Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 02:30 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,280 times

Advertisements

My work as a contractor brings me in that area often
Not a place for your kids. Unless you drive them to and from school and get a BIG dog with long teeth.
Look else-where
With respect to the honest people who still live there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 04:34 PM

36 posts, read 225,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Take a look and see if anything is up for sale near Huntington Harbor in the Glen-a-little Trail area. The houses are very small, but the area is terrific, and you'd be very close to one of our town beaches as well. As far as schools go in district 3, they're okay until HS when most people take their kids out of the system and steer them to a private school.

I took a walk around the glenna little trail area last night because one of my good friends lives over there. The housing stock is a bit older and varied, but some of the homes are done up very nicely, and there are tons of little roads and hidden steps and trails running throughout the neighborhood. It's really beautiful! I'd love to live there.

As for everyone flipping out about Huntington Station...I do drive down 110 at 2AM sometimes, and I've never felt the need to run any red lights there. I really don't think its as dangerous as people make it out to be. If you're not in a gang or walking around aimlessly at night, then you don't have much to worry about.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:13 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Huntington

Quote:
Originally Posted by llaurenn View Post
I took a walk around the glenna little trail area last night because one of my good friends lives over there. The housing stock is a bit older and varied, but some of the homes are done up very nicely, and there are tons of little roads and hidden steps and trails running throughout the neighborhood. It's really beautiful! I'd love to live there.

That would be in the Hamlet of Huntington.

It is important to know that there are 3 "Huntingtons" (from smallest to largest, in order of acreage):

1. There is the Hamlet of Huntington (whose "downtown" commercial district is colloquially referred to as Huntington Village);

2. There is the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone, and it includes the Hamlet of Huntington and parts of 2 villages (municipal corporations) and 5 other hamlets (unincorporated areas) within its service area; and,

3. There is the Town of Huntington, and it includes 4 villages and 15 hamlets as well as the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone and all or parts of 11 other ZIP Code postal zones, within its borders.

For those who may not be familiar with Huntington:

Huntington is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the north part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Huntington in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by Huntington Harbor, the Hamlet of Halesite, the Village of Huntington Bay, Huntington Bay and the Hamlet of Centerport; on the east by the Hamlet of Centerport and the Hamlet of Greenlawn; on the south by the Hamlet of Huntington Station; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor and the Village of Lloyd Harbor.

The Hamlet of Huntington has a different border than does the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Huntington and a place can have other than a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Huntington): places that have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Huntington are in the Hamlet of West Hills, the Hamlet of Halesite, the Village of Huntington Bay, the Village of Lloyd Harbor, the Hamlet of Centerport, the Hamlet of Greenlawn and the Hamlet of Elwood; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Huntington with a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" and a "Greenlawn, NY 11740" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 06-26-2009, 05:55 PM

341 posts, read 1,535,972 times
Quote:

As for everyone flipping out about Huntington Station...I do drive down 110 at 2AM sometimes, and I've never felt the need to run any red lights there. I really don't think its as dangerous as people make it out to be. If you're not in a gang or walking around aimlessly at night, then you don't have much to worry about.
we took a look at a house there and fell in love too. My wife liked it because it kind of reminded her more of say, the Hollywood Hills than "long island" because the geography is pretty interesting. Also, as we walked around the blocks and any person in their driveway gave a friendly wave...

We ended up backing out of two houses in the area because of engineer/paperwork issues. Lots of converted beach bungalows - so look out for missing C of Os and strange add ons.

Third house stuck (hopefully) and we hope to close in August. Very excited about this one.

You sometime see some nice smaller/reasonable homes in Halesite too... which was very nice but farther from the beach.

obviously, you'll get more "house" up in Huntington Station... but the neighborhoods are very varied.

Lots of nice stuff in East Northport and some good schools and lower taxes because of the Lilco subsidy. I'd give it a second look.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:47 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
The Glen-a-little Trail area is called Harbor Heights by the locals in Huntington. It used to be a summer colony which explains the converted cottages. Great area. Safe. A good starter area for a young family. And the plus is if you're at all into water and boating, it's right around the corner.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:16 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Halesite

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post
You sometime see some nice smaller/reasonable homes in Halesite too...

Halesite is one of those many "confusing" villages and hamlets where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address.

For those who may not be familiar with Halesite:

Halesite is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northern part of the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Halesite in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by the Village of Huntington Bay; on the east and south by the Hamlet of Huntington; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Huntington and Huntington Bay.

Halesite is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Halesite have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 07-02-2009, 05:47 AM

31 posts, read 138,998 times
you should look in the Maplewood section, which is just east of Depot Road, look around Oak Avenue, a great neighborhood.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:31 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Some good buys right now in the Maplewood section; granite kitchen, master suite, 1/3+ acre, sun room in back, reasonable taxes; cul-de-sac...

Old 07-02-2009, 09:47 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:

I lived in Bushwick for a while, I'm not exactly a wuss, and I do feel a little uneasy on 110 in Huntington Station at night sometimes. I wouldn't just blow lights, but I'm very aware when I drive through that area. We actually drove by a stabbing on 110 up there one night 2 or so years ago.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:04 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,872 times
Default hmm

You dont want to be anywhere near 110 between a couple of blocks past jericho turnpke and the railroad station. Just recently there have been a couple of gang shootings right on 110.

Stay east of 110 but far away from it in the south huntington school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island