Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 06:02 AM

659 posts, read 2,517,226 times

Advertisements

Wow. Those are some expensive problems with the home. Electrical panels and moving an oil tank are big money (and necessities). I wish you luck, but I would defnately get some estimates so you know how much you will be spending on top of the purchase price. It may not be worth it.

PS- The realtor sounds interesting. I would never buy a home that has the tank under ground and I would defiantely require it be moved before purchase. It is not a strange request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 01:34 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
Depending on the actual type of test, it can be expensive.
yeah, and I think if the owner does not mind the testing, I'm sure we can work it out as far as who pays for the test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
A leaking oil tank is a HUGE liability for the owner of the property. If you have any question about this tank's integrity (or the current owners for that matter) get it tested at your expense before you buy the property. I believe they can do a pressure test on the tank to see if it is leaking. If you want the house that much, then pay for the testing (try to get the current owner's to pay?). If you don't want the house that much, then walk away.

You could role the dice and take your chances. Not sure what your chances are though. How old is the tank? I'd call the NYDEP's underground tank unit and ask some questions. They may be able to give you more information to base your descision.
Its not a "must have" house for us, but we are trying to be as reasonable as we can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
Wow. Those are some expensive problems with the home. Electrical panels and moving an oil tank are big money (and necessities). I wish you luck, but I would defnately get some estimates so you know how much you will be spending on top of the purchase price. It may not be worth it.

PS- The realtor sounds interesting. I would never buy a home that has the tank under ground and I would defiantely require it be moved before purchase. It is not a strange request.
Thank you for reinforcing my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island