Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:59 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,553,426 times

Advertisements

According to NEWSDAY, Promoting Stony Brook as an emerging Jewish community (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/ny-liston1212869249jun11,0,70246.story - broken link), "Rabbi Moshe Roffman is from Miami and has lived in San Antonio and Boston. But he says he'll take Stony Brook over them any day, and thinks other Orthodox Jews should think about moving there, too."

A map of the Hamlet of Stony Brook, Town of Brookhaven:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 03:14 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,098,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
According to NEWSDAY, Promoting Stony Brook as an emerging Jewish community (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/ny-liston1212869249jun11,0,70246.story - broken link), "Rabbi Moshe Roffman is from Miami and has lived in San Antonio and Boston. But he says he'll take Stony Brook over them any day, and thinks other Orthodox Jews should think about moving there, too."

A map of the Hamlet of Stony Brook, Town of Brookhaven:

Thats pretty cool.

Crooks

Old 06-14-2009, 04:20 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,032,131 times
Quote from the Rabbi: "It has three kosher restaurants and job opportunities as well"

Nice to know he has the priorities in the right order placing the food first. You will be much cheerier on the interview after an overstuffed corned beef on rye and a hot cup of tea with lemon.....

Old 06-14-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Thats pretty cool. Crooks
Unfortunately, Crooks, the non-observant, secular Jews do not see it that way, and as Torah observant Jews move in, they tend to move out.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, Crooks, the non-observant, secular Jews do not see it that way, and as Torah observant Jews move in, they tend to move out.
Hmmm Im not up on that stuff Walter, I just always liked the multicultural vibe of SB.

"Cant we all just get along?"

Crooks

Old 06-15-2009, 12:22 PM

532 posts, read 1,265,542 times
Quote:
Interesting, Is the divide between observant and secular jews more prevelant on Long Island than elsewhere? I'd be interested in your thoughts on cause and effect as a vocal member of the Jewish and LI communities.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Interesting, Is the divide between observant and secular jews more prevelant on Long Island than elsewhere? I'd be interested in your thoughts on cause and effect as a vocal member of the Jewish and LI communities.

Me too.

Im confused Walter.

Can you explain the contrasts?

Crooks

Old 06-15-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Interesting, Is the divide between observant and secular jews more prevelant on Long Island than elsewhere? I'd be interested in your thoughts on cause and effect as a vocal member of the Jewish and LI communities.:confused:

It tends to occur where there is a growing population of Torah observant Jews in an area that has a pre-existing relatively large population of secular Jews.

Google "eruv" and you'll find several articles about what happens when the Torah observant Jews attempt to obtain permission for an "eruv", and the reaction to this among the secular Jewish community in that area.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:37 PM

122 posts, read 389,292 times
Hmmm. Please forgive my ignorance, because I don't know about the delineations between the groups of more observant Jews. However, I do know that I see many Jews in conservative dress (all in black, head coverings, beards, etc.) walking through my Patchogue neighborhood on Saturdays. Patchogue!

Old 06-15-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoret68 View Post
Hmmm. Please forgive my ignorance, because I don't know about the delineations between the groups of more observant Jews. However, I do know that I see many Jews in conservative dress (all in black, head coverings, beards, etc.) walking through my Patchogue neighborhood on Saturdays. Patchogue!

Is the Village of Patchogue zoned for Gentiles only?:shocked:

Since Torah observant Jews cannot drive on Shabbat (begins 18 minutes before sunset on Friday evening and ends 42 minutes after sunset on Saturday night), it's not hard to guess that the Torah observant Jews you observed walking on Saturday live in the area.

Near which of the two Synagogues in Patchogues are you located?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island