Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:19 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,915 times

Advertisements

why are cigarette machnines not permitted where kids go and not lotter machines?

the law states in order to purchase either, you have to be 18/19 to purchase them, no?

lottery is just as addicting cigarettes and is a disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 08:28 AM

90 posts, read 296,266 times
I never thought about it, you are absolutely right though. Excellent question.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:49 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,414 times
Well if you stand next to someone who is playing a a scratch-off are you at risk for second hand gambling?

Outside of non-payment complications do scratch-off players put a drain on our HC system? Not nearly as much as smoking.

Do scratch-offs stink?

Do you ever walk by someone and say "ugghhh he reeks of scratch-off"?

Although they are just as likely to be found littering the floor have you ever heard of a California forest fire being caused by a scratch-off?

Old 06-21-2009, 08:54 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Well if you stand next to someone who is playing a a scratch-off are you at risk for second hand gambling?

Outside of non-payment complications do scratch-off players put a drain on our HC system? Not nearly as much as smoking.

Do scratch-offs stink?

Although they are just as likely to be found littering the floor have you ever heard of a California forest fire being caused by a scratch-off?
I think what the poster is implying is that it is a vice type of regulation and should not be advertised or readily available to children.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:54 AM

UNDERSTOOD! Thanks!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:

Do scratch-offs stink?

lotto is gambling. gambling is just as addicting as cigarettes or drugs. my father used to spend $40 a day on lottery tickets. if that's not addicting enough for you then I don't know what is.

Let me bring up something that had happened about 8 years ago:

my wife, son and I were all shopping at the supermarket. we were busy putting the groceries away in the bags. my wife accidentally dropped a $20 bill. our son grabbed it. he was about 5 years old at the time. he walked over to the lottery scratch off machine and put the 20 in and selected a $20 ticket. we were furious. sure, we are supposed to watch our kids at all times but sometime when you turn your head for a second, that's when they do the worse. we punished him accordingly.

now, my question remains: why are lotto machines accessible to anyone while cigarette machines aren't?

Old 06-21-2009, 09:03 AM

BECAUSE, regardless of your experience the ER's aren't flooded with gamblers. Hospitals are not flooded with gamblers. Period. Out of control gambling is a problem I don't disagree. However like I tried to imply previously nobody has died over a scratch off. Thousands upon thousands have died as a direct link to smoking. There's your answer.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
BECAUSE, regardless of your experience the ER's aren't flooded with gamblers. Hospitals are not flooded with gamblers. Period. Out of control gambling is a problem I don't disagree. However like I tried to imply previously nobody has died over a scratch off. Thousands upon thousands have died as a direct link to smoking. There's your answer.

so then why make the lottery illegal to anyone under the age of 18? is there a purpose for that law?

Old 06-21-2009, 09:16 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post

Let me bring up something that had happened about 8 years ago:

my wife, son and I were all shopping at the supermarket. we were busy putting the groceries away in the bags. my wife accidentally dropped a $20 bill. our son grabbed it. he was about 5 years old at the time. he walked over to the lottery scratch off machine and put the 20 in and selected a $20 ticket. we were furious. sure, we are supposed to watch our kids at all times but sometime when you turn your head for a second, that's when they do the worse. we punished him accordingly.
?
I take it that he didn't win?

Old 06-21-2009, 09:19 AM

I dont remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: