Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:35 PM

240 posts, read 1,054,987 times

Advertisements

Have you looked into Rocky Point at all? Honestly after living here 18 years I have had nothing but a wonderful experience. The schools are excellent and housing is very reasonable. There is a wide range of housing styles and neighborhoods to fit any price range. Homes can go from the mid to high 200 thousands to over 1 million. I don't know how far east you're are willing to move, but we are slightly west of ridge and on the north shore (about 15 minutes east of Port Jefferson).Hope this has sparked your interest or helped you in your decision. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 06:54 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,635,307 times
The train out of Ronkonkoma (express) to NYC takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Whoever told you that it is 45 minutes either doesn't know how to tell time or wants you to move there very badly.

Off the topic, why do you capitalize each word you write? Just curiosity - nothing more.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:53 PM

12 posts, read 34,338 times
You should check out the east end of the North Fork. Try Mattituck or Southold. Goodluck!

Old 06-15-2007, 04:47 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,923,475 times
I live in Ridge, right on the Wading River border. Our school district is average overall but has excellent special Ed programs, clubs & athletics. The kids in my neighborhood have terrific school spirit.
My taxes are exactly half of what they would be if I moved my house over the wading river border. We have a slow pace here, with neighbors that sincerely care about each other. No keeping up with the Jones' going on. We are really close to the beautiful north fork & wine country. 10 minutes from great shopping in Riverhead, 30-45 from great dining in the Hamptons. There is no good train line for express to the city here. 5 minutes to a north shore beach, 15 minutes to the ocean.
We have very little crime, people the stores are nice, not self absorbed like other areas. People in general are polite & pleasant-its a real treat. I work in Nassau County & I thank god every night when I cross that Suffolk line & get out of that chaotic rat race.
The homes here are truly affordable, most of my neighbors have money for extras like big RVs, boats. All the kids around here learn to fish, swim & sail in our private lake. There are always kids safely riding their bikes around the neighborhood or in the miles of wooded trails. Kids can be kids here.

Good luck in your search.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:10 AM

80 posts, read 290,701 times
I love Stony Brook and Setauket...less congested, good schools, been here for almost 6 yrs.(grew up in Nassau and it was closing in on me). Not the quickest train ride to NYC but great if you work @the university or one of the many hospitals. Taxes are high, however if you like older homes you can find one in just about any area with lower taxes-$3k-6k. I'm a realtor so just let me know if you need any help

Old 06-23-2007, 04:34 PM

77 posts, read 429,455 times
I'm a FSBO if you are interested in checking out Manorville. You can send me a private message and I'll send you the link. We don't have kids in school but hear it is a good school district. We want to relocate back to NH where we came from and where our family still lives. Would love to hear from anyone interested in moving to Manorville.

Last edited by NY652; 06-23-2007 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: reworded in part

Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 AM

4 posts, read 11,611 times
Default Thinking of moving to Coram!

My husband and I are seriously considering moving to Coram. We found a brand new development "The Preserves" with really nice townhouses. I was hoping for some feedback on the neighborhood and school system. We have 2 small children that will be attending school.

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:44 AM

58 posts, read 162,264 times
We moved from NYC to Long Island and we chose Huntington. We decided on Huntington because:

-my husband commutes to the city, so there had to be a major line close
-I needed to not be on top of our neighbors and have a home with some property
-I prefer the geography of the North Shore better, both are amazing in their own way, this is totally a personal preference
-the availability of community activities such as the Y and the parks and overall community feel

No city is perfect though. Huntington is relatively far away from major highways and big box shopping. The public schools also aren't as good as some other districts. Your best bet into reach out to an agent who is familiar with Long Island, tell him or her what is important to you and go from there.

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any questions!

Old 01-14-2013, 06:45 AM

3,477 posts, read 5,668,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfassy View Post
My husband and I are seriously considering moving to Coram. We found a brand new development "The Preserves" with really nice townhouses. I was hoping for some feedback on the neighborhood and school system. We have 2 small children that will be attending school.

Thanks so much for your help.
You should have probably started a new thread, but anyways.

Where in Coram is this? Street names would be helpful

Old 01-14-2013, 03:51 PM

4 posts, read 11,611 times
THanks so much! It is located at 2135 RT 112 it is called the The Preserves Stevens Place. We r going our there tomorrow to look around again. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island