Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:16 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times

Advertisements

Hands down....The playground at Venetian Shores in Lindenhurst. A big ol playground, spray water park & the beach on the bay. Only downside is you have to be Babylon resident or park outside and make the very short walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 10:49 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
Here is my BEST OF THE BEST list!1. Spend a whole day at the Hoyt Farm in Commack. There is a water park, two different playgrounds (neat rubber and messy sand), a huge field of grass, animals, the woods with a little pond. This one has it all! How about a concert? Welcome to the Town of Smithtown. 2. The Robert Moses Beach playground is great for socialization, my son often makes a new "friend" there and ends up playing with him/her on the beach. Most parents are very relaxed at the beach and in no hurry so the kids actually get to play with one another. Another great way to spend the day!3. The Heritage Park which was mentioned (Rte 83 and 25A). I like the number of paths, it never gets too boring to bike here. Great to help them build some self confidence when it comes to going on big slides ;-) Great in winter for sledding. The "clubhouse" is starting to offer some classes for adults and kids as well. Dogs are not allowed, but people continue to bring them here (grrrr!!).4. The Heckscher Park in Huntington (Rte 35 &25A) has a nice playground with a carousel, a locomotive and lots of climbing opportunities for the older kids. It has two shaded sand boxes as well and lots of benches for parents to sit on. Of course nothing beats the beautiful pond with ducks and swans. This is the park for picnics!!! There are lots of lovely tress to sit under, there are a few outdoor sculptures to adore, there is a fountain and a 9/11 memorial with a little waterfall. A short walk will bring you to the heart of Huntington. Stop by Juice Box (down the side street from the Toy store on Main St) for lunch it's great!5. The Rocketship park in Port Jefferson is great as it has 4 playgrounds with sand surface. I find that parents tend to stay here longer than at some other playgrounds, so again, its great for socializing. It's fun to stay here a bit and then walk down to the shore through town. And of course, nothing beats a playground that looks like a rocket!!! 6. Northport was mentioned already, I too prefer the old fashined playground. The two metal slides are great, one being much bigger than the other. We always race on those, my son of course, gets the big one ;-) Just behind the slides there is a little dirt hill which is fun to climb on, it's just something different I look for in playgrounds. Playgrounds nowadays are just too flat!!! 7. The Sunken Meadow Park has a few playgrounds as well.
Agree 110% regarding Hoyt farm. We will be spending half our summer there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island