Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 06:26 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It would be perfect if I could have a little cottage in R.P. so I would be able to leave India for a few months when it's monsoon season and when it's too hot ...
What no summers in Valley Stream?
I wish you would come out here.

I was referrring more to drifters, mentally ill, addicts etc roaming LIs streets.

All kidding aside, Id really really love to go to Goa.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 06:51 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
I think LI has always had it's share of nutcases. When I was 16 (back in the 80s) I went to the Bayshore DMV tp register my first car. I was walking out of the place and this bum walks up to me yelling that I stole his Social Security check. This old nut punched me in the mouth!

I went back inside to call the cops and they showed up and said "Leroy, you can't just go around punching people like that." LOL

I guess it's getting worse.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:59 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
I feel its LI in general, like I stated before I moved out of Baldwin almost 6 months ago. It's becoming like Brooklyn or Queens fast and in Baldwin even faster. While the older folks were moving out and the smarter younger ones also the changes on my block were dramatic. I love when poster say you don't like it because it's getting darker, not true. The two families that moved across the street are from Santa Domingo and Puerto Rico(very light skinned lol). It started out nicely but after 6 months one had 6 tenants and the other 4. And this in 3/4 bedrooms and 1 1/2 to 2 bath homes. With the added people comes the traffic and parking and garbage. One of the tenants walked around talking to himself all day, I guess kind of expected when your paying 60 a week and sharing a room with three others. The real kicker was the guy 3 a few doors down that was trying to sell for almost 2 years and I guess (hope ) just out of frustration he tells me one day................... I wonder if we are zone or maybe we are too close to Grand Ave to sell / rent my home to the state and let them turn it into a mentally ill or halfway home. WTF! I'm so happy to be out of there and in a much better place

I know some are going to post, why don't/ didn't you call up on them about the illegal apartments. It would have taken months if not years to straighten out that. When I went to my neighbors, they were like "you do what you have to to survive in this economy" so I permanently corrected the situation.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:48 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
I do not see the same in my area (Smithtown), or think anything has changed in the recent 5 years, but then again our local politicians are being sued for Section 8 bias (I am not saying this discrimination is good/bad) and Vecchio is almost a Mafia Don at this point. Smithtown is arguably too homogenous.

Hmmmm...maybe the residents of Rocky Point have been starting to explore new towns in Long Island....I am of course kidding...

Old 06-26-2009, 08:59 AM

186 posts, read 734,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
What no summers in Valley Stream?
I wish you would come out here.

I was referrring more to drifters, mentally ill, addicts etc roaming LIs streets.

All kidding aside, Id really really love to go to Goa.

Crooks
Okay, these posts kinda make sense to me...I am new to LI so not really sure how much has changed, but looking at these posts, I think I am getting a feel. Also, I am originally from India (yeah, immigrant but "legal" and highly-educated, before anyone starts bashing). So Goa is a great place to go, lovely beaches to remind you of LI and lot of sketchy people too LOL! But of course you wouldn't feel too bad about it because you wouldn't expect it be that way anyway, would you?

@I_Love_LI_But: India is beautiful, but can also get to your nerves when it comes to a lot of things...not to forget it is a "developing" country. Have you been there before? Trust me, if you are one who is --ultra fair complexion, "sharp features," and blue blue eyes and not scrawny -- then you will sure get a lot of attention there..hehehe...see you getting mine already! LOL!

That was some serious O/T post now

Old 06-26-2009, 09:05 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I feel its LI in general, like I stated before I moved out of Baldwin almost 6 months ago. It's becoming like Brooklyn or Queens fast and in Baldwin even faster. While the older folks were moving out and the smarter younger ones also the changes on my block were dramatic. I love when poster say you don't like it because it's getting darker, not true. The two families that moved across the street are from Santa Domingo and Puerto Rico(very light skinned lol). It started out nicely but after 6 months one had 6 tenants and the other 4. And this in 3/4 bedrooms and 1 1/2 to 2 bath homes. With the added people comes the traffic and parking and garbage. One of the tenants walked around talking to himself all day, I guess kind of expected when your paying 60 a week and sharing a room with three others. The real kicker was the guy 3 a few doors down that was trying to sell for almost 2 years and I guess (hope ) just out of frustration he tells me one day................... I wonder if we are zone or maybe we are too close to Grand Ave to sell / rent my home to the state and let them turn it into a mentally ill or halfway home. WTF! I'm so happy to be out of there and in a much better place

I know some are going to post, why don't/ didn't you call up on them about the illegal apartments. It would have taken months if not years to straighten out that. When I went to my neighbors, they were like "you do what you have to to survive in this economy" so I permanently corrected the situation.
This is my one consistent gripe. Baldwin has as much to do with Manorville, Great Neck, or Rocky Point as any random town in another state to a degree. There is a very good chance I will never drive through or near Baldwin in my lifetime. How are these social issues A) True for all 100 miles of Long Island or B) Something that can only possibly be occuring in this tiny region of the US, and thus some sort of "LI" problem. Never understood this logic, but I grew up in an area where the neighboring town had public housing, and some school issues, etc but was never associated with where I lived. On Long Island there is this tendency to paint every single area with the same brush. Illogical if you ask me.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:18 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
I have not noticed any change. Port Jeff has always had some oddballs, especially up near the tracks. Not just immigrants either.
I would think any train station (With the exception of the more desolate one's further east) could be a hangout during off-peak hours.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:27 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I do not see the same in my area (Smithtown), or think anything has changed in the recent 5 years, but then again our local politicians are being sued for Section 8 bias (I am not saying this discrimination is good/bad) and Vecchio is almost a Mafia Don at this point. Smithtown is arguably too homogenous.

Hmmmm...maybe the residents of Rocky Point have been starting to explore new towns in Long Island....I am of course kidding...
LMAO JrP; )

But I disagree, you got it too.

Perhaps to a lesser degree than elsewhere (thank be to the bada bing)but Ive seen a fair amount of graffiti, strangeness and trash up on Jericho and also on 111.

I would agree Smithtown has held up the best as far as townships go.

Crooks

Old 06-26-2009, 09:35 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
its not like that in argentina. its very expensive there.
I was in Argentina 4 years ago and it was cheap as could be. $0.25 a pack for cigarettes, $3 for an entire dinner... the exchange rate was unbelievable. I'd more to Argentina in a heartbeat.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:45 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
This is my one consistent gripe. Baldwin has as much to do with Manorville, Great Neck, or Rocky Point as any random town in another state to a degree. There is a very good chance I will never drive through or near Baldwin in my lifetime. How are these social issues A) True for all 100 miles of Long Island or B) Something that can only possibly be occuring in this tiny region of the US, and thus some sort of "LI" problem. Never understood this logic, but I grew up in an area where the neighboring town had public housing, and some school issues, etc but was never associated with where I lived. On Long Island there is this tendency to paint every single area with the same brush. Illogical if you ask me.
I guess it's only a problem if it directly effects you? I'm just giving my personal experiences. There were/are people on my former block for over 35 years tell them "but was never associated with where I live" and see what they have to say I'm sure this is happening in a lot of places not just LI but nevertheless it's happening
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island