Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 05:52 AM

167 posts, read 383,421 times

Advertisements

Have you guys noticed this happening in LI? To an extent it always has (and is acceptable to me at a certain level to keep LI drivers in line), but lately I feel like it takes a lot of effort to keep my clean license (0 points) intact. I definitly feel the heat is on for our local police to deliver revnue at all costs. And now they are going install cameras all over the place, purely for revenue IMO. This article discusses how going down that road is a no win situation...an interesting read.

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Click It or Ticket Insanity; 10% of Texans Have Arrest Warrants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 08:03 AM

244 posts, read 669,194 times
Fact of life of living here. I would factor at least 2 -3 parking tickets and at least 1 moving violation into your budget every year

Old 05-31-2009, 08:06 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times
Here's a revelation!! How about obeying the traffic laws! Believe it or not, they've been enacted for a reason. Go to the Newsday website and look at the "accident photo gallery". It is absolutely comedic how so many numbnuts wreck their vehicles every day in Nassau & Suffolk. Driving on LI is an absolute free-for-all but you don't realize it because it's what you're used to. When you live in other parts of the country and visit LI on occassion, it would be more clear to you. That article sounds like sour grapes. If people used their brains and obeyed the traffic laws, this wouldn't be an issue. Sure, it's great revenue accrual tool. I've seen enough blood and mayhem over my years to last a lifetime or two. Buckle up, slow down, and you'll keep your 0 points on your license

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaray14 View Post
Have you guys noticed this happening in LI? To an extent it always has (and is acceptable to me at a certain level to keep LI drivers in line), but lately I feel like it takes a lot of effort to keep my clean license (0 points) intact. I definitly feel the heat is on for our local police to deliver revnue at all costs. And now they are going install cameras all over the place, purely for revenue IMO. This article discusses how going down that road is a no win situation...an interesting read.

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Click It or Ticket Insanity; 10% of Texans Have Arrest Warrants

Last edited by Peter B; 05-31-2009 at 08:54 AM..

Old 05-31-2009, 09:45 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,141,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Here's a revelation!! How about obeying the traffic laws! Believe it or not, they've been enacted for a reason. Go to the Newsday website and look at the "accident photo gallery". It is absolutely comedic how so many numbnuts wreck their vehicles every day in Nassau & Suffolk. Driving on LI is an absolute free-for-all but you don't realize it because it's what you're used to. When you live in other parts of the country and visit LI on occassion, it would be more clear to you. That article sounds like sour grapes. If people used their brains and obeyed the traffic laws, this wouldn't be an issue. Sure, it's great revenue accrual tool. I've seen enough blood and mayhem over my years to last a lifetime or two. Buckle up, slow down, and you'll keep your 0 points on your license
I would agree with you but cops sometimes pull people over for no reason. for instance, about 20 years ago, an officer pulled me over. I was at an intersection, with a red light. I might a right turn. a cop was behind me and pulled me over. I asked why he pulled me over and he said I made a right on red. I said "so?" he replied " there's a "no turn on red" sign back there. I said "really? I never saw one there in my life." he turns around to check and tells me to "have a nice night".

Old 05-31-2009, 10:40 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times
"About 20 years ago" a cop made a mistake? LOL! They ARE human By and large, cops hate the a-holes who treat the parkways & Expwy as their own personal Nascar track. I have family members who work as NY State Troopers and NYPD. It gets old after awhile scraping body parts off of oak trees in the median of the Northern & Southern State Pkwys on weekend mornings. ANY tool that law enforcement can use to slow people should be used to it's full potential, ESPECIALLY on LI where 2.5 million people live in a 30 x 90 mile piece of land. End of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
I would agree with you but cops sometimes pull people over for no reason. for instance, about 20 years ago, an officer pulled me over. I was at an intersection, with a red light. I might a right turn. a cop was behind me and pulled me over. I asked why he pulled me over and he said I made a right on red. I said "so?" he replied " there's a "no turn on red" sign back there. I said "really? I never saw one there in my life." he turns around to check and tells me to "have a nice night".

Old 05-31-2009, 12:58 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
There was a checkpoint set up on Rt.112 yesterday in Port Jeff by the LIRR tracks. It was MTA PD, not SCPD. They were getting alot of people for seatbelts, and for stopping on the tracks. They also had a landscaping truck parked in a lot that wasn't going anywhere (INS?).
I'm glad to see them pulling these ppl over. Driving is a priviledge, not a right, and the safety regulations are there to protect you and everyone else on the road.
I couldn't believe how many people stopped on the tracks, even with the MTA PD in plain view. Unlucky for them, the next stop was getting a ticket.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:39 PM
BCW

84 posts, read 283,553 times
My personal favorite LI bad driving habit is FMSD (Failure to Maintain Safe Distance). So many, many times I see 4+ cars all rear-ended in one incident. Last week I counted 6 in a line on the side of the SS, all rear-ended in the same chain reaction incident. Morons. If they'd stop following each other so closely that wouldn't happen, at least not 6 cars! I don't really even know if this (FMSD) is a law here. I used to see it cited as a cause in the papers reporting on auto accidents quite often in the state of Ohio. I've never seen it mentioned in NY. Yes, its in the driving regs when concerning safe following distance to an emergency vehicle, but I've not seen it mentioned for passenger/commercial vehicles.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:08 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,141,125 times
wow...today wasnt my day. I was backing out at home depot from a spot. everything was clear. no one to the left or right of my car. then all of a sudden, a van turns into my aisle as im backing out and I almost hit him. he has the nerve to tell me to watch where im going. the guy was not there when I backed out and he should have used caution before turn into the lane I was backing into. its common sense. if I see someone backing out of a spot, I dont speed up and try to pass the guy.

and thank you to the old lady that cut across 3 lanes of traffic on sunrise highway and causing me to ride up on the center island. I slammed on my breaks and got out of the car to tell the woman to watch where she is going. she said she didnt see me. I dont understand how my wife and i see her cutting 3 lanes of traffic but the woman and her passenger dont see us.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:42 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
wow...today wasnt my day. I was backing out at home depot from a spot. everything was clear. no one to the left or right of my car. then all of a sudden, a van turns into my aisle as im backing out and I almost hit him. he has the nerve to tell me to watch where im going. the guy was not there when I backed out and he should have used caution before turn into the lane I was backing into. its common sense. if I see someone backing out of a spot, I dont speed up and try to pass the guy.

and thank you to the old lady that cut across 3 lanes of traffic on sunrise highway and causing me to ride up on the center island. I slammed on my breaks and got out of the car to tell the woman to watch where she is going. she said she didnt see me. I dont understand how my wife and i see her cutting 3 lanes of traffic but the woman and her passenger dont see us.

Silver lining: You didn't have any accidents, didn't receive any tickets.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:45 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCW View Post
My personal favorite LI bad driving habit is FMSD (Failure to Maintain Safe Distance). So many, many times I see 4+ cars all rear-ended in one incident. Last week I counted 6 in a line on the side of the SS, all rear-ended in the same chain reaction incident. Morons. If they'd stop following each other so closely that wouldn't happen, at least not 6 cars! I don't really even know if this (FMSD) is a law here. I used to see it cited as a cause in the papers reporting on auto accidents quite often in the state of Ohio. I've never seen it mentioned in NY. Yes, its in the driving regs when concerning safe following distance to an emergency vehicle, but I've not seen it mentioned for passenger/commercial vehicles.
There is a law against following too closely.

VIOLATION POINTS Reckless driving 5 Failed to stop for school bus 5 Followed too closely (tailgating) 4 Inadequate brakes (private car) 4 Inadequate Brakes (employer's vehicle) 2 Failed to yield right-of-way 3 Disobeying traffic control signal, STOP sign or YIELD sign 3 Railroad crossing violation 3 Improper passing, changing lane unsafely 3 Driving left of center, in wrong direction 3 Leaving scene of property damage incident 3 Child safety restraint violation 3 Any other moving violation 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island