Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move from LI to NC considering all family and job go with you???
In a heartbeat 30 32.61%
Probably yes 11 11.96%
Maybe 10 10.87%
Probably no 18 19.57%
Never 23 25.00%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 03:41 PM

8 posts, read 26,928 times

Advertisements

My family is from NC. I have family all over NC. Me moving to NC is a second home. I dont plan on moving there anyime soon but my dad is moving back he was born and raised there and my morm and brother are following him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 08:51 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post

but would you stay where you are now?

For now, yes. We are in a subivision with a community pool & tons of kids. When they are older I can see a day when I would consider moving to a house on a bigger lot. But once you put down roots, the money issue is less of the puzzle. I would not uproot our family now becase you cannot put a price on the sense of commuinty we have.

When they are all out of the house I would consider Wilmington because the thing I miss most is proximity to salt water. But, not NY again, and a lot of that has to do with considering my husband's feelings on this. (He grew up on 5000 acres in the midwest!)

I do not mean to be obtuse- I see your point, and I do know plenty of transplants who would move back to NY or NJ or MA if money were no object. In my experience, it is a 50-50 split between those who love it here & those who tolerate it to save a buck.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:09 PM

124 posts, read 292,932 times
People do not necessarily move because they can't "hack" LI. Many choose to move for quality of life. I was born and raised in Huntington and began raising my family there. I loved LI. We had a house on an acre of property and were doing fine. But we looked down the road and saw no end to high taxes and cost of living. I'm sure not everyone would enjoy NC but blanket statements and no facts are ridiculous. Cary (and surrounding areas of NC) has one of the highest percentages of phd's in one area than any other state (fact). The research triangle is huge and the health system and colleges are top notch. And yes most of the population at the state colleges are from NC. NC colleges must take in over 80% from state. They feel since we are paying taxes here, they should take the majority of students from the area. NC has rural areas just like NY. Every time a thread has anything to do with NC everyone from NY gets their backs up. NY offers alot but so do many other states and at a lower cost. People seem peeved that others actually move and like it. LI is great but so is NC. We have discussed it and if we won lotto we still would not move back. THe people are nice, the homes are lovely, the taxes low and it is just a wonderful quality of life. It isn't for everyone, but it is for many.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:54 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherNYer View Post
People do not necessarily move because they can't "hack" LI. Many choose to move for quality of life. I was born and raised in Huntington and began raising my family there. I loved LI. We had a house on an acre of property and were doing fine. But we looked down the road and saw no end to high taxes and cost of living. I'm sure not everyone would enjoy NC but blanket statements and no facts are ridiculous. Cary (and surrounding areas of NC) has one of the highest percentages of phd's in one area than any other state (fact). The research triangle is huge and the health system and colleges are top notch. And yes most of the population at the state colleges are from NC. NC colleges must take in over 80% from state. They feel since we are paying taxes here, they should take the majority of students from the area. NC has rural areas just like NY. Every time a thread has anything to do with NC everyone from NY gets their backs up. NY offers alot but so do many other states and at a lower cost. People seem peeved that others actually move and like it. LI is great but so is NC. We have discussed it and if we won lotto we still would not move back. THe people are nice, the homes are lovely, the taxes low and it is just a wonderful quality of life. It isn't for everyone, but it is for many.
have a wonderful time with your pigs and cows on the farm...if you need me, I'll be at the beach.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:05 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Hows the beach been thus far? lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
have a wonderful time with your pigs and cows on the farm...if you need me, I'll be at the beach.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:07 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,192 times
Thanks to the rainy June, I've heard that high bacteria levels and floating fecal matter have made LI beaches less than desireable the last few weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Hows the beach been thus far? lol.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:13 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
I just looked on realtor.com and I can get a 4 bedroom house on 3/4 of an acre, Chapel Hill High School (9 on greatschools) for around 250K. Considering that taxes are probably half what they are here on LI..that's pretty attractive.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I just looked on realtor.com and I can get a 4 bedroom house on 3/4 of an acre, Chapel Hill High School (9 on greatschools) for around 250K. Considering that taxes are probably half what they are here on LI..that's pretty attractive.
You get what you pay for.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:28 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
You get what you pay for.
Have you been to Chapel Hill? Do you know that a 9 on Great Schools is up there with the highest rated schools on LI?

Old 06-24-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Have you been to Chapel Hill? Do you know that a 9 on Great Schools is up there with the highest rated schools on LI?
I'm not familiar with great schools...but if you think NC is so great, why don't you move there? I have been all over that state. I wasn't impressed with much of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island