Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:59 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Years ago verizon tried to route calls offshore, the union stopped this, and kept jobs here in the united states. people complain about how bad unions are, but our country was built using unions, and kept good paying jobs. Look at the situation we are in now. All the jobs are gone.
Good. Glad to hear the union put a stop to it, but Verizon didn't just "try," they actually got away with it for awhile, because I spoke to these offshore people several times. The service sucked and I didn't appreciate talking to foreigners who could barely understand me and who I could barely understand. These days whenever I speak to customer service and it is an American on the other end of the line I tell them that I appreciate their company keeping jobs in the US where they belong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
As far as verizon having contractors, that has never happened. I am not sure why you would think that? Was this in NY? I know down south they use contractors, but not up here in the north.
On Long Island. This was when there were a lot of different landline phone companies out there and Verizon was doing the repair service for nearly all of them in Nassau. I swear some of the work vans they drove up in did not even say "Verizon" on them! They were just plain vans. The guy who actually did good work said that Verizon took on too much with the contracts for other phone services and was using independent contractors and claimed he ended up being one too. The closest actual Verizon office to me was in Lynbrook at that time if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:33 PM

6 posts, read 26,748 times
Having subscribed to Cablevision for about 7 years and then switched to Verizon FIOS about a year ago, I can say that first off the internet is much faster and reliable with Verizon. I don't use the phone that much, but it does seem clearer than it used to be, and I don't have the problem with the alarm company I used to have with Cablevision. Now with TV - its not even close. A lot more channels, a lot better picture, the on demand library is huge and a lot of it is free. I have a multi room DVR which is really a great feature. TV is no contest. FIOS by a marathon.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:57 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
I didn't realize just how bad cablevision is until I went to my folks house the other day. I hadn't watched tv on cablevision since February. I am so glad that I made the switch, no regrets at all. Wish I'd done it sooner.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:20 AM

339 posts, read 933,830 times
Is Fios TV available in the Holtsville area?

Old 07-25-2009, 11:04 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf2737 View Post
Is Fios TV available in the Holtsville area?

No it is not, complain to the town of brookhaven. They will tell you it is verizon playing games, but it is the town. They are being unrealistic with a timetable for verizon to wire up the town. They are telling vz to have it wired in 5 mos. Every other town gave vz 5 years. It wont take that long, but 5 mos is impossible.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:38 AM

347 posts, read 1,352,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I didn't realize just how bad cablevision is until I went to my folks house the other day. I hadn't watched tv on cablevision since February. I am so glad that I made the switch, no regrets at all. Wish I'd done it sooner.
I totally agree. Going to someone's house and checking out their Cablevision service is like going back to the stone ages! The set top boxes are incredibly slow with a really ugly interface - I don't know how I ever dealt with it before.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:56 AM

43 posts, read 180,247 times
Made the switch a few months ago, and I'm so glad I did. More channels, much better picture, tons of free on demand. The only thing I didn't like was having to rent a box for every TV (we have 5!), but at the rate that CV was dropping channels from 'non-box' service, we were probably going to have rent boxws from them to get more than 7 channels.

If anyone is considering making the switch to Verizon, I can help you get an additional one time $75 credit towards your Verizon bill. They have a very generous referal program that allows you to split the referal reward ($100 for double play, $150 for triple play) with the person you refer. If anyone is interested, send me a PM.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:28 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded Boss View Post
I have a question regarding price though. I used to have a Verizon land-line, and although it was supposed to be $34.99/month, the bill came to $52/month or so with all the "fees" and taxes. With Cablevision I have IO, the HD DVR, internet and great phone service and my monthly bill is $149-$150. Verizon is offering their "triple play" for $94.99, but I wonder how much that will be after they add in the taxes and "fees"?
It is about $15 in taxes and that is the worst part about Verizon.. Otherwise they are superior, especially tv. Cablevision apparently only charges $5/mo in taxes.. is that correct? They tried to get me to switch back and named that as one of the reasons to... tempting, but the slow tv channel changing and guide really bothers me.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:35 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette-T View Post
so i packed all my outdated Cablevision apparati and brought it to my local service center where i found a 10-person-long line of new Verizon clients bringing their archaic boxes back as well.
It's funny Cablevision (and Time Warner) is running a commercial showing the exact opposite with dissatisfied FIOS customers returning the equipment. We know that's not true.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:47 AM

341 posts, read 1,536,107 times
that commercial is hysterical. They never even give a reason... they're all returning the boxes because they're bills are "confusing."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island