Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 02:50 PM

6 posts, read 12,258 times

Advertisements

I am new to Long Island - Changed jobs orginally from the hudson valley Orange County Area -

I am young soon to be 24 - no wheres near wealthy but do okay, I make 70K / yr. I am annoyed with paying high rents - I live in Medford now just to find somthing affordable. I can't be the only one but I would like to buy a house in the near future - my girl friend is attending Stony Brook to finish up her teaching certification and hopefully be a teaching assistant here she was a spanish teach upstate.

Are they're any areas where you could actually find a house/area from 225 - 250k thats actually worthing living in. I dont mind the commute as much to live out east but reading the postings I don't hear many good things about areas like medford, patchoge, bell port, mastic, shriley etc. I don't love the medford area but I'd rather live in a house then pay rent to someone especially if I'm getting something for a decent value.

I work in Melville on 110
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 02:53 PM

326 posts, read 429,806 times
So you rather pay the bank and government rather than the landlord? Good decision. Good luck...

Old 05-11-2009, 03:16 PM

6 posts, read 12,258 times
Well I'm paying the Bank the Gov't the Landscaper and the Land Lord now. For what crummy service and a pool??

Old 05-11-2009, 03:49 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,634 times
I can't see how anyone can logically argue with spending X dollars to build equity in something you own, versus spending X dollars simply for what's basically a glorified hotel room setup that someone else owns.

My nephew is your age and after 2 years of renting just bought his own house a couple of months ago. He bitterly regrets throwing away those couple years worth of money on rent and would much rather have still had it to increase the amount of his downpayment.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:53 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2theisland View Post
I am new to Long Island - Changed jobs orginally from the hudson valley Orange County Area -

I am young soon to be 24 - no wheres near wealthy but do okay, I make 70K / yr. I am annoyed with paying high rents - I live in Medford now just to find somthing affordable. I can't be the only one but I would like to buy a house in the near future - my girl friend is attending Stony Brook to finish up her teaching certification and hopefully be a teaching assistant here she was a spanish teach upstate.

Are they're any areas where you could actually find a house/area from 225 - 250k thats actually worthing living in. I dont mind the commute as much to live out east but reading the postings I don't hear many good things about areas like medford, patchoge, bell port, mastic, shriley etc. I don't love the medford area but I'd rather live in a house then pay rent to someone especially if I'm getting something for a decent value.

I work in Melville on 110

Sound Beach/Rocky Point

Best value play in NE Brookhaven

Crooks

Old 05-11-2009, 04:24 PM

330 posts, read 888,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
I can't see how anyone can logically argue with spending X dollars to build equity in something you own, versus spending X dollars simply for what's basically a glorified hotel room setup that someone else owns.

My nephew is your age and after 2 years of renting just bought his own house a couple of months ago. He bitterly regrets throwing away those couple years worth of money on rent and would much rather have still had it to increase the amount of his downpayment.
In most cases its not X vs X, its 3X vs X, then the savings come into play. If you are young, don't need a house, and can save a good deal in the trade off it becomes advantageous. Its not really throwing away money, its spending X to be able to save 2X which adds up quickly and greatly increases your future buying power. Only in markets set to appreciate rapidly (does anyone think that is going to happen), does it bite you.

With his numbers of 225k, then renting does not make sense as that is really cheap for a house but can you find that?. Not in nassau, and probably not too much in suffolk either. Move the house price into what is actually out there, 350k and up and then renting becomes more of a savings for the future buy option.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:37 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
i dont think you can go wrong in patchogue. prices have come down, and the village is very nice during the summer.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:12 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdairyp View Post
In most cases its not X vs X, its 3X vs X, then the savings come into play. If you are young, don't need a house, and can save a good deal in the trade off it becomes advantageous. Its not really throwing away money, its spending X to be able to save 2X
It all depends on amounts of the "X"s .

In my nephew's case his rent for a 2-bedroom apartment was $2100/month not including any utilities. None of his monthly rent was tax deductible. So a $25,000 (rounded off) per year outlay with no tax benefits or equity.

His mortgage payment (principal and interest over 20 years) on the 3-bedroom house he bought is $1400/month, plus homeowners insurance at roughly $200/month, plus property taxes currently at $750/month. So a total of $2300/month, thus roughly $27,500 year... $2000 more than what he was paying in rent BUT he will now have a $9000 tax deduction for property taxes as well as for his mortage interest every year.

He was also able to take advantage of the $8000 New Homebuyer Credit on his 2008 return and thus received a full refund of all the Federal taxes that were taken out of his paycheck last year.

So even at $2K more per year out of pocket, the tax benefits of ownership will continue to generate a refund of some sort for him on an ongoing basis. Not to mention the fact that he literally now has more than doubled the living space that he had in his apartment.... AND he owns it. AND has none of the privacy/noise/etc hassles that apartment living entails... one of the benefits of house over rental that can't be easily quantified in dollars and cents.

I agree that if renting is MUCH cheaper than home ownership it makes sense, but not if the monthly outlay for both is anywhere near comparable.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:35 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
i dont think you can go wrong in patchogue. prices have come down, and the village is very nice during the summer.
Thatd be my 4th Brookhaven value pick after Rocky Point and Sound Beach and Ridge.

If the Schools didnt suck ....it would be higher.

Heres a great starter
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Rocky-Point_NY_11778_1107495644 (broken link)

Crooks

Old 05-12-2009, 05:09 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
^^ Crooks where is the yard in that listing? If I was moving out "East" I would be moving for the space! That yard wouldnt cut it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island