U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 11:10 AM

111 posts, read 391,048 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone here has one in there home (basement or Garage). I'm totally against outside wood boilers. Too much smoke. I was thinking of getting one but I need an expert that knows what he is doing. Can anyone share their experience or stories?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:46 PM

Anyone?

Old 06-12-2009, 08:47 AM

cricket: chirp chirp chirp

Old 06-15-2009, 01:20 PM

ANYONE? I'm thinking of getting a Froling Turbo 3000. What do u think?

Old 06-15-2009, 01:33 PM

5,886 posts, read 11,761,720 times
Seems like it would be pain in the a*s. What will you do in the winter when your away from you home and need heat? It looks like it holds about 8 pieces of small wood. Im not crazy about it.

Wood boiler heating systems intelligently engineered by BioHeatUSA » Froling Turbo 3000 » Photos (http://www.woodboilers.com/product-photos.aspx?product=50 - broken link)

Old 06-16-2009, 08:34 AM

I agree but you have to graph this system onto your existing heating system with a 500 gallon hot water repository. If you fill it up twice a day in the winter then your good. If not then your oil burner will take over. I'm just thinking about the future.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:45 AM

5,886 posts, read 11,761,720 times
Cool. I didnt know you hooked it up to your original home system to make it a hybrid system. Neat. But what do you do down the road when your "older" and dont want to be cutting wood or lugging it around to fill the hopper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giznot View Post
I agree but you have to graph this system onto your existing heating system with a 500 gallon hot water repository. If you fill it up twice a day in the winter then your good. If not then your oil burner will take over. I'm just thinking about the future.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:18 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,984,909 times
They have systems like this in Ireland ; they are called back boilers. When you light the wood fire, it is attatched at the back to a burner and that heats the oil which in turn heats the water going into the radiators.

I think they are an excellent system. Many of my family have them and they are great.

d

Old 06-16-2009, 10:07 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,100,577 times
I know a few people upstate who have indoor pellet boilers...and they use as their primary heat source. The benefit there over wood is you can easily set up an automatic feed system. You couldn't do that with wood. Other than that I'd imagine the results would be the same.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:12 AM

4,432 posts, read 7,656,246 times
We had a wood burning stove many moons ago. It was a small one and it was in addition to our oil burner. We had it in the basement and put a hole in the basement ceiling with a pipe running from the top of the stove to the hole. This redirected heat up into the house. In the winter we mainly used it for heating. We saved a lot of money on oil. The downside to this was that our contract with the oil company was canceled because we "do not burn enough oil". From then on we used the cheapest ones we could find without having a contract. When the oil people would come to service the burner, we stacked junk around the wood burning stove. This prevented any hassles. The other downside was eventually a town assessor contacted us and said that we would be reassessed because they saw the second pipe unless we took it down. So down it came. Somebody in the neighborhood probably called. I can't see a town assessor driving around looking for things like this. But at that point it didn't matter because we had no more wood.

We got all of our wood from Hurricane Gloria. We drove around and anyone who had a tree down were more than happy to let us cut it up and carry it away. Worked out for them because we didn't charge them anything and worked out for us because we got free wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island