Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 12:53 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times

Advertisements

Many blades of grass harbor these disgusting creatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 06:35 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,947 times
we went hiking in brookhaven state park this morning & found two just like that when got home. i hate them!

Old 06-01-2009, 04:31 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Because it is cool. I took off a tick from my dh's back last week but he got it in PA.

The weather is cool, wet and that is when we have more. Watch out in the fall also.

d

Old 06-01-2009, 06:44 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
If you do get outside often, consider using insect repellent. It does work, especially for mosquitos.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:59 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
The ticks are going to be really bad this year because the winter was so mild. The picture is of a Lone Star tick, they can carry diseases such as Ehrlichiosis and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. They are persistent little buggers (pun intended), and will range far and wide to find a host. Thank the changing climate for them on LI. They used to be a more southern species of tick and now are here along with the Dog ticks and the Deer ticks spreading disease. I love most creatures, and can find the good in almost anything, but I can't find the good in ticks! Evil little creatures.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:11 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I got one on me last week while working in Oak Beach.
Little bastard got me on the back of the knee. Had to pull him off with my needle-nose pliers. First tick I've ever had on me that actually got a bite outa me.
I've been covered head to toe with them many times, but never a bite. Until now.

Strange thing is, I walked a cement path to the area I had to work, and was working in a sandy area with no growth at all. Totally unexpected. It must've been on the neatly cut grass bordering the walkway. Yuck.
I had the heebie-jeebies the rest of the day.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:03 AM

431 posts, read 1,337,760 times
We just moved from west islip to north carolina....talk about ticks.....I've had atleast 15 in the past 2 months.....

The first one and pretty much all of them have been the same tick pictured....its called the lone star tick.......its brown with a single white dot on the back...

I took off one and looked down and saw another on my hip....got startled and yanked it out leaving the head in my leg.........I burrowed a hole in my leg getting it out......

I was told by some friends here who seem to be very used to removing them to try using peroxide the bubbling helps lift any remaining parts that you may not have gotten out.....and it worked after I dripped it and wiped over and over again....

the other info I just got was if you have one latched on to pour liquid soap ontop of it.....they are supposed to release themselves right away and then your supposed to blot it with a cotton ball that they will then grab hold of......

Havent tried it yet.....but sure we will have to.........also the off deep backwoods with deet works great......if we spray we're good no bites or ticks......if we dont something always gets one of us.....
but it does work for keeping the ticks off......

Suzanne

Old 06-02-2009, 09:03 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I got one on me last week while working in Oak Beach.
Little bastard got me on the back of the knee. Had to pull him off with my needle-nose pliers. First tick I've ever had on me that actually got a bite outa me.
I've been covered head to toe with them many times, but never a bite. Until now.

Strange thing is, I walked a cement path to the area I had to work, and was working in a sandy area with no growth at all. Totally unexpected. It must've been on the neatly cut grass bordering the walkway. Yuck.
I had the heebie-jeebies the rest of the day.
Yes, ticks aren't just in the long grass, they can also be lurking in neatly cut grass too. I basically avoid the grass totally from March until it's covered in snow at work, unless I have on treated clothing. There are so many deer that I suspect it's all crawling with ticks.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:23 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Permethrin works better than DEET. They sell it in Walmart as Permaone.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:48 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
I got bit by one of those ticks a few years ago out in Yaphank. I bugged out for a few days and convinced myself I had lyme disease, but I haven't started foaming at the mouth or running through town with my underwear on my head yet so I think I'm safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island