U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 10:31 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,069,427 times

Advertisements

Alrighty forum friends (and enemies I suppose). Quick home improvement question. What should be my expectations at a price per square foot, including the typical railings, etc, for a composite deck (timber tek, trex, etc). I am trying to figure if time would permit me putting it in...but that is looking less likely. So I will be serving in a painful "check writing capacity" for this small project. I have gotten a wild range so far, and have been very clear with every place exactly what I want and need. Any related experiences or ballpark guesses would be helpful. DM to me would probably be best, if you have two cents to share.

I am counting on you guys...and counting on this rain to end...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 02:13 PM

874 posts, read 2,607,925 times
The only advice I can give you is to do it yourself. Decks really are not hard to do if you plan it right and take your time. I have had one bad experience with a contractor and have met many other people who have as well. My bad experience involved trying to have a two car garage done. The person I used actually redid my friend's entire house and did it well. Everything was inspected and it came out perfect. About a year after his house was done I hired him to do my two car garage. I gave him $6,000 up front and he did the foundation. I then gave him another $6,000 when he was supposed to do the framing. After this, I never saw or heard from him again. He actually owned an automobile body shop as well which was closed down when I went looking for him. He wound up robbing a lot of people whom he was supposed to do body work for as well as other people he was supposed to do contracting work for. In my opinion, especially with the bad economy, there are a lot of contractors that have lived "over their head" for a long time and now they are in deep financial trouble. I feel that contractors in really bad financial trouble will gladly rob people they even know to get out of whatever mess they are in. Of course, they are not ALL going to be bad but it is not easy to figure out which ones will rob you blind and which ones will not. I was actually friendly with the guy that was supposed to do my garage and knew him personally before this happened. My friend whose house the contractor redid had someone else lined up to do his house before the person whom robbed me but then found out through numerous different sources that the original guy he was going to use was in the process of claiming bankruptcy which would have screwed my friend if he had used him. It is extremely hard to weed out the non criminal contractor from criminal and like the guy that screwed me, the criminal ones could have good recommendations from people that used them in the past when they had no financial difficulties so my advice would be to do it yourself if you can. In any case, I wish you luck with your deck project.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:26 PM

4,294 posts, read 7,404,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Alrighty forum friends (and enemies I suppose). Quick home improvement question. What should be my expectations at a price per square foot, including the typical railings, etc, for a composite deck (timber tek, trex, etc). I am trying to figure if time would permit me putting it in...but that is looking less likely. So I will be serving in a painful "check writing capacity" for this small project. I have gotten a wild range so far, and have been very clear with every place exactly what I want and need. Any related experiences or ballpark guesses would be helpful. DM to me would probably be best, if you have two cents to share.

I am counting on you guys...and counting on this rain to end...
I will do it for $100 and lunch and water included. I do part of my work nights too.

My only question to you is, do any of your neighbors have decks and if so, which ones are in the best shape? I need this information before I can start the work.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:30 PM

Simply out of curiosity; why would you need information about his neighbor's decks before starting any work? Is it so that if you do his deck well they may ask you to do their deck as well?

Old 06-23-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
Simply out of curiosity; why would you need information about his neighbor's decks before starting any work? Is it so that if you do his deck well they may ask you to do their deck as well?
Ok, that is why I put the in my post.

For one thing, if you look at my price, $100 to do his entire deck, and put that together with I do part of my work at night and add onto that about which neighbor has a good deck...

equals

me going to the neighbors at night, taking their deck and putting it in jrprofess's yard.

I put the to indicate that the post was a humorous one.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:36 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,069,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
I am thinking his plan is to simply take their wonderful deck, remove it, and plop it in my backyard. Efficient plan.

By the way Ego...your prior post made me terrified to speak to anybody with a carpenter's tool belt .

Old 06-23-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I am thinking his plan is to simply take their wonderful deck, remove it, and plop it in my backyard. Efficient plan.
If you want a trex deck, it'll cost you an Italian lunch.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:

By the way Ego...your prior post made me terrified to speak to anybody with a carpenter's tool belt .
I am simply telling my personal experience and my opinion. As I said, I know there are good contractors out there but I think it is extremely hard to weed out the bad ones. If I did not personally know the person who robbed me I would have not hired anyone to do the garage. I did my entire basement myself with the exception of the plumbing and the electric. I know I can frame the garage myself and that is what I will be doing once I get enough money together for materials. I also have to redo my decks and will be doing them myself once I get the money for materials for that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island