Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:17 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
He's now a resident of Florida, which has no state income tax, so any raise in taxes for the wealthy cannot affect him. Why doesn't he go away already?
Because he has an ego that is bigger than Espada's ethical problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 12:18 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,872 times
Quote:
He's now a resident of Florida, which has no state income tax, so any raise in taxes for the wealthy cannot affect him. Why doesn't he go away already?
I think he got his revenge. He makes the Dems look bad while putting his friends back in power for however long it lasts. When money isn't an object the result is well worth the investment. It's the same thing that just happened with Specter but the howling was much less. And really how fast they turn when they are no longer on the same team.

The Daily News yesterday was practically crying. The biggest reason? Gay marrage. I'm sorry but people keep trotting out the statistic of "One third of the population can't get married". Well higher taxes and less service affects 100% of the population.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:44 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,789 times
They said they were going to reinstate the STAR rebate checks

Old 06-10-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
With what $$$??

Old 06-11-2009, 12:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
I think he got his revenge. He makes the Dems look bad while putting his friends back in power for however long it lasts. When money isn't an object the result is well worth the investment. It's the same thing that just happened with Specter but the howling was much less. And really how fast they turn when they are no longer on the same team.

The Daily News yesterday was practically crying. The biggest reason? Gay marrage. I'm sorry but people keep trotting out the statistic of "One third of the population can't get married". Well higher taxes and less service affects 100% of the population.
1/3 the population of the United States is gay? Where did they get that statistic? I don't believe it. I think it is significantly less.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:56 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
I am thoroughly confused.

I thought getting rid of the STAR rebate checks was NOT getting rid of the tax break, it was just giving the tax break off the top instead of making the homeowner pay it first and then the State issues a refund check.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:19 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,768 times
The STAR rebate was an extra check off the tax reduction. The state can't afford it.

I think the blind jokes are tasteless. It's not as if we can't get plenty of mileage out of Paterson's incompetence; who needs to resort to blind jokes? At this point, the only consolation is that at least we're not Illinois or California.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
1/3 the population of the United States is gay? Where did they get that statistic? I don't believe it. I think it is significantly less.
You know it's my fault. I've regurgitated some "facts" that have been thrown at me in the past. I also think the # is lower but even if it's 40% it still doesn't outweigh 100%.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
You know it's my fault. I've regurgitated some "facts" that have been thrown at me in the past. I also think the # is lower but even if it's 40% it still doesn't outweigh 100%.
Regardless what % it is, it doesn't mean we can't deal with several things at once. As far as the higher taxes, the only ones that will see any kind of real increase are the very wealthy, not sure how that affects 100% of the population..

Regadless this move just doesn't make much sense for Skelos. He has been a well entrenched, incumbent who has generally been well liked and respected in a district which leans Democratic. Alligning himself with two guys who have major ethical issues, and naming one of them to President Pro tempore could really blow up in his face. If his popularity takes a hit from this he could wind up having a real fight on his hands to stay in the Senate considering the political makeup of his district (the 2nd strongest Dem district of the 9 on LI registartion wise). Now a few things I have heard is some of this could be about reducing the power of the Majority, now that the Republicans are technically out of it, and giving each caucus the same amount of state funds, no matter how large the majority is.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:06 PM

Oh I don't disagree smash, the point I was making was that THAT was the issue that the Daily News was crying about. With all of the other and I feel more important issues they could have used they had chosen what I feel is the LEAST important right now with the State economy in shambles.

Also, no matter what they tell you peoples taxes are going up. I'm not going to hijack the thread but if you believe them when they say they won't go up I've got a bridge to sell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island