Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:43 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
What is the price range per square foot, and is there generally a "volume" discount? Debating whether to do a few rooms at once, or just the one that really needs it.
Already looking for an angle.

Call a few.

Get back to us with your findings.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 07:28 PM

97 posts, read 394,373 times
Thanks all!

Old 06-06-2009, 04:35 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
ask for moisture cure urathane. It is tough as nails. Stinks real bad for a few days, but worth it.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:26 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
I'm getting an estimate this week from a local guy in Northport - I'll let you know what I find out. From what I'm reading online it could be anywhere from 1.50-4/sq. ft, but here on LI I'm thinking it's on the high end...

Old 06-06-2009, 10:11 PM

97 posts, read 394,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I'm getting an estimate this week from a local guy in Northport - I'll let you know what I find out. From what I'm reading online it could be anywhere from 1.50-4/sq. ft, but here on LI I'm thinking it's on the high end...
Thanks! I would really appreciate that! If you don't mind me asking, how many rooms are you having done?

Old 06-07-2009, 04:47 AM

One or two, depending on price. A bedroom and an office, probably under 200 square feet each, oak. The rest of the downstairs is in good shape, luckily, and my husband just replaced all of the upstairs carpet with new wood floors himself.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:44 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
^^ Just curious if you got any prices? Im in the process of ripping up my carpets and all those dang staples. Ughhh. My floors need sanded and coated too! Let me know. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:19 PM

I was quoted $425 for an ~ 200 sq. foot room. Sanding, stain, 2 coats of polyurethane. He said 2 icoats is usually enough for a BR, but it will add an add'l $125 if I want a third coat. I am going to give him exact measurements for the two rooms I am thinking of doing, and then I'll get an exact price per square foot and report back.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:04 PM

15 posts, read 13,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStarfish82 View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone or a company who refinishes wood floors. We pulled up rugs and want to have four rooms done fairly soon.

Any recommendations??
I have the perfect guy. Cheap and does great work. Also very clean. He has the new machines that clean as he sands. There is little to no dust when he is done.

PM me.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:16 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,407 times
I'm curious to know if there really was little to no dust on surfaces. Check your walls with a Swiffer; you may be appalled at how much sanding dust clings to painted walls but you don't even see it it because it's such a fine layer. It may show up on a white painted wall but probably won't on any other color. But if you run a Swiffer across the wall you'll find out instantly!

Also there's a big difference between the amount and type of dust generated by screening (which is only taking off the top layer of poly, which is clear) and that generated by sanding down to bare wood (which is horrendous).

The guy who did my nephew's house charged $2500 for seven rooms and an entry hall. Supposedly he used a "dustless" sander and it did have a bag on it, but even with the bag there was a thick layer of dust over every horizontal surface (baseboards, windowsills, window tops) and ALL the walls had a layer of sanding dust on them.

The only truly dustless method is the one in which the sander is connected to a hose that goes out to their truck, in which there is the equivalent of a huge vacuum. There is only one company that I've seen advertising this truck-mounted dustless system but they only want to do big jobs (they came to look at my nephew's job and said it was "too small of a job" for them to do).

The truck mounted units are expensive I'm sure, and thus I wouldn't expect small companies or individual refinishers to have one -- but would love to hear of any who do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island