Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 03:09 PM

93 posts, read 606,953 times

Advertisements

Bayport Bluepoint is an amzing district. Their scores beat three village consistantly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 04:56 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPedro View Post
Newsday's Top 10 School Districts 2007

Nassau:
1) Jericho
2) Great Neck South
3) Great Neck North

Suffolk:
1) Cold Spring Harbor
2) Hills West
3) Port Jeff

That's NEWSDAY's list of Top 10 high schools.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:18 AM

3 posts, read 50,245 times
Default Long Island Neighborhoods

Hi,
Surprised no one mentioned it, but Baldwin was the only LI town included in the Top 50 Best Places to Live in the New York Times last year. It's a family oriented neighborhood with easy access to the city (on a good day, you can get into the city on the train in just under 40 minutes - driving can also be quick as long as it isn't during rush hour).

We live in the Harbor, which is a waterfront community. In spite of this, home prices are reasonable, particularly now. Our elementary school is excellent; my children are thriving. There are several parks and a ton of extracurricular activities. The library has incredible programs.I used to live in Queens, and I don't remember my library having all of these programs. My step daughter went to the high school and believe me, she was a challenge, but the school really tried to work with us, and she did graduate and go on to college.

Good luck in your search. There certainly are a few places to choose from. My biggest recommendation is to take one day each to spend in your top neighborhoods of choice so that you don't make a hasty decision. View the parks, drive around the neighborhood, eat at a local pizza shop. These will be your neighbors.

Last edited by My100kids; 01-28-2008 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: one word can make a difference! Forgot to make something plural.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 AM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by My100kids View Post
... Baldwin was the only LI town included in the Top 50 Best Places to Live in the New York Times last year.
For those who may not be familiar with Baldwin:

Originally called Hick's His Neck, Hick's Neck, Bethel, Milburn Corners, Milburn, Baldwin Corners, Baldwinsville, Baldwins, and, for second time: Milburn, followed by Baldwins, and then today's Baldwin, Baldwin is a hamlet (an unincorporated community) in the southern section of the Town of Hempstead, in the south-central part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Baldwin in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Hempstead and the Hamlet of Uniondale; on the east by the Hamlet of Roosevelt and the Village of Freeport; on the south by the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Oceanside, the Village of Rockville Centre and the Hamlet of South Hempstead.

Please note: In 1990, the area south of Atlantic Avenue was separated from the Hamlet of Baldwin and was formed into the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor.

The Hamlet of Baldwin has a different border than does the "Baldwin, NY 11510" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Baldwin, NY 11510" address and not be in the Hamlet of Baldwin and a place can be in the Hamlet of Baldwin and have other than a "Baldwin, NY 11510" mailing address): places that have a "Baldwin, NY 11510" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Baldwin are in the Hamlet of Oceanside, the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor and the Hamlet of Roosevelt; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Baldwin that have an "Oceanside, NY 11572", "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" and "Roosevelt, NY 11575" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 AM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Baldwin Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by My100kids View Post
We live in the Harbor, which is a waterfront community.
For those who may not be familiar with Baldwin Harbor:

Concomitant with the 1990 Federal census, the area south of the median of Atlantic Avenue was separated from the Hamlet of Baldwin and was formed into the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor.

Originally called Coe's Neck, Baldwin Harbor is a hamlet (an unincorporated community) in the southern part of the Town of Hempstead, in the center-south part of Nassau County. There are 36 hamlets and 22 villages (incorporated municipality) all or partly within the Town of Hempstead.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Baldwin and the Village of Freeport; on the east by the Village of Freeport, Baldwin Bay and Middle Bay; on the south by the East Channel; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Oceanside.

Baldwin Harbor is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: Places in the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor have a "Baldwin, NY 11510" and "Freeport, NY 11520" mailing address

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/45/Baldwin-harbor-ny-map.gif (broken link)

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 02-18-2008, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 27,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNlady View Post
Hello:

Been lurking on this site for the last week and now am ready to post a question. My husband is considering taking a job in Manhatten. I don't know the city at all (he does) but it is near Union Square if that helps. Trying to figure out where to live. My sister-in-law is a teacher in Westchester so I think I have that area figured out. I just think that maybe (based on knowing nothing about the city) Long Island would be a better commute. We want to live in the area with the absolute best school district we can find so I am starting my search there recognizing that in the end we will have to craft our own equation balancing housing costs, commute, schools, etc.

Any advice on school districts would be greatly appreciated. I am going to post a similar question on the New Jersey page as well as clearly that would another option.

Thanks.
Hi! The commute to NYC from LI is a tough one - I'd suggest you look at Westchester or Connecticut. If you want to consider LI look in Nassau county -- areas include South Merrick; Manhasset; Plainview-Old Bethpage.

If you want to explore Suffolk I'd recommend staying west... Huntington or Dix Hills. Further east great options include Miller Place and Mount Sinai but this is a 90 minute train ride to NYC. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:21 AM

313 posts, read 1,053,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorton View Post
Many of you really are missing the point on a good school district. The Number 1 school district is right at home. That is 95% of what will determine how well your children do in school.
Excellent point. I totally agree. I teach in the city, and I see a significant difference between the kids who have involved parents and the ones who don't.

While living in an area with a good school district is important to us, my husband and I have no intention of allowing learning to end when the school day does. I certainly understand people wanting to get the most for their money, with school taxes being so high, but I think parents and support at home makes the biggest difference (which is why many of those top schools do so well- they have good teachers, but the parents expect and get a lot from their kids.)

Old 02-20-2008, 06:32 PM

29 posts, read 169,467 times
have to agree with people going with Jericho , Syosset , Wheatley - East Williston , Manhasset etc. It also depends on where you are planning to live. The Estate areas like Brookville, Parts of Muttontown and parts of Old Westbury go to Jericho SD. while the most exclusive part of Old WEstbury is in the Wheatley school district . in the syosset area muttontown . laurel hollow and oyster bay cove send their children there. I would stay away from suffolk except the Cold Spring Harbor SD

Old 02-20-2008, 10:51 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannin li x View Post
have to agree with people going with Jericho , Syosset , Wheatley - East Williston , Manhasset etc. It also depends on where you are planning to live. The Estate areas like Brookville, Parts of Muttontown and parts of Old Westbury go to Jericho SD. while the most exclusive part of Old WEstbury is in the Wheatley school district . in the syosset area muttontown . laurel hollow and oyster bay cove send their children there. I would stay away from suffolk except the Cold Spring Harbor SD
There's plenty of great school districts in Suffolk County, just not many that neurosurgeons, celebrities or professional athletes would send their kids to.....so if you're not one of those, Suffolk is probably a safe bet.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:10 AM

652 posts, read 2,264,858 times
If you can afford it the Cold Spring Harbor school district is one of the best in the country and the CSH-LIRR is an hour into the city.I've lived here over 25 years and my two daughters who are very different than one another both went there with great success. My youngest is off to college (the older went onto Tufts and my youngest will be going to The School Of Visual Arts) in the spring so now the house is up for sale and I'll be saying bye bye to the high taxes here : ) Sure is pretty though. The school and its facilty I can only say great things about. Who you pick as your friends around here is up to you though <W>.
BTW- THE reason we moved here was "specifically" for the schools.. we found the biggest hunk O junk house just to get into the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island