Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:49 PM

167 posts, read 383,380 times

Advertisements

My mom worked at one of the PS schools in Rockaway until she retired. I remember she was excited to start making 70k at one point. She had good kids with the occational bad apple. The other teachers were always trying to the steal kids from her class (she taught ESL, 1st grade).

I know a few people from LI that have been trying hard to get in as teachers here. On the other hand a know a dozen who are in already in. I would say that your "networking" ability is the 1 factor. They happen to be a very cliquey group!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 06:35 PM

7 posts, read 12,580 times
Teacher's and administrators salary website...
New York State | Public Employee Payrolls & Pensions on SeeThroughNY

Old 09-21-2014, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 625 times
I think citizens should get together and use the Freedom of Information Act to ascertain from Westbury School district, how many students are registered from each address and try to determine if there is a way to sue the district for lack of due diligence in registering students in the Westbury schools. The slack process exercised by Westbury is not allowed in Rockville Center, Five Towns, Manhassett, Carle Place, to name a few. I'm going to investigate this. Once the Westbury School Board attempted to re-register all the students in an effort to weed out the illegal and out of district students. A legal Hispanic legal defense group came to the board meeting and put it on notice that if it did go through with the reregistration, it would take it to court. The District caved. Every year the taxes go up in this place and the District has been at the bottom of the list in Nassau for over 20 years. How many sworn statements from one homeowner is the District going to accept from one address - attesting that the student(s) do live there?

Old 09-21-2014, 05:54 PM

483 posts, read 670,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepokerdepot View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong,..I hope I am.
I came acroos this link NewYorkSchools.com.
If you press the link, you will see the expenses for Bellmore-Merrick.
Then go to tab and press "expenditure data"

Am I reading this correctly? 86% of the Budget goes to Benefits/Wages?
Other Schools are about the same. Please corrext me If I'm wrong

I was checking on Westbury School dostrict also and it's up there as well,..The budget amount matches the amount of budget on record. I know the Westbury Super makes over 300k. While Merrick's Super makes 270k plus and just agreed on a contract for 4years for 3.5% per year for Teachers and I think 5% a year increase for the Super.

Wherever you have employees, it is the highest percentage of costs. Do you think it is any different for dr.'s offices, the local factory, or libraries? Why do you think places go to China?

Old 09-21-2014, 06:11 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal residents View Post
I think citizens should get together and use the Freedom of Information Act to ascertain from Westbury School district, how many students are registered from each address and try to determine if there is a way to sue the district for lack of due diligence in registering students in the Westbury schools. The slack process exercised by Westbury is not allowed in Rockville Center, Five Towns, Manhassett, Carle Place, to name a few. I'm going to investigate this. Once the Westbury School Board attempted to re-register all the students in an effort to weed out the illegal and out of district students. A legal Hispanic legal defense group came to the board meeting and put it on notice that if it did go through with the reregistration, it would take it to court. The District caved. Every year the taxes go up in this place and the District has been at the bottom of the list in Nassau for over 20 years. How many sworn statements from one homeowner is the District going to accept from one address - attesting that the student(s) do live there?
You're responding to a 4 year old thread.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:11 PM

18 posts, read 26,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
You're responding to a 4 year old thread.
Who gives a ****?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:28 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Aww come on! Renters in LEGAL apartments DO pay property taxes! They pay the rent to the landlord, who then submits the portion that is taxes to the County. Rents would not be so high if the taxes weren't so high. It is only in ILLEGAL apartments where nobody pays enough property tax to support the schools properly.
most legal rentals are studios, one bedroom and two bedroom apts mainly rented by singles, DINKS and older folk. They pay school taxes and do not get the STAR rebate.

Towns like Freeport which has illegally converted large run down Victorians converted into multifamily dwelling kill the town.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:18 AM

148 posts, read 248,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
300k is loco.

We do have to keep in mind that costs about 15k a kid to educate them.

A guy paying 9k in taxes to send 2 kids to school is getting a hell of a deal.
Retirees, not so much.

I think it woul be prudent to have only taxpayer/homeowners voting budgets.
Renters are almost always a district burden, some worse than others.

Sad.

Crooks
This mentality is the problem.

If everything were designed so that you can escape social responsibility by running away in an enclave town or village where you don't have to contribute anymore to the system you just left and exploited you'd see the utter deterioration of the society at large. Or at least the reinforcement of the class based system of exploitation where education is commodified to keep a certain populace uneducated to be bred as day laborers, HHAs housemaids and servants.

Your idea of a perfect system gives me the shivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island