Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:55 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times

Advertisements

Fios is much better. I had a similar situation to one of the previous posters with Internet and TV dropping and pixellating. I was told after 3 visits it was because I was using a HDMI cable for TV (seriously?) and because my router was no good (brand new). Guess what, after I switched to FIOS, using the same wires and equipment, absolutely NO problems. I prefer the TV end of it MUCH more, larger selection of channels and on demand, and a better guide. I do not prefer the phone service, I liked Optimum Voice better (when it worked), it had more options. But FIOS is supposed to offer a service similar to that over the summer.

FIOS also guarantees their price for 2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 03:22 PM

347 posts, read 1,352,645 times
Much happier with FIOS - their set top box is WAY better than the crap Scientific Atlanta box that Cablevision provides. So much faster, it really is unbelievable. One problem with FIOS is that their DVR box does not support external storage - so if recording HD programs is important to you, you really need to get a TivoHD. I prefer the Tivo anyway.

Another good thing about FIOS is that their regular phone (NOT Internet-based phone service) is included in the bundle. I always had problems with Cablevision's Optimum Voice service. The hard-wired phone is so much better.

The two areas where Cablevision has FIOS beat is with their tech support and with billing. FIOS tech support is maddeningly difficult to work with. For a problem I had recently, I spoke to at least 4 people and they sent me the wrong equipment. Finally, I got someone out to my house, who did fix the problem (the signal into my TIVO was "too hot" had had to be reduced - it was causing pixelization on a few channels). This was after I had a debate with someone on the telephone about Verizon not supporting any of the internal wiring in my house and that the installation was only covered for 3 months. Not a fun conversation. Let's see if I get a bill for the service call.... And about the billing - I have probably called Verizon about 6 times to fix incorrect bills - for some reason, I was getting charged for installation services I never needed, and the promotion I had ($30 off the bundle for 6 months) would never show up on the bill. To Verizon's credit, they never gave me a hard time and always credited my account, but it was annoying having to call so much.

One last thing to be aware of with Tivo - hardly anyone at Verizon knows how to deal with it, so whenever you have a problem, it's a bit frustrating. But with the external storage issue on the FIOS set top box, there really is no other choice if you want to store lots of HD programs.

Oh, and you will need to use the FIOS wireless router for your internet connection. This was not a problem for me, as the FIOS router actually works really well and has a great range - no issues at all.

My vote is for FIOS all the way! I really feel bad for people in townships that do not have it approved yet (i.e. Brookhaven). I was lucky since I'm in a village.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:25 PM

90 posts, read 296,471 times
I too have problems with Cablevision pixelating. It was so bad Superbowl Sunday that I could not even watch the game. After numerous calls and getting nowhere I am having FIOS installed next Wednesday, I can't wait.

I will be paying about the same price for all 3 services because of the amount of TV's, but I will be getting a 2 year price guarantee and my cablevision bill is set to increase again even though I am losing channels on a regular basis. I guess cablevision soon will require a box for all TV's.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:25 PM

20,060 posts, read 20,872,330 times
FIOS is in Islip.
I'm very happy with FIOS. No problems other than some minor crap when it was first installed. It's been around 6 months now.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:29 PM

108 posts, read 358,001 times
thanks for all your feedback. this information has steered us towards Fios.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,294 times
I work in Islip and live in Crookhaven. The TV and Internet at work is by far better and faster than what I have at home. Cablevision raises it' s rates every year and goes and puts so many of their own commercials on TV, sometimes 3 in a row. They probably don't have to pay for them anyway, keeping the increases. What a joke. I don't call anymore for problems with the box as it is futile. I have reached a level of contempt for this company as they really don't care about the customer. I will absolutely go to FIOS when the town of Crookhaven allows it to be installed. A manager at Verizon I know says Crookhaven won't allow Verizon in ever because the Dolans live here. Ah, the smell of anti-progress, Crookhaven style ! If I sound bitter, I am. I'm tired of corruption and ineptness from these jackals.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:48 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
Not only does Cablevison keep raising the rates they keep taking away more and more channels trying to force us to buy their boxes. Just this past Memorial Day I was informed that Patton on AMC so I turned on my TV and went to channel 43 and guess what? "This channel is not supported". We already have a box at the TV downstairs ... why should my parents now have to get a box for every TV in the house?

Cablevision = extortion

Old 06-18-2009, 05:57 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,582,103 times
when you use the cablevision DVR how the heck do you save recorded programs? VCR's went the way of the pony express.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:21 AM

270 posts, read 969,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
Oh, and you will need to use the FIOS wireless router for your internet connection. This was not a problem for me, as the FIOS router actually works really well and has a great range - no issues at all.
Just a correction - you only need the router to provide VOD and guide data to the set top boxes. I use my own router, connected directly to the ONT via CAT5 for Internet, then I have the actiontec router via Coax connected to the cable. You can also bridge the two if you don't want to use CAT5 and stay with the Coax.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:49 AM

347 posts, read 1,352,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg71 View Post
Just a correction - you only need the router to provide VOD and guide data to the set top boxes. I use my own router, connected directly to the ONT via CAT5 for Internet, then I have the actiontec router via Coax connected to the cable. You can also bridge the two if you don't want to use CAT5 and stay with the Coax.
Interesting - you must have done your research when they were installing the system. Maybe something for me to consider if I ever want to put my own router in place (although I would have to run CAT5 across the entire house to get to the ONT). For now, the Actiontec works quite well so I am ok.

Another thing for potential FIOS people to consider is the ONT - Optical Network Terminal - which will be attached either to the side of your house or in the basement. It's a fairly large box and getting everything installed is not exactly a fast process - the guys were here at my house for at least 6 hours (3 people in total, at various times). Once they are done though, its worth it.

One more thing to note: they need to bring the FIOS connection to your house at the same location your electric is coming in. So if you have Cablevision connecting in a different location from your electric, FIOS will not be connected there. Apparently Cablevision complained when FIOS was installing away from the electric connection because some FIOS installation guide (internal document at Verizon) said you need to install where the electric is...so now Verizon has no choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island