Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 05:46 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times

Advertisements

Deer in a built up area like the Island are not good. No predators and difficult to hunt in suburbia are not healthy for humans or the deer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 06:59 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Deer in a built up area like the Island are not good. No predators and difficult to hunt in suburbia are not healthy for humans or the deer.

I don't believe that. Deer are found as far South as Yonkers and they don't have these issues with deer. As long as they properly hunt the deer to keep the population under control and stop overdeveloping LI with these ugly gawdy housing developments deer and humans can live side by side.

Deer are such a big issue in the towns of East Hampton and Southampton because every year several mcmansions are built displacing the deer. Is that fair? Kill off the wildlife because people want to live there. Long Islanders did that to the wolf 100 years ago now we are going after the deer? Disgusting!

Old 10-17-2010, 07:03 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I prefer the Deer over people. Less arrogant.

We should re-introduce bears and wolves to the Island. I think some natural predators will eliminate a lot more than just some deer. Basically we killed everything off over the last hundred or so years, I'm still shocked at the fact that we have ANY deer left at all. We wiped out the bears, rattlesnakes, coyotes, wolves, whatever the hell big cats we had here(cougars? mountain lions?)and didn't finish the job with the deer? Very strange. Somebody dropped the ball on that one.
I'd say there is a remote chance of a few coyotes making it back to the Island, but they aint gonna last long. They'll get shot up real fast.

Back to the deer thing, I've heard reports of deer being seen as far west as the north shore of eastern Nassau County.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post

I wish people on Long Island would stop thinking they are in some natural habitat just because some wild creatures are occasionally in their view.

You want wildlife...move to North Dakata.

Instead of worrying about the deer I think we should worry about the rat population on LI. 2 weeks ago I was sitting at Ronk Rail and saw two rats run around the station. I thought I was on a city street for a second. I think they are more of a menace to human health and they carry ticks as well.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:12 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I think they are more of a menace to human health and they carry ticks as well.
I think humans are more of a menance to human health than ANY other creature on this planet. Just sayin...

Old 10-17-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I prefer the Deer over people. Less arrogant.

Back to the deer thing, I've heard reports of deer being seen as far west as the north shore of eastern Nassau County.

Deer are good swimmers and they are known to swim along the coast of the Sound from Fort Salonga to Lloyd Harbor making their way into the CSH/Laurel Hollow area.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I think humans are more of a menance to human health than ANY other creature on this planet. Just sayin...

You're right humans have killed more humans than anything else has killed humans on this earth. There are 6 billions of us. Maybe we should start hunting a few to control the population.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:50 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Doesn't everyone just detest those who hate their own species? Must be the same people who deny their own race and/or country.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Doesn't everyone just detest those who hate their own species? Must be the same people who deny their own race and/or country.

I agree. The worse part of human history is the history of genocide. Sad to say it's still happening today.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:45 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,017 times
The rut season is coming...so if you don't want that deer coming thru your windsheild keep an eye on the side of the hwy...................

During the rut they do not think......just dart out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island