Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 12:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyc44 View Post
What are you blabbing about...?

Port Washington is an amazing area. No area is really "bad." In fact if there are questionable areas they are the equiv of bad pizza - still pretty good.

Wherever you go there will be illegals. This is America.
I beg to differ with the bolded part. Hopefully someone who lives there and who is honest will chime in as to where to stay away from in PW. If I have time I will do a search because it has been discussed here before.

As for "wherever you go there will be illegals," I also beg to differ. There are plenty of places where they don't reside and people don't want to pay high prices for homes and high property taxes to be stuck with them. They don't live everywhere in every neighborhood. And no, illegal aliens are not America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 01:01 PM

487 posts, read 1,363,680 times
^not wherever you go, the super rich area like Kings Point/Planedom/Sands Points only have illegals working there not living there, it's only the "middle class" area they are cramming into

Old 06-30-2009, 01:10 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
didn't take long for this thread to careen off topic...lol.

Anyway, if you're focusing on the "north shore", why was RVC part of your search?

Old 06-30-2009, 01:21 PM

64 posts, read 154,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I beg to differ with the bolded part. Hopefully someone who lives there and who is honest will chime in as to where to stay away from in PW. If I have time I will do a search because it has been discussed here before.

As for "wherever you go there will be illegals," I also beg to differ. There are plenty of places where they don't reside and people don't want to pay high prices for homes and high property taxes to be stuck with them. They don't live everywhere in every neighborhood. And no, illegal aliens are not America!

It would be helpful for someone to help us distinguish the parts of Port Washington that are not worth buying a half million dollar home. Proximity to NYC is key to the real estate prices being so high and that's understood but what we'd like to know from someone who lives there is what are the less desirable areas when looking to buy a home.

Last edited by paulyc44; 06-30-2009 at 01:30 PM..

Old 06-30-2009, 01:36 PM

330 posts, read 887,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyc44 View Post
It would be helpful for someone to help us distinguish the parts of Port Washington that are not worth buying a half million dollar home. Proximity to NYC is key to the real estate prices being so high and that's understood but what we'd like to know from someone who lives there is what are the less desirable areas when looking to buy a home.
here is a prior thread where I_love_LI ... posted links to previous posts about the port area, probably just what is being discussed.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ml#post8904087

Old 06-30-2009, 02:15 PM

748 posts, read 2,887,208 times
45 minutes just for train commute times will take you as far as Hicksville ( express train from Hicksville is exactly 45 minutes). You can look into Syosset, Plainview, and even parts of Jericho and Roslyn, all of which are considered excellent schools. There are also some homes in the Herricks school district listed for upper 400s/lower 500s. Mineola is great for commute ( 35 minute express), but the school scores are not on par with the top-tier districts.

Nowadays, as a buyer, you have a lot of power to negotiate, so lower 500 should get a starter home in some of the north shore communities. But a low 500 is the minimum you will pay in these communities.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
45 minutes just for train commute times will take you as far as Hicksville ( express train from Hicksville is exactly 45 minutes). You can look into Syosset, Plainview, and even parts of Jericho and Roslyn, all of which are considered excellent schools. There are also some homes in the Herricks school district listed for upper 400s/lower 500s. Mineola is great for commute ( 35 minute express), but the school scores are not on par with the top-tier districts.

Nowadays, as a buyer, you have a lot of power to negotiate, so lower 500 should get a starter home in some of the north shore communities. But a low 500 is the minimum you will pay in these communities.
Some interesting choices, but the only one of those I would consider the "North Shore" (as the OP wrote in her headline) would be Roslyn and the OP wouldn't find much in her budget range there.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
didn't take long for this thread to careen off topic...lol.
Anyway, if you're focusing on the "north shore", why was RVC part of your search?
I know! Sorry to bring up the topic "illegal aliens" because it usually gets a rise, but I was trying to explain why the less expensive parts of PW may be no bargain in the long run ...

Old 06-30-2009, 06:05 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
The problem is the "North Shore" part. There are 2 train lines serving the North Shore proper: Port Washington and Oyster Bay. The Port branch is expensive, and the Oyster Bay branch has appalling service. If you went to other parts of Nassau, you could definitely get something that meets the commute and budget.

Williston Park is nice, especially with Herricks schools, but it's not 5 minutes from the train.

Jericho is out with that budget. Plainview and Syosset are in, and I would call Syosset North Shore. The commute is about 50 mins to Penn, plus travel time to the station.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:52 PM

748 posts, read 2,887,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Some interesting choices, but the only one of those I would consider the "North Shore" (as the OP wrote in her headline) would be Roslyn and the OP wouldn't find much in her budget range there.
She had mentioned she was already looking in Mineola and Williston park. These are not really north either. Btw, What does OP stand for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island