U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:20 AM

302 posts, read 923,818 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at houses in a few communities and wanted any opinions or first-hand knowledge of these areas. I am currently looking at houses in Stony Brook, Setauket, Mt. Sinai and Miller Place. We will be in the lower end (<400k) of these neighborhoods and are not sure which is better and for what reasons. (Given comparable houses).

As always thanks in advance for all of your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 07:35 AM

13,369 posts, read 16,029,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtech123 View Post
I'm looking at houses in a few communities and wanted any opinions or first-hand knowledge of these areas. I am currently looking at houses in Stony Brook, Setauket, Mt. Sinai and Miller Place. We will be in the lower end (<400k) of these neighborhoods and are not sure which is better and for what reasons. (Given comparable houses).

As always thanks in advance for all of your help!
It depends on a variety of factors. Where are you commuting to work? I can tell you that the relative small difference between Stony Brook and Miller Place on the map can add up to an extra 40 minutes on the road...Route 347 is an abomination. Commute is a big issue to me, I'm not sure about you.

400K will buy you more house in Miller Place than Stony Brook. I don't think you will find comparable houses in those 2 areas for 400K...but I could be wrong.

I like the area of Stony Brook by the water, but you aren't going to be living there for 400K. You're also probably talking about South Setauket or the tract home developments of Stony Brook Road in Stony Brook, not the north shore fancy pants areas.

There are a lot of variables in this discussion. I think that Miller Place is also a notch down in terms of school districts..still good but not as good as 3 Village or Mt. Sinai. Again, what factors are important to you?

Old 06-23-2009, 07:39 AM

16,966 posts, read 32,898,277 times
You need to give us some idea as to what YOU consider 'better' as opinions will be vary, but in the end yours is the only one which will matter.

For example:

Some people prefer newer housing stock, others like old homes.
Are you looking for a community with a mix of people or one which is more homogeneous?
Do you need to be close to shopping, other services, or houses of worship?

Old 06-23-2009, 07:58 AM

302 posts, read 923,818 times
I havent been on 347 east of nicholls during rush hour.. is it really that bad? I work in melville so its about 45-55 minutes to nicholls, and i dont think i can handle another 30mins to get out to miller place.

I know the school and housing situations, but I was asking more about the people. Any quirky facts about the communities that I may not know?

Old 06-23-2009, 08:02 AM

7,658 posts, read 18,283,471 times
Id add Rocky Point, Ridge, Shoreham and Wading River.

Access to the Wm Floyd is key.
(Exit 62-68 goes very fast and Billy F north of LIE is cake)

Youll do very well sub 400k, might even score a waterview.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 06-23-2009 at 08:11 AM..

Old 06-23-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I havent been on 347 east of nicholls during rush hour.. is it really that bad? I work in melville so its about 45-55 minutes to nicholls, and i dont think i can handle another 30mins to get out to miller place.

I know the school and housing situations, but I was asking more about the people. Any quirky facts about the communities that I may not know?

During rush hour it's bad, during Saturday and Sunday afternoons it's bad...it's terrible from the Northern State all the way to 112!! Even though it takes just as long, I'll take 25A just because it's a nicer ride.

The South Shore fixed Sunrise long ago and is much better for it, but 347 is the way it is because of NIMBYISM and environmentalists. I actually had a friend of a friend (environmental type) tell me that they shouldn't make 347 a limited access highway because that will cause the North Shore to become more built up. Apparently the guys who built the giant developments on postage stamp sized lots in Mt. Sinai weren't deterred.

There's nothing really quirky about the people or communities..North Shore Long Islanders are pretty much the same. Mt. Sinai has/had the Chandler Estates, which are a quirky place..a hill up behind a church where Marilyn Monroe hung out one summer..now it's basically ruins. Pretty cool.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Miller Place is a very nice upscale blue collar elite town.
Taxes can be brutal.Very good schools.

Stony Brook is much more educated and diverse.
Its getting very crowded there though...big, big gap between the Old Money and Strathmore/So Setauket (aka your budget).

347 is useless and you'll be married to it in SB.
Its a great town with great schools though.

Crooks.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Id add Rocky Point, Ridge, Shoreham and Wading River.

Access to the Wm Floyd is key.

Youll do very well sub 400k, might even score a waterview.

Crooks
Oy Vie. 20 mins to the LIE and then another 35 minutes to Melville, Crooks. They said they don't want a longer commute. We're talking an hour each way if they are driving during the teeth of rush hour to get up there.

I drove through your neck of the woods last weekend to kill some time. Saw about six Harleys in the back roads. I'd live up there if it wouldn't increase my commute by 40 minutes.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Oy Vie. 20 mins to the LIE and then another 35 minutes to Melville, Crooks. They said they don't want a longer commute. We're talking an hour each way if they are driving during the teeth of rush hour to get up there.

I drove through your neck of the woods last weekend to kill some time. Saw about six Harleys in the back roads. I'd live up there if it wouldn't increase my commute by 40 minutes.
Dman

Youre hell bent on painting NE Brookhaven out to be as far a Montauk.

Having worked in Melville for years...its an hour to 110 during rush.
All Im saying is that Miller Place would be harder.

Pat Mt Sinai Exit 63 sucks.

Crooks

PS
Youd live up here if you could find a buyer for your house in Seldom ; )

Old 06-23-2009, 08:20 AM

9,341 posts, read 28,288,152 times
MDtech123, when you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island