Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 12:52 PM

149 posts, read 351,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
My husband and I fled Long Island in October. We just couldn't take it with the high cost of living which includes overpriced homes and outrageously high taxes.

My brother, who lives in Denver, frequents the Newsday.com site.. after all Long Island was our home for 25+ years and so we do get nostalgic and are curious as to what is going on. Apparently there was an article about pensions and a searchable database. My brother searched the pensions of our former teachers, super etc.

Here is the email:

WTF is damned right! It's lunacy. Long Islanders.. you are being raped. You can continue to bend over and take it, or you can do something about it..like ban together and breat this ridiculous cycle...

I left.. I have better things to do with my time and my life than to fight for something we shouldn't have to fight against. I'd rather have more of a quality of life than put up with this nonsense.

Anyone thinking of moving to LI. It's beautiful.. but it's so not worth the price tag you are going to pay..one that continues to climb. Unless you are pulling in well over $150K as a family, you won't ever be "comfortable" there. Costs are out of control.. and so is the beaurocracy!

I think your confused. State pension applies to the state, not just Long Island. I think your fight is with the county if you are complaining about taxes.

As far as the state workers go the pension is fair. A sub-par salary for 30 years with a great pension as a reward.

Im sorry you had to leave Long Island. But just because you cant afford it isnt a reason to punish the state workers of all people. Why not take a trip to the North Shore people who are living on 35 million dollar estates and pay 3times what a 500K house pays. How is that fair? 500K house pays 10K a 35 million dollar mansion pays 30K?

To take out your frustrations on State employees who make a sub par salary as opposed to the rest of NY is simply lashing out without really having a clue what your talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I agree with you to a certain extent. I also left LI in DEC 08 for the same reasons but I'm also collecting a 96,000 tax free NYS pension also and I'm not in my 50's but late 30's. I guess I'm taking my NY money and spending in VA and boy does it go a lot further
Moderator cut: language

96K tax free pension? 20 years? So you topped out at 150,000 a year after 20 years of service and got a 65% pension? Uhh huh.. sure ya did.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-10-2009 at 01:46 PM..

Old 06-10-2009, 01:07 PM

240 posts, read 237,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propain View Post
Hmmm... I smell bull****.

96K tax free pension? 20 years? So you topped out at 150,000 a year after 20 years of service and got a 65% pension? Uhh huh.. sure ya did.
He's a cop and got the disability pension... I think that's 75%. Many state employees have a trade-off between current salary and future retirement benefits that makes sense. It's the cops, for example, that get paid extremely well and also have the killer pensions and healthcare that is crashing the system.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 Fighter View Post
He's a cop and got the disability pension... I think that's 75%. Many state employees have a trade-off between current salary and future retirement benefits that makes sense. It's the cops, for example, that get paid extremely well and also have the killer pensions and healthcare that is crashing the system.
He was making 130K as a Lieutenant after 17 years? I highly doubt that. I work for the state and I know the pension is good. But while its possible I think there is a little bit of exaggeration in his salary. Enough to try to **** off a lot of people in this thread.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:19 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
He was making 130K as a Lieutenant after 17 years? I highly doubt that. I work for the state and I know the pension is good. But while its possible I think there is a little bit of exaggeration in his salary. Enough to try to **** off a lot of people in this thread.
With overtime? Guys who are patrolmen for SCPD brag about pulling 120K+ per year.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:23 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,467 times
Default Ad Absurdium & False Dichotomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 Fighter View Post
Your argument has the force of common sense?? HAHA If teachers have to suffer through not getting raises, just like almost everyone else, and they become unmotivated and do a bad job because of it than I don't want them as teachers to begin with!

The fact is taxes are out of control and attempting to hold them at pay by freezing pay is worth a shot because it may work. If what you say is true and the whole world collapses, then you can give the teachers their raise and all order will be restored.

Competition is an excellent thing, despite what many good ol demo's would have you think. However too much competition in a rigged market (ie: the teacher's market) is a symptom of a job in which the demand is significantly higher than the supply and therefore the costs could decrease.
The world doesn't collapse and the teachers don't teach badly if you cut pay (and call it what it is - a pay freeze is a cut of roughly 3.5% annually). Instead, they don't have the motivation to keep the schools as competitive as they presently are.

There's no such thing as an unrigged market. Your new problem with a rigged market should not be used to justify pay cuts. Evidence of a rigged market is cause to fix the rigging. I don't know that cutting pay remedies the rigging.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
The world doesn't collapse and the teachers don't teach badly if you cut pay (and call it what it is - a pay freeze is a cut of roughly 3.5% annually). Instead, they don't have the motivation to keep the schools as competitive as they presently are.
And again I say a teacher who loses motivation to teach to their absolute best by simply not getting a raise is someone I don't want teaching my kids in the first place. The job still pays handsomely and has excellent benefits. There are still tens of thousands in line waiting to take an open position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
There's no such thing as an unrigged market. Your new problem with a rigged market should not be used to justify pay cuts. Evidence of a rigged market is cause to fix the rigging. I don't know that cutting pay remedies the rigging.
There are such things as an unrigged market (unless you are a not job conspiracy theorist, then you need meds).

Also, cutting pay doesn't remedy the rigging, but it does alleviate a symptom (high pay). Yes the market is still rigged but at least we LI'ers aren't getting ripped off.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Actually 130k a year with overtime for 17 years OTJ is not exaggerated at all, and if fact typical for that level with that many years experience. In the NCPD and SCPD the comp would be more than that!

Old 06-10-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
With overtime? Guys who are patrolmen for SCPD brag about pulling 120K+ per year.
Yeah, I guess its possible. I think the problem with the PD is that they can apply OT to their salary and use it for their pension. That shouldn’t be. OT is OT and NOT salary.

I don’t know if this still applies though. I have about 19 years left until I retire and im mid 30. The county and state police force salaries are very high.

The Counties are mostly to blame for the current situation on Long Island though. Terrible budgeting and overpaid police and local government. This is why Long Island isnt affordable. This is why your taxes are also very high. You can also blame the teachers in your local districts making 90-100K a year WITH the summer off. It has nothing to do with the state pension system.

The motto for Long Island is “Keep the taxes high to keep the undesirables out”

Old 06-10-2009, 02:18 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
My husband and I fled Long Island in October. We just couldn't take it with the high cost of living which includes overpriced homes and outrageously high taxes.

My brother, who lives in Denver, frequents the Newsday.com site.. after all Long Island was our home for 25+ years and so we do get nostalgic and are curious as to what is going on. Apparently there was an article about pensions and a searchable database. My brother searched the pensions of our former teachers, super etc.

Here is the email:

WTF is damned right! It's lunacy. Long Islanders.. you are being raped. You can continue to bend over and take it, or you can do something about it..like ban together and breat this ridiculous cycle...

I left.. I have better things to do with my time and my life than to fight for something we shouldn't have to fight against. I'd rather have more of a quality of life than put up with this nonsense.

Anyone thinking of moving to LI. It's beautiful.. but it's so not worth the price tag you are going to pay..one that continues to climb. Unless you are pulling in well over $150K as a family, you won't ever be "comfortable" there. Costs are out of control.. and so is the beaurocracy!
ummmm I'm a single homeowner making about $60k a year...I own a condo and I live perfectly well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island