Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:44 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,407 times

Advertisements

Of course each township is different but just FYI, in the Town of Islip even if you apply for a permit for an 'accessory structure' that's more than 144 square feet you need to also supply architectural plans for said structure. That's in addition to the $200 fiiling fee and the 35-cent-per-square foot permit fee if not built yet. If it's already built, there's the $200 filing fee plus a $400 certificate of compliance fee. Not sure if the 35-cent is added to that. And there's a 10-ft maximum on the height of any accessory building.

When I lived in Islip Township my neighbor bought a readymade shed that the Town denied a permit to because it was more than 144 sq ft and 4" over the 10 ft max height limit. So he exchanged the shed for a smaller size one. The Town then denied the permit because the shed was "still too large" to sit on a cinderblock base; it required a poured concrete base. So he exchanged it for a still smaller shed, I believe something like a 6x8 that was allowed to sit on a nonpermanent base BUT it had to pass inspection for having a certain type of additional tie-down as well.

Town of Smithtown is similar except that their cutoff for architectural plans is 144 sq ft. You still need a permit even if it's smaller than that though. They've got a $100 minimum application fee, a $50 built-prior fee, a $50 assessment fee, and a $50 certif of compliance fee if the shed is smaller than 144. If larger than that, the application fee jumps to $250, 35-cents per square foot is added, and the other two $50 fees remain the same.

I'd guess most LI towns are pretty similar to theses in their codes and costs to these two. I just happen to have the paperwork since we've been house hunting within those two townships and it's handy to know what it would cost to make certain things legal if they're not already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 03:53 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
oh man you live in north bellmore, god I'm sorry- how awful. I hate that town- crappy, dirty, and a bunch of pricks who live there.

After all, Mepham football incident. Just goes to show you the level of "class" that town has.

I fought with mepham kids. bunch of punks. they love picking on kids half thier age. I sent them running home to thier mommies on several occassions!

Old 06-24-2009, 05:31 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
I wish the towns were this strict when it comes to overcrowded houses and illegal apartments. But that'd hurt the rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Cease and Desist? That's it!!! Assume the position. You're under arrest for having an illegal shed in your yard. You allowed this shed to cross the border and when it did, you broke the law by having it reside there.

Did you put the shed up? If so, the landlord may have you take it down. If it belongs to the landlord, then call the landlord and tell him about it.

Funny, why did you get the notice and not the landlord?

Old 06-24-2009, 07:49 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parliament View Post
I told my landlord I was putting up a little shed for my kids bikes and stuff.

10x12x8 is a little shed LOL??? That's the size of a room!!!

My suggestions: take it down.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:51 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I wish the towns were this strict when it comes to overcrowded houses and illegal apartments. But that'd hurt the rich.
If you file a written complaint, they have to follow up...
Most people don't want to "go on record" for fear of possible retaliation. The complaints are kept confidential, but if anyone knows anybody at the Town, it may not remain a "secret"

Old 07-01-2009, 10:32 AM

66 posts, read 232,592 times
Just found out that if someone does not complain again all is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island