Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:32 AM

14 posts, read 78,346 times

Advertisements

There is a home that my husband and I are trying to purchase. It is a REO property. It was disclosed to us that there is a extra room added onto the side of the property that there is no C O for. What would be involved in getting one? Would it be possible to if we are not the owners yet? Any help would be appreiated. thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 05:21 AM

659 posts, read 2,508,460 times
Whatever you do, don't purchase a home without a CO. It could be big money to get it if you need to make changes to pass inspection for that room. It is a headache not worth it. The current owner is responsible for getting a CO and it could take months.

I would walk away

Old 06-15-2009, 07:31 AM

6 posts, read 13,552 times
We had a similar issue with the home we're currently in contract with. The deck and mudroom were add ons from the 70's but were not permitted. The owners agreed to a price reduction which is great, and since we'll be tearing it all off ourselves this is money in our pockets.
Remember that you and the seller are essentially working toward the same goal and you should be able to work out a solution that is mutually beneficial.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:23 AM

964 posts, read 2,455,018 times
Trinisweetness,

I'd have an inspector look at it. If it looks solid and is up to code, it shouldn't be a big problem to get a CO.

Alternatively, if it's solid and up to code, then you can just leave it. You'll get the benefit of the extra space without getting a tax increase because of it.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:34 AM

6,374 posts, read 13,095,582 times
Have the seller get the CO before you sign the papers on closing day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinisweetness View Post
There is a home that my husband and I are trying to purchase. It is a REO property. It was disclosed to us that there is a extra room added onto the side of the property that there is no C O for. What would be involved in getting one? Would it be possible to if we are not the owners yet? Any help would be appreiated. thx!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:48 AM

292 posts, read 817,637 times
My parents had to get a CO on their entire house when they sold it since there was no such thing as a CO when it was built OR when they bought it. It wasn't that big of a deal. They had even added a deck - they had to change the steps on the deck but that was it.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 AM

964 posts, read 2,455,018 times
Look, most areas of the country don't have such strict CO rules. I find NY tends to over regulate in order to create more civil servant positions.

The buyer here should know that if they do make the seller get a CO, their taxes will increase significantly. So, they have to weigh that vs. the risk that some element of the addition is dangerous. That's why I recommended getting a good inspector to look at it.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:14 AM

270 posts, read 967,027 times
Depending on the loan/bank, the proper CO's may need to be in order for closing to go through, so this may not be entirely up to the buyer/seller if such conditions exist.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:31 AM

748 posts, read 2,878,561 times
Getting a CO usually takes many months, and cannot be completed in the time frame of contract-to-sale. Some plumbing COs can be accelerated but a CO for a room seems like a longer time frame. Often, money is put into Escrow for getting a CO. The buyer has the option of specifying this in the contract, withhold money ( could be 2% of purchase price, 10k or whatever it takes to get a CO) in escrow and make the sellers responsible for getting the CO if they need the escrow money. If the seller does not get a CO within 12 months, the escrow money will be paid out to the buyer. Discuss this with your attorney.

Many times, a variance will be required.. and that means you would need the blessings of your neighbors to have the extra room. You should contact the town.. or better, a drafting service that is experienced in obtaining COs and variances about this. If you need a variance, it costs more, and there is no guarantee you will get one, so take that into consideration.

Also be aware that your taxes will go up once you get a CO.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:59 AM

14 posts, read 78,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Trinisweetness,

I'd have an inspector look at it. If it looks solid and is up to code, it shouldn't be a big problem to get a CO.

Alternatively, if it's solid and up to code, then you can just leave it. You'll get the benefit of the extra space without getting a tax increase because of it.

Thanks for the response. What type of inspector? Is it the one from the town? If so, can i do that even though we dont own the house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island