Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 06:51 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,130,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaFish View Post
I for one think it's a good thing Walmart hasn't opened a supercenter here on LI. Let hicks living in the heartland contribute to the corporate beast. We can afford more here so let's pay more. Plus it (among other forces) keeps poor undesirables from settling here.
Speak for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 08:07 PM

23,113 posts, read 28,848,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
not on long island. same reason why they cant make a super walmart: it will put the supermarkets out of business.
Perhaps it's the name that is such a turn-off to LI'ers. France has their own chain of SuperWalmarts called Carrefour. When visiting in South America one time I happened to stumble upon one. Very, very similar to Wal-Mart. You would hardly know the difference.

Perhaps because of the greater snob appeal of the name, Carrefour might have a better chance of landing one on Long Island.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:32 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,117,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Perhaps it's the name that is such a turn-off to LI'ers. France has their own chain of SuperWalmarts called Carrefour. When visiting in South America one time I happened to stumble upon one. Very, very similar to Wal-Mart. You would hardly know the difference.

Perhaps because of the greater snob appeal of the name, Carrefour might have a better chance of landing one on Long Island.
It was shot down years ago in Setauket

Old 07-05-2009, 11:42 PM

732 posts, read 1,730,257 times
Quote:

They pulled out of the US entirely in the '90s after only opening two locations (Philly and a town in Jersey).

The hypermarket concept is not done around here because of the lack of available empty space that's appropiate, the high prices for real estate, and political opposition.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:57 AM

407 posts, read 961,851 times
I don't have proof, but I was told by a Union worker that Walmart struck a deal with the Supermarket Unions years ago to allow them to build a lot of Walmarts here without having the Unions fighting them.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:11 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,807,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
^ Hell yeah. I agree with this man.

And that is why it will never happen up here. The public officials up here aren't uneducated hicks.
That's a laugh. No, they're just blanant theives who could care less if you get to save some money or not - unless they get theirs first. I'd rather have the "uneducated hicks" thank you.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:16 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,807,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaFish View Post
I for one think it's a good thing Walmart hasn't opened a supercenter here on LI. Let hicks living in the heartland contribute to the corporate beast. We can afford more here so let's pay more. Plus it (among other forces) keeps poor undesirables from settling here.
So you enjoy paying more money for the same products?

Old 07-06-2009, 09:58 PM

732 posts, read 1,730,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
That's a laugh. No, they're just blanant theives who could care less if you get to save some money or not - unless they get theirs first. I'd rather have the "uneducated hicks" thank you.
The politicians do get their money - it's called the supermarket unions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
So you enjoy paying more money for the same products?
Honestly, I don't think its the supermarket's fault, and neither is it Walmart's. It almost seems like the manufacturers are colluding to keep prices high and their sizes lower. Walmart can break it because they exist on such a large scale. Most other places cannot.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:43 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,597,644 times
Quote:

The Setauket Stop and Shop on the triangle of Pond/347/Nicolls was supposed to be a Carrefour. The structure was built and lay empty for a number of years.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:44 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,296,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Super Walmarts occupy a heck of a lot of space and are apt to draw in a ton of vehicular traffic. It can be both an environmental and safety concern. There are a few superstores up here in the Northeast but they are few and far in between as compared to other parts of the country. You're going to have to head to a rural, sparsely part of New York to find one and you had better look it up in a directory first. I think there is only one in Massachusetts, and its in Ware, which is in the middle of nowhere.
I think oneonta, NY had one too...if not, then holy moly that's a big walmart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island