Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 04:57 PM

672 posts, read 904,941 times

Advertisements

This is my last spring in Long Island, NY. I am moving to Florida (unfortunately) in June. Now, I do not mind winters. I actually like the cold and snow -- in December, January, February, maybe even March. But April????? I just heard that we not only had the warmest January in a hundred years, but the COLDEST April in that same time period. What is this payback?

Anyway, I am hoping that May will turn into a spring and not a summer here. I want 60s and 70s New York Spring, not Florida's 90s Summer.:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 05:01 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
This is my last spring in Long Island, NY. I am moving to Florida (unfortunately) in June. Now, I do not mind winters. I actually like the cold and snow -- in December, January, February, maybe even March. But April????? I just heard that we not only had the warmest January in a hundred years, but the COLDEST April in that same time period. What is this payback?(

This may be my last spring in NY if winter doesn't let go and disappear!!!!!!!!!! Already eyeing up Virginia for retirement and it may be sooner than later.....the snow we could see this weekend will blow away any April records they have ver kept

I liked the WARMEST January ever much much better

Enjoy Florida!!!!

Old 04-13-2007, 05:27 PM

287 posts, read 1,460,159 times
Also my last spring in NY as I am moving to S.C. at the end of May!! Good bye NY!

Old 04-13-2007, 08:08 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Why are you moving to Florida if you don't want to?

Old 04-14-2007, 08:28 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Why are you moving to Florida if you don't want to?
Long story (I'm her daughter, btw)...I'm moving out and getting a job and living on my own, and we've been renting a pretty expensive house for a while. My dad is in Florida because he lost his job a few years ago, and settled for the first job offered to him. She's moving down to Florida to be with him, and they plan on moving out of Florida in about 3 years and retiring somewhere (probably Nevada, where I plan to move). She doesn't like Florida, but it won't be for too too long.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:09 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
oh....if she doesn't like Floria wouldn't she HATE Nevada? My impression of Nevada was that it was exactly the same as Florida but with no ocean and no green.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:34 PM

No, they have a lot more winter than Florida. It gets into the 40s there in the day in winter and sometimes 20s at night. And plus, drive 45 minutes into the mountains and there's skiing. Nevada isn't like Florida at all.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:39 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,554 times
Yeah thats a tough one. If one doesnt like Florida, then its possible they will be unhappy in Nevada, yet depends where in Florida they are. You right there is very little green here in Nevada. Its pretty tough keeping up on the grass, the trees are palm trees.

I'm not crazy about Nevada and we are looking to move back east. But some New Yorkers love it here. Depends on the person. In my opinion with the gambling scene everywhere you go, its not the best place for kids.

But there are alot of jobs, the homes arent dirt cheap, but you do get alot for your money, low taxes, but thats not always a good thing, we need more police officers here but the people vote that down in fear of a tax hike.

If your going to move here i suggest " Henderson".

Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
oh....if she doesn't like Floria wouldn't she HATE Nevada? My impression of Nevada was that it was exactly the same as Florida but with no ocean and no green.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:42 PM

Yeah, we're all looking into Henderson. I don't think I would want to live in the actual city. Much better schools in hendersoon too. My dad's former coworker lives in Henderson, and I visited this past summer. He's going to check out the area. He hasn't been to Nevada since the 70s, so I'm sure he will be surprised at how much it's grown.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:49 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,554 times
Default Henderson NV

Cool, are you looking to buy or rent? For the most part all of Henderson is pretty safe, i would avoid the Boulder highway area though, besides that Henderson is growing real fast, plenty of places to shop & eat, nice clean well kept mall. Great places to eat. If you like Italian keep this name in mind " Anna Bella's its a family owned place , best Italian i ever had, not to pricey. Its in Henderson.

And oh yeah we have been here 10 years and its changed alot, but the 1970's? Its a different town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah, we're all looking into Henderson. I don't think I would want to live in the actual city. Much better schools in hendersoon too. My dad's former coworker lives in Henderson, and I visited this past summer. He's going to check out the area. He hasn't been to Nevada since the 70s, so I'm sure he will be surprised at how much it's grown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island