Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 01:43 PM

130 posts, read 535,865 times

Advertisements

Wonder what North Carolinan's say about the litter if it has increased with the big influx of people moving there, will have to check with my sister, as she is a new implant. But I don't agree with the theory that it is just that we have "more population" as in I was in Chicago this past year on one of my drives across country and had never been there before. Stayed a few days and toured all over the city. I would have to say it was one of the most pretty, CLEANEST cities I have ever come across AND it is also one of the biggest. Also, don't see as much garbage in California, anywhere, up and down the coast as well as, LA. Don't see it all over Florida either. But come across the New Jersey Turnpike into the Outerbridge crossing and bingo, papers, cans, cigarette butts, you name it, we have it along fences, in grass, on highways, in parking lots! Disgusting...........and true Alexei27, I see a lot more clean up crews elsewhere than you do here and we are the ones who need it! A lot of places put to use their prisoners, why don't we? Arizona at 115 degrees and there they are cleaning up in their orange jumpsuits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 12:52 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
I think they don't use prisoners here because it would take jobs from the union people or something like that.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:29 PM

130 posts, read 535,865 times
Back to those unions again! (hand hitting forehead!)

Old 05-27-2009, 10:30 PM

60 posts, read 183,038 times
The Suffolk County Sheriffs department has inmates cleaning roadside litter and landscaping work. (County roads only) Its called SLAP -"Sheriff Labor Assistance Program"

Old 05-28-2009, 12:55 AM

732 posts, read 1,734,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Singapore has some effective ways to keep litterbugs at bay.
Ah, nothing like a good caning.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:43 PM

407 posts, read 966,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
It is New Yorkers! Plain and simple. When you drive across the country, I did it five times alone last year, you do not see this kind of litter that we have here. I don't know if it is the influx of people from the burroughs or what, although NYC seems to be cleaner than it is on the island a lot of the time, but, it is simply gross. I have to laugh too, or rather cry, cause there are a lot of NYers who have moved to the Phoenix area, and there a few years back, you could literally eat off the street, and now you see litter appearing on their highways. They even wrote an article about it in the Arizona Republic newspaper! So what is it with New Yorkers and letting things just drop out of their car windows. I have seen doors open at red lights and people literally drop a whole bag of McDonalds right out onto the grass next to their car! Do people think that is attractive? Do they want to live in communities littered with garbage all over? I don't get it. You can't take the garbage home and deposit in your can? And, what is up with people sponsoring garbage pickup along Sunrise Highway and then garbage not being picked up? Don't the companies complain that they are paying for nothing? I certainly would if I was supporting this campaign. It doesn't reflect good on the company then..........

I moved fro The Bronx to Selden 12 years ago. Please do not blame the city people. It is without a doubt dirtier around here. The litter on the sides of the roads is horrible here. Boyle Rd. is disgusting. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I moved. My son was in Middle School when I moved. It was a choice between worrying about him getting cut with razor blades or coming here and dealing with the litter. I chose the litter BUT please don't blame everything on the city people, because the litter is worse here for sure.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:50 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
I moved fro The Bronx to Selden 12 years ago. Please do not blame the city people. It is without a doubt dirtier around here. The litter on the sides of the roads is horrible here. Boyle Rd. is disgusting. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I moved. My son was in Middle School when I moved. It was a choice between worrying about him getting cut with razor blades or coming here and dealing with the litter. I chose the litter BUT please don't blame everything on the city people, because the litter is worse here for sure.
Of course its not the city people. Its not the men. Its not the women. Its not the children. Its not the people who dress up in clown suits. Its the individual who litters. There is no specific pattern to the ones that litter other than they do not care about their surroundings.

I know people that were born here and not from the city and they throw their cigarette butts out the window. A few days ago I was reading on another site that someone complained that a volunteer firefighter threw his cigarette butt out the window (ironic isn't it?).

Remember, give a hoot, don't pollute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: