U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 09:12 PM

119 posts, read 427,158 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any stores that major in selling fabrics BESIDES The Fabric Mill in Plainview?
I am trying to find a store that sells Pumpkin Orange Suede fabric that does not need to be special ordered.

The Fabric Mill needs to special order it and I have to pay for 25 yards when I need 4 yards.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 12:05 AM

9,671 posts, read 21,335,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LjStC View Post
Does anyone know of any stores that major in selling fabrics BESIDES The Fabric Mill in Plainview?
I am trying to find a store that sells Pumpkin Orange Suede fabric that does not need to be special ordered.

The Fabric Mill needs to special order it and I have to pay for 25 yards when I need 4 yards.
There is a fabric store in Deer Park, in a strip mall--can't recall the nearest cross street right now, but it's on the East side of Deer Park Ave (there's a supermarket in it too, possibly Pathmark), I believe South of Old Country Rd. There's another on Jericho Tpk, North side, after Larkfield Rd and yet another on New York Ave, North of Jericho, near 17th Street (West side).

HTH

Old 05-17-2009, 12:09 AM

2,364 posts, read 10,792,648 times
I prefer to order on ebay!

Old 05-17-2009, 07:52 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,344,456 times
There's a discount fabric store on Route 110/New York Avenue (Huntington) but I forget whether it is north or south of Jericho Tpke/Walt Whitman Mall. I went there about a year ago because someone asked me to help make a Halloween costume for their son. I'm pretty sure it is north of Jericho but won't swear to it. I believe the name is Fabric Depot and it's probably the same one that a previous poster mentioned.

Also, the Jo-Ann stores have a lot of fabric as well. They are much more about fabric/sewing than crafts even though they bill themselves as "crafts and fabric". Website and store locator here: Joann.com: Online Shopping for Sewing, Scrapbooking Yarn and Crafts

Old 05-17-2009, 12:31 PM

8,556 posts, read 19,964,758 times
Yes, Jo-Ann's has lots of fabrics and there are two that I know of, West Babylon & Centereach.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-17-2009, 01:38 PM

309 posts, read 743,857 times
Have you tried the Textile Mill End Shop in East Islip just off of Sunrise?

Last edited by atypicalLIer; 05-17-2009 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-17-2009, 06:15 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,344,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
I forgot about that one, and they do have a remnant room in the "barn" next door to the showroom.

However, their business is upholstery and custom drapery work and IIRC their bolts of fabric are very wide (much wider than you see in a typical store for dressmaking fabric). It's worth a try though.

If you're looking for a specific width you could call Mill End Shop and ask if they usually have that width and get a general idea of the type of fabrics they have in stock at the moment (if it's what you want or not) before making the trip.

They also sell Hunter-Douglas window treatments, btw.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:19 PM

185 posts, read 1,161,179 times
You can try Kravet - they are located in Bethpage, I think...
you can order as much or as little as you want. They have everything.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggi813 View Post
You can try Kravet - they are located in Bethpage, I think...
you can order as much or as little as you want. They have everything.
Thanks for the idea, however they only sell to businesses apparently since I called them and they only deal with "the trade"

Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
Thanks for the idea also however they dont have the color in stock, however they do special ordering BUT the lady I spoke to said they could not help me over the phone even though I knew the exact color of what im looking for. And I'm not going to drive there if she would not help me over the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island