Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:22 PM

130 posts, read 743,184 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about this area? It is considered northern bellport if that helps. Still looking for a home!! lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 03:52 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
stay away from n bellport by martha. its terrible

Old 06-19-2009, 04:13 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
South Country school district is terrible. If you want special ed, its also horrible,

d

Old 06-19-2009, 04:23 AM

496 posts, read 1,250,905 times
i agree with two previous posters. s. country is not good. the area is not good.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:56 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesFixIt View Post
Anyone know anything about this area? It is considered northern bellport if that helps. Still looking for a home!! lol.

Stop looking and start buying.

What happend to Sound Beach, Rocky Point and Ridge?
These are all really affordable nice towns with good schools.
What are you waiting for?

Those are your best buys in Brookhaven right now.
Everything other "diamond in the rough" is just wishful thinkining.
(Gordon Heights, Bellport etc)

Remember if it sounds too good to be true.
It probably is.

Crooks

Old 06-19-2009, 06:11 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
To the OP...what is your price range? And how far east are you willing to go? Have you looked into Center Moriches?

Old 06-19-2009, 06:13 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
To the OP...what is your price range? And how far east are you willing to go? Have you looked into Center Moriches?
Good point, but I think shes east shy.
(She thought RP/SB was too far in an earlier thread so she'll despise going further east to Moriches.)

I think Center Moriches is a good buy right now since it was the town with the most depreciation in Suffolk.

May be a good time to buy in?

Crooks

Old 06-19-2009, 06:53 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
South Bellport and East Patchogue is really nice. It's nice and cool in the summer and warmer in the Winter due to the proximity of the ocean. Bellport village has nice restaurants and has many special events; 4th of July fireworks (While the rest of you are fighting your way up Bald Hill or Jones Beach, I'll be watching a Grucci show a mile from my house), Halloween parade, Art festival and many others. Homecoming is cool because unlike many school districts, Bellport has a social center (The village) where people concregate. Longwood, Wm Floyd, Three Village, etc cannot boast this.
There is a park right on the bay too. You do not have to live in Bellport Village to take advantage of all this, btw.
I like living on the South shore much more than the north shore because of less traffic but that's just me.
Contrary to what's been posted, South Country Schools are good. The HS is in Brookhaven Hamlet, and 1 elementary school is in Bellport Village, the other in East Patchogue. It's a small district compared to the surrounding areas and your children are less likely to fall through the cracks, IMO. Calling it a bad district is silly but honestly, people's perception of school districts at this site are not worth arguing about. I would never live in Three Village or Middle Country school districts but that's just me. Your kids get out of their education what they put into it.

The reason people are telling you the School district is bad is because North Bellport is a black community. Ths is similar to why Longwood is "Bad" (Gordong Heights) and Brentwood is "Bad" (Eeek, more black people).
That being said, North Bellport is not a nice place to live! Don't buy a house there! There is absolutely a drug/crime problem in North Bellport.

Look south and east if you want to live in the area.
I've lived in Bellport for 7 years and have no desire to leave.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:04 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
South Bellport and East Patchogue is really nice. It's nice and cool in the summer and warmer in the Winter due to the proximity of the ocean. Bellport village has nice restaurants and has many special events; 4th of July fireworks (While the rest of you are fighting your way up Bald Hill or Jones Beach, I'll be watching a Grucci show a mile from my house), Halloween parade, Art festival and many others. Homecoming is cool because unlike many school districts, Bellport has a social center (The village) where people concregate. Longwood, Wm Floyd, Three Village, etc cannot boast this.
There is a park right on the bay too. You do not have to live in Bellport Village to take advantage of all this, btw.
I like living on the South shore much more than the north shore because of less traffic but that's just me.
Contrary to what's been posted, South Country Schools are good. The HS is in Brookhaven Hamlet, and 1 elementary school is in Bellport Village, the other in East Patchogue. It's a small district compared to the surrounding areas and your children are less likely to fall through the cracks, IMO. Calling it a bad district is silly but honestly, people's perception of school districts at this site are not worth arguing about. I would never live in Three Village or Middle Country school districts but that's just me. Your kids get out of their education what they put into it.

The reason people are telling you the School district is bad is because North Bellport is a black community. Ths is similar to why Longwood is "Bad" (Gordong Heights) and Brentwood is "Bad" (Eeek, more black people).
That being said, North Bellport is not a nice place to live! Don't buy a house there! There is absolutely a drug/crime problem in North Bellport.

Look south and east if you want to live in the area.
I've lived in Bellport for 7 years and have no desire to leave.
I have relatives who went to Bellport schools. I worked with people who went to Bellport schools. If you stay with the right crowd and work hard, you can do well there, get into a good college. The teachers and programs are fine.

If you get in with the wrong crowd, or say the wrong thing to the wrong person, you can get jumped by 15 black guys and put into the hospital. Yes, it really happened.

And, Brentwood has a bad reputation because it is bad. And, it's mostly Hispanic, not black.

Timberline Park in Brentwood has a history of - Road Runner

I haven't heard of any drive by shootings in Sachem, Three Village, or even lowly Middle Country SD..although they may be there soon enough. Brentwood has a bad reputation because it is bad. North Bellport may be worse. If you send your kids to Bellport HS, they'll be going to the same schools as the kids, who stick around long enough, from North Bellport. Most likely they'll be fine. But..I wouldn't take the chance if I could afford not to.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:23 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
You mean there was a fight once at Bellport HS?

You just described every school on LI.

If it makes you feel better, South Country is mostly white. It's a fact. Just look at photos of Bellport HS's league championship photos the last 50 years. Lots of drug free white faces.
The one and only reason South Country gets a bad rap is people believe it's a black district because kids from N Bellport go there. Yet the school populace is white. That's strange.
Your wife is a teacher, you should know better.

I think the OP should go to the Bellport marina and sit on a bench for a few minutes, then go to the Post Office and Library, stop in to the CVS and Supermarket and have a look around. Then check out Kreamer Street School. All of this is within walking distance.
Then go to the brand new Lowes on Montauk Hwy and even stop at 7-11.
Count the black faces. It's easier to count the blacks because there are so many whites.
Do this and tell me it's a bad area. Oh, but the SD sucks because 20 kids from N Bellport go there.

We haven't even discussed taxes yet, btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island