you!
I'm not positive but I think you're right.I think it's like Belle Terre which is part of Port Jefferson.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:06 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Cutchogue

Quote:

Nassau Point is a triangular-shaped peninsula in the southeast part of Cutchogue.

For those who may not be familiar with Cutchogue:

Cutchogue is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the western part of the Town of Southold, in the northeast part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Cutchogue in the Town of Southold is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Mattituck and the Hamlet of Peconic; on the east by the Hamlet of Peconic and Southold Bay; on the south by the Great Peconic Bay and the Hamlet of New Suffolk; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Mattituck.

The Hamlet of Cutchogue has a different border than does the "Cutchogue, NY 11935" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Cutchogue, NY 11935" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Cutchogue and a place can have other than a "Cutchogue, NY 11935" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Cutchogue): places that have a "Cutchogue, NY 11935" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Cutchogue are in the Hamlet of Mattituck and the Hamlet of Peconic; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Cutchogue with a "New Suffolk, NY 11956" and a "Southold, NY 11971" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 05-16-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I'm not positive but I think you're right.I think it's like Belle Terre which is part of Port Jefferson.
While all the places in the Village of Belle Terre have a "Port Jefferson, NY 11777" mailing address, the Village of Belle Terre is a separate municipality from the Village of Port Jefferson, and is not part of Port Jefferson.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:40 PM

3 posts, read 10,857 times
Quote:
I'm originally from Mattituck, the hamlet just to the west of Cutchogue, and I believe the Nassau Point in parenthesis is related to real estate listings. You are obviously familiar with Nassau Point, so you know the point is particularly beautiful, and some would argue, particularly affluent. So - I think the realtors want to make sure you know that Cutchogue includes Nassau Point. I could be wrong, but I know of no other explanation; and have seen the similar reference when looking at real estate online. I'll be looking forward to learning if another explanation exists. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
While all the places in the Village of Belle Terre have a "Port Jefferson, NY 11777" mailing address, the Village of Belle Terre is a separate municipality from the Village of Port Jefferson, and is not part of Port Jefferson.
She asked about it being inside of Cutchogue with the same zip code so I compared Belle Terre which is in the PJ zip code 11777.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
She asked about it being inside of Cutchogue with the same zip code so I compared Belle Terre which is in the PJ zip code 11777.
The way you framed your reply may have led some to believe that the Village of Belle Terre was an inherent part of the Village of Port Jefferson, which is not true and different from the situation being discussed here, where Nassau Point is neither a hamlet nor a village and is an inherent part of the Hamlet of Cutchogue, and not a separate community that has the same ZIP Code postal zone mailing address.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
The way you framed your reply may have led some to believe that the Village of Belle Terre was an inherent part of the Village of Port Jefferson, which is not true and different from the situation being discussed here, where Nassau Point is neither a hamlet nor a village and is an inherent part of the Hamlet of Cutchogue, and not a separate community that has the same ZIP Code postal zone mailing address.
I don't think she was being technical.I think she wanted to know if it was part of Cutchogue which technically it is,that's why it is in the same zip code even though it is the southern tip.Like Belle terre would be a northern tip of port jefferson.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I think she wanted to know if it was part of Cutchogue which technically it is,that's why it is in the same zip code even though it is the southern tip.Like Belle terre would be a northern tip of port jefferson.

Nassau Point is an inherent part of the Hamlet of Cutchogue: Nassau Point is an area in the Hamlet of Cutchogue, it is not a separate and independent village or hamlet from the Hamlet of Cutchogue.

This is very different from the Village of Belle Terre and the Village of Port Jefferson where the Village of Belle Terre is not the northern tip of the Village of Port Jefferson because the Village of Belle Terre is a separate and independent municipality from the Village of Port Jefferson.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Nassau Point is an inherent part of the Hamlet of Cutchogue: Nassau Point is an area in the Hamlet of Cutchogue, it is not a separate and independent village or hamlet from the Hamlet of Cutchogue.

This is very different from the Village of Belle Terre and the Village of Port Jefferson where the Village of Belle Terre is not the northern tip of the Village of Port Jefferson because the Village of Belle Terre is a separate and independent municipality from the Village of Port Jefferson.
Cutchogue is a CITY in suffolk county and part of it is nassau point. It is part of cutchogue because they share a zip code.Port Jefferson is a CITY in suffolk county and belle terre is a village within port jefferson(city), and thats why they share a zip code.Terryville is in the city of Port Jefferson Station that's why they share the 11776 zip code.Villages are one thing but they fall within the city thats why they share zip codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island