Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:57 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Like I said, RP lost many of the cute bunglaows to the McMansion mindset.
Its definitely changed since the 70s but it still has its earthy charm.

Ive heard Goa is beatiful and a lot of fun,great club/music scene, Ive always wanted to go check it out.
Their first house in RP was a bungalow. The one they built was a lot bigger than a bungalow so that's also why they were surprised someone felt the need to McMansion it.

I wish I could have went out there with them, but I was working. They said they hit traffic on the way home to Nassau, but they started home sometime during the rush hour, so of course that would happen.

Goa attracts a very young crowd these days as it is the equivalent of a spring break destination so I wouldn't recommend going there during that time because the prices will be jacked up and it will be way too crowded. Mumbai has quite the night life actually and fantastic restaurants too. Mumbai is like the Indian equivalent of Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 12:05 PM

186 posts, read 734,581 times
Default That's great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Yes, I have been there and spent my time in Mumbai (aka Bombay) and Pune in Maharashtra. The next time I go I am going to Mumbai and will also visit Rajasthan where I want to go to the tiger preserve and see the haunted city/ruins of Bhangarh during the day (nobody is allowed to go there after dark!).
Wow, you seem to know about the tourist attractions in India more than I do, and I have lived there for first 22 years of my life!
Rajasthan is really beautiful and they have the "Palace on Wheels" train that you can take across the state and visit some of these great palaces and cities. I have only been once to Rajasthan, but heard great things about all the places you can go see there!

I happen to have a bunch of relatives in Pune, and some in Mumbai -- I think Pune is a really nice place...probably one I would consider living in if/when I move back there.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:09 PM

186 posts, read 734,581 times
Quote:
Goa attracts a very young crowd these days as it is the equivalent of a spring break destination so I wouldn't recommend going there during that time because the prices will be jacked up and it will be way too crowded. Mumbai has quite the night life actually and fantastic restaurants too. Mumbai is like the Indian equivalent of Manhattan.
Also, there are many smaller towns and beaches along the western coast of India that though not as popular Goa, still are very beautiful to go visit and relax (Check out Alibaug etc). In fact, even in Goa you can find some really secluded beaches, and just visit the bigger ones to have some fun.

Mumbai sure is the biggest city and has a lot to offer, but you can feel lost there, especially if you are not used to the crazy life of NYC.

This actually is a good time to visit some more nothern indian "hill stations" of Kullu, Manali, Shimla etc...just a thought!

-- May be there should another thread for this discussion...too O/T for this..the OP will be mad
EDIT: aah...i didn't realize..Crooks is the OP...and he is on-board.. LOL

Last edited by ssd005; 06-26-2009 at 12:19 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 12:14 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Why stop at having "sketchy houses" with "sketchy tenants" Karl? Perhaps we should just bulldoze the houses and put a few trailers on each of their lots.

So sketchy will be the new normal on Long Island?

So I don't have to be afraid to move to Oregon anymore (I was afraid because 85% of the property crimes there are committed by methampethamine addicts) as the meth heads will be coming to ME here on LI?

Thanks. People USED to come to NY to make money. Now they are coming to be as sketchy as they are everywhere else in this crappy country!!!! NO! Stay out losers!

Ick! I am thinking of moving to a mainly English speaking country that is not too cold. Looked into Australia and found out they have a massive meth problem so might as well stick with fly over country if I want that. Or maybe save up and move to India, buy a house in a gated community or a doorman high rise and live off my investments. There I can have servants to do my bidding for the equivalent of around US$25 a month each. Over there they all love me for my ultra fair complexion, "sharp features," and blue blue eyes and the fact that I am not short and when you look at me from the neck down you can tell that I am not a pre-adolescent boy (unlike many of the scrawny women there). Seriously. I am hot as a Bollywood goddess over there. Hmmm. I wonder is there such a thing as a male concubine in India? Cause I could afford a few if there are ... Oh this is getting O/T ... where was I ...

Railing about "sketchy people" ... on my block anything sketchy is reported to the Village Mayor's Office. Seriously. I have them on speed dial. They rush to action super quick if I suggest me coming in to personally meet with them to discuss the matter! Hehehe. Wonder why? Plus being friends with the mailman lets me send out anonymous missives for free directing my neighbors on how they should behave with couth and decorum at all times. That is one of the reasons I don't move ... because there might be sketchy people already in the area and since I would be the new kid on the block I couldn't push them around. Or if I moved to a really great neighborhood I could be considered the sketchy new neighbor ... Heavens! Anything but that!
HA HA! I am the sketchy person my block
I think I brought down the property values when I moved in!

Old 06-26-2009, 12:41 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post

Gotta be proud!

Old 06-26-2009, 12:59 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,915 times
Quote:
I have not been to Canada, but I have a friend with relatives in Montreal and perhaps we will take a trip there soon. She really likes Montreal. How cold does it get there and how long does the winter/snows last? That would be my concern about Canada. Otherwise it sounds like a nice place. I have also heard it called "USA Lite," although since I've never been there I can't say if that is good or bad.
I've never been to Montreal but I've heard that it is not as clean as Toronto and the language issue there is a pain (difficult to live there permanently if you don't speak french). Toronto is a totally English speaking city and is much wealthier. It was orginally populated by the English and Scots and maintains those cultures sense of order (even though the population is very diverse now). Alot of Canada's elite moved there in the 70's from Montreal when Quebec started their move toward making Quebec a French-only speaking province.

Canada is a nice hybrid between American and European cultures. The weather is cold but tolerable (I guess it is to me, I grew up near Buffalo!). The climate in Toronto is similar to Chicago, Montreal is a bit colder than that.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:32 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,141,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
you and me, both! for a while, i wondered why people looked at me when they drove by. turns out that my house is 205 and the guy who lives at 105 is a convicted child molestor and people cant remember thier addresses!

Old 06-27-2009, 01:59 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
I went to the White Castle in West Hempstead and a hobo tried to give me a dollar. How crazy is that?

Old 06-27-2009, 10:05 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
you have got to be kidding me !! I think it would have been a great KODAK moment

Old 06-28-2009, 03:43 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
When hobo's ask me for change I tell them "sorry, all I have are hundreds".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island