Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 07:46 AM

66 posts, read 232,624 times

Advertisements

I have a 10 by 12, 8 foot tall shed in my backyard. It was made from scratch. The violation was from the Town of Hempstead and it said Cease and Desist. Do I have to take it down? What is the penalty? BTW, I do not own this house and the violation is in my landlords name.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 07:49 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parliament View Post
I have a 10 by 12, 8 foot tall shed in my backyard. It was made from scratch. The violation was from the Town of Hempstead and it said Cease and Desist. Do I have to take it down? What is the penalty? BTW, I do not own this house and the violation is in my landlords name.
Cease and Desist? That's it!!! Assume the position. You're under arrest for having an illegal shed in your yard. You allowed this shed to cross the border and when it did, you broke the law by having it reside there.

Did you put the shed up? If so, the landlord may have you take it down. If it belongs to the landlord, then call the landlord and tell him about it.

Funny, why did you get the notice and not the landlord?

Old 06-24-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Cease and Desist? That's it!!! Assume the position. You're under arrest for having an illegal shed in your yard. You allowed this shed to cross the border and when it did, you broke the law by having it reside there.

Did you put the shed up? If so, the landlord may have you take it down. If it belongs to the landlord, then call the landlord and tell him about it.

Funny, why did you get the notice and not the landlord?
I put it up.

The notice was left on the front door of the house. The landlord does not live here.

Seriously, is this a really bad thing?

Should I have taken it down last weekend?

Old 06-24-2009, 07:55 AM

OH yeah. It said Shed w/o Permit too...

Old 06-24-2009, 08:04 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,479 times
Ok, if the landlord owns the place and you rent there and you put it up, then it would only be right to comply with the law and take it down. You don't want more trouble and you don't want your landlord in trouble either (he could wind up evicting you for it).

First, I would find out what the violation is. I'm pretty sure it is the size of the shed and not the shed there. Second, find out what it would cost to get the permit. If its not much, it may be worth to do it. If it does cost too much then find out what you can do to avoid the permit and keep a shed there.

Most likely a neighbor complained.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:08 AM

Have not told the landlord. What if I leave it up? What is the Town going to do?

I might be moving in the next month or two. Can it wait until I move?

Old 06-24-2009, 08:23 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,371,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parliament View Post
Have not told the landlord. What if I leave it up? What is the Town going to do?

I might be moving in the next month or two. Can it wait until I move?
oh man you live in north bellmore, god I'm sorry- how awful. I hate that town- crappy, dirty, and a bunch of pricks who live there.

After all, Mepham football incident. Just goes to show you the level of "class" that town has.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:32 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,344 times
I'd assume the violation itself was issued to the owner of the property, i.e. your landlord, unless your lease specifically states that the tenant is reponsible for any and all violations they might incur as a result of their tenancy.

What does your lease say (if anything) about what changes you are and are not allowed to make to the house and/or property?

As for what can happen, if the Town is anything like like the Suffolk ones that I have lived in, you (or more probably the landlord) fines will probably accrue if the shed is not either removed or made legal after a certain date which is no doubt specified in the violation notice.

I once lived on a corner and a neighbor filed a complaint because my hedges were 4 ft high instead of the allowed 3 feet. The violation notice gave me either 7 or 10 days to comply (I forget which) before fines began to accrue. I don't remember whether the fines would have been assessed on a daily or weekly basis though.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:34 AM

Issued in the landlords name but left on the front door of my house. No lease.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:49 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,052 times
One of your neighbors probably turned you in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island