Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 02:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,180,143 times

Advertisements

In the midst of our debating over teacher salaries and benefiits on Long Island, I got an email asking me to donate money/volunteer for this particular program:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/05/ed...rter.html?_r=1

OMG! You can imagine what my answer was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 02:33 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,721,568 times
It is an interesting concept. But it would not work within the island's unionized districts. They are basically looking to do what most industries do - paying up to get good people.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:35 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,266,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
In the midst of our debating over teacher salaries and benefiits on Long Island, I got an email asking me to donate money/volunteer for this particular program:

no way in hell...I give enough money to the school system and I don't even have kids! It's ridiculous...why should people who don't have kids have to pay school taxes. NO, NO & NO!

Old 06-12-2009, 02:44 PM

13,506 posts, read 16,952,802 times
Quote:

I don't believe it any less than when the SC PBA calls me asking for a donation. Put me on your pension plan and I'll think about it.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
It is an interesting concept. But it would not work within the island's unionized districts. They are basically looking to do what most industries do - paying up to get good people.
What do you mean by that? NYC's teachers are unionized too.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:37 PM

Default Here's part of the text of the email I got

Did you happen to see the NYTimes front page on Friday? http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/05/ed...05charter.html

It was also the #1 most emailed article over the weekend. The Equity Project Charter School (TEP) has made headlines everywhere because it will pay a $125,000 salary to teachers, all on a regular public school budget. It's being treated as one of the boldest ideas in recent history, but the premise is actually pretty simple: schools can reallocate money in existing budgets to attract and retain truly outstanding teachers.

One of the boldest ideas in recent history? Please. This has been done for decades on Long Island, and judging from some of our extremely poorly performing districts who also have many highly compensated teachers, it is nothing but a high priced failure. That is what I told them when I emailed them back (also cc'ing TEP itself).

Old 06-12-2009, 11:19 PM

82 posts, read 179,436 times
Default Won't buy ur dime for a quarter

Quote:

As a charter School,..I'm assuming the admistration cost are very econimical and slim,..so much so,..that it's able to afford to pay these Teachers so much with NYC Teacher Union benifits and providing small classrooms with a NYC school budget.

Just goes to show you Long Island and NYS Public schools are wasting away are hard earned tax dollars.

Funny thing,...NYSUT will take anybody's membership dues even if their threatening to reform the whole school system in which they operate,..I wonder what will result of this.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:55 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,916,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
no way in hell...I give enough money to the school system and I don't even have kids! It's ridiculous...why should people who don't have kids have to pay school taxes. NO, NO & NO!
Um, because it's taxes, not tuition?

Next up: Why should I pay FICA/Medicare when I can't collect it, why should I pay for the fire department when my house has never burned down...

Charter schools are non-union, by the way, and some of them really churn through teachers. Despite what union detractors say, it would appear that they actually do have some benefits.

And no, it hasn't been done on LI. Find me 35 year old teachers making $125K here. I'll be waiting a long time. Teachers being ABLE to make high salaries after 20+ years is very, very different from what this charter is proposing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island