Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 04:26 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianwaters View Post
And you say this because?

The same people that want them will cry when there quaint downtown is GONE and nothing can survive there but more empty buildings...and crime...

This is why you don't want it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:58 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,552 times
I want it. cheaper food. why not?

Old 07-01-2009, 06:48 PM

183 posts, read 618,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
The same people that want them will cry when there quaint downtown is GONE and nothing can survive there but more empty buildings...and crime...

This is why you don't want it....
I in fact DO want it so please don't speak for anyone but yourself

Old 07-01-2009, 07:24 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Walmart had to tippey-toe around a lot of land mines to get to LI in the first place. The moment word got out, they were met with opposition.
Walmart expansion is being fought right now as a matter of fact in E Patchogue. Walmart had to start slow at first (Notice that all of the Suffolk County Walmarts are in buildings that existed already?) There's a reason for this. Walmart is constantly playing a public relations game to keep their image strong. I wouldn't count on any Super Walmart's opening on LI anytime soon.

As a side note, the quaintness of LI was killed the moment these chain stores took over. There was a time when much of our shopping was done with local businesses. I'm not saying it's the worst thing but it did change things. We outlasted many parts of this country in this regard. I guess we can thank the high taxes and high cost of doing business. When I travel down south, i've seen hundreds of acres leveled, asphalted and walmarted in a matter of months.
The Walmart in Setauket was new construction.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:44 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Default Cheaper Food, oh please!

We have 14 WalMarts in Las Vegas, 9 are Super Walmarts with groceries.
With every new Super Walmart, I feared that it would put our local mainstays (Food4Less, Albertson's,Von's) out of business. Not so. Their real threat, in my estimation, is the big Latin grocery chains (Marianna's, La Bonita, Liborio and Supermercado). And our great treasures, the 99 cent Superstores, which can even beat out the Latin chains for their limited produce selections. Similar to Waldo's in Manhattan except every item in the store is 99 cents. Every item!

Who can, overall, match the Latin chains in produce prices! WalMart can't hold a candle to these chains for produce prices. I never, ever buy expensive produce from WalMart, which has always mystified me. Perhaps, who knows, they struck an agreement with the grocery chains in town, that they'd keep their produce prices high to keep peace in the community.

The non-produce food is hit and miss, although the last few months, for whatever reason, the prices have gotten so high, I can buy it cheaper elsewhere.

Non-food, you can find better deals, but, again, it's hit and miss.

But if you really want to see some eye-popping prices, head for a Walmart in Mexico on your next trip. Lost my toiletry bag at a bus station, headed for a Walmart to refill it, every item cost me twice what it cost me at the same Walmart in the U.S. Go figure! And minimum wage down there at $4.85/day.
Are most of their profits coming from their foreign operations?

Old 07-01-2009, 08:10 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,562 times
Quote:
I in fact DO want it so please don't speak for anyone but yourself

Many people don't want it though, i never seen anyone get up and speak for a superwalmart....listened to many speak against it...

Old 07-01-2009, 08:21 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Is it because their quality,prices and selection are better than Waldbaums, Stop and Shop, Foodtown and Pathmark?

Hello My Name Is....

Edelman

PR firm admits it's behind Wal-Mart blogs
Sites that appeared to be grass-roots support for retailer revealed to be backed by Edelman employees.
Wal-Mart blogs revealed to be*done by PR firm's employees - Oct. 20, 2006

Old 07-02-2009, 12:06 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,768 times
Super Wal-Mart avoids all high cost markets. Look for one in NoVA or Boston: you won't. (I just ran a search using a Reston zip, figuring that was far enough out to hit one. 1 Supercenter in 20 results--in Frederick, MD.) Costs, especially land, are too high. There's a reason that the only site they were even considering on LI is Patchogue. It's far enough out to be commercially viable.

Wegmans strictly controls expansion. 2 stores a year. They're concentrating on moving south from their western NY base. I've now lived in 2 places with Wegmans--Rochester and central PA (I moved down there a few weeks ago). Their fresh produce is excellent, their prepared stuff is good, the own label is reliable--and the brand names, fuhgeddaboudit. Giant (Giant PA is separate from Giand MD/DC, and better from what I've seen) is way better with a much larger choice. Prices at either are good (if you are really price conscious you'd comparison shop; each has various items that are cheaper than the other.

We also have Super Hellmart, which I do not set foot into because it sends me into a rage as I have to walk a mile to find whatever it is I need.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:12 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,552 times
walmart rocks!

Old 07-02-2009, 04:54 AM

347 posts, read 1,352,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
That is my beef with Long Island. So many buildings are empty and yet these new businesses want to tear down trees and build.

Granted its a bit harder for bigger places like Lowes and Home Depot, but come on. The Stop and Shop in Lake Grove went out of business. That is plenty big for another supermarket or something else. Heck chop it up and put a few businesses in there.

How about recycling buildings???
A new Babies R Us / Toys R Us store (yes, both stores in 1 building) is supposed to be built at the site of the old Lake Grove Stop & Shop. It is taking a really long time though for them to start though (not sure why). The village is very strict about what gets built, so it should turn out pretty nice eventually. I kind of miss not having the Stop & Shop there, as it was in a very convenient location for me, but it was never really a good store. The Stop & Shop in Lake Ronkonkoma is much bigger and better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island