Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 7,316 times

Advertisements

I will be Grad. this May from St. Joseph and all of us grads. were told that there are many teaching jobs , what is your best advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 10:56 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,639,806 times
I would say you will not have too much of a problem...science, math, and special ed is always in need.

Good luck. It's a pretty damn good job...I might just switch careers someday.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:00 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,009,219 times
I haven't been in the field for a long time but I wish you good luck. It's all those unfortunate elementary ed. teachers (like myself) they con to getting a degree I feel sorry for...

I've been waiting for these fantastic jobs to open up for 15 years!
I think maybe science and math teachers (and special ed) have it a little easier.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:45 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,639,806 times
No offense, but virtually all teaching jobs seem to be great. I know MANY poeple that switched frombusiness to teaching and they all say it's the best. The only people I know saying its not are teachers that have only been teachers.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:58 AM

75 posts, read 293,217 times
I'm a high school English teacher in the Albany area and would LOVE to move back to Long Island! I've been doing the research, and it seems you'll have an easier time finding a job than I would. I assume you have or will student teach somewhere, and the likelihood is that they will hire you (it's not guaranteed, though). Math and Science teachers are the most sought after by public schools. The underlying theory is that most math and science types can pursue advanced degrees in their fields and get much better paying jobs outisde of teaching. Some advice (if I may impose) is to flood the market with your resume. Send them to every disctrict listing an opening on the Nassau/Suffolk BOCES (OLAS) website. Send resumes to schools that aren't listing openings, either. Some teachers make last minute moves in the summer, so keep looking up until the end of August. You should be subbing right now, too. Do whatever you can to actually be in contact with as many schools as possible. When you discover you like one in particular, try to make friends with teachers and persuade them to ask for you specifically when they need a sub (BOCES lets teachers do that). In my short experience, most teachers are NOT type A, but being a type A is often necessary to getting a position unless you know someone or get offerred a job where you student teach. Many schools like to hire alumni. Many will give very special attention to their grads (especially when it comes to administrative positions).

Old 04-12-2007, 09:03 AM

P.S.

In respnse to GCGuy, I started to hate teaching during my third year. I want to get into business. I think it's a personality thing. Also, I can hardly support my family in upstate NY with my income. Trying to do the same on LI would be near impossible. The retirement is good, and vacation is nice, but I spend my vacations trying to earn a little money somewhere else so my wife can stay home with our infant daughter.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:36 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,839,302 times
why not work in NYC? you'll have schools begging for you to work there. You would have a great selection of schools and would most likely be placed in a great school. You're in a shortage area, but remember, Long Island is about who you know.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:46 PM

21 posts, read 242,659 times
You are SO right Rachael84, it is WHO YOU KNOW on Long Island. My husband has a masters in English Ed. and could not find a perm. job on Long Island. He taught for 8 years, always leave replacements or sub jobs. No health benefits. He is now driving a school bus. If it wasn't that we live in a mother/daughter home with my parents and share costs, we could never make it on Long Island.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:35 PM

That stinks BarbaraPC. I'm a HS English teacher in one of the Albany suburbs. I do well, but I would like to live on LI again. Is it that difficult for liberal arts teachers?? My friend from high school was just promoted to Asst. Superintendant (at 27!). Maybe he can get me a job in his district.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:13 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,009,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraPC View Post
You are SO right Rachael84, it is WHO YOU KNOW on Long Island. My husband has a masters in English Ed. and could not find a perm. job on Long Island. He taught for 8 years, always leave replacements or sub jobs. No health benefits. He is now driving a school bus. If it wasn't that we live in a mother/daughter home with my parents and share costs, we could never make it on Long Island.
Thank you for validation I am not going insane. My parents think I was 'just lazy' about not being able to find a teaching job here.

I got my BA in English with no plans to teach (I wanted to be a writer). However, after college, the jobs I wanted were all in NYC and I was unable to commute. (long story). I was told how teaching would be a GREAT Job for me..hey summers off...home with your own kids...I also like children, I am good with kids so it was a natural choice.

I got my MS in Elementary Ed. in 1991 and the only teaching I have done (apart from 5th grade student teaching and college tutoring) is in preschool. I've posted how CRUDDY that pays..Eventually I had to get business jobs (marketing/customer service) to have a steady income.

I tried to work in a learning center a few years back but they pay poorly as well AND only give you 2-3 hours a week..I felt like it was a waste of time.

When I do return to work it will probably NOT being teaching.

Sorry to hijack the OP's thread...good luck to you...I hope you find something you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island