Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 01:55 PM

80 posts, read 498,056 times

Advertisements

We are trying to decide between Garden City and Rockville Centre. My husband commutes to NYC and I have school aged children. Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 02:44 PM

20 posts, read 109,924 times
you need to give us some more info. will you be using public or private schools? is budget an issue?

Generally you will get more house in RVC than in GC for the same price. However, as a commuter, I greatly prefer RVC to GC because I always take an express train -- next stop Penn or RVC. True, commuting times aren't much different, but for some reason all those stops on the GC train annoy me.

anyway, there are other positives about each if you tell us what you're looking for.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:54 PM

94 posts, read 419,513 times
I grew up in RVC so I'm biased, but I think it's a great town. The schools are excellent, some of the best on Long Island. It's a short commute to Manhattan, 35 - 40 minutes depending on which train you take. Parking near the train is difficult, and there may be a waiting list for a parking permit.

There are a lot of great restaurants in the area although parking can be a pain. There's a rec center with tennis courts and soccer fields. There's also a park and a golf course nearby. PM if you have any additional questions.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:47 PM

259 posts, read 939,036 times
RVC has its own public utility company and the village receives better utility service for cheaper rates.
Schools be careful some streets south of Sunrise highway Ocean ave and Long Beach road? go to oceanside schools however those streets still receive RVC police, fire and utility services.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:58 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,554 times
One major difference I find is that GC doesnt have any two family homes, but RVC does. Both are full service villages though with residents who care about a community feel.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:25 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,250 times
Both are excellent towns. With regard to housing, RVC is somewhat less expensive, but remember that this is by Long Island standards, i.e., both places are exhorbitant in absolute terms (unless of course you are moving from someplace like San Francisco or DC and are used to $600,000+ houses . . . ).

I think if you want a really, really "grand" expensive house, you will find more of those in GC. There is quite a contrast between Garden City and the towns it borders; Hempstead, for example, is kind of a dump; the change from one town to the next is mind boggling when you "cross the border": crummy, treeless run down commercial district one side of the street in Hempstead, huge maple-tree-lined streets with million dollar homes as right on the other side in GC! The other bordering towns (Uniondale, New Hyde Park, East Meadow, Carle Place) are less affluent but not as run down as Hempstead.

RVC is bordered by Baldwin, Oceanside, Lynbrook, and South Hempstead and I think there is less of a contrast between these towns that between Garden City and its neighbors. Also, of course, everything on Long Island just runs together into one suburban megalopolis, so it's not like there is any distance separating any of these towns.

RVC has a nice, active downtown with lots of small shops and restaurants, but Garden City has all the big malls and dept stores, so even if you live in RVC, you'll probably spend a lot of time in Garden City for shopping. Both towns also have smaller scattered commercial areas throughout the towns (Long Beach and Merrick roads in RVC, don't remember the other main drags in GC). RVC is closer to the beach and waterfront areas, if that's a consideration.

RVC schools (Southside HS) are right up there with the best in NY state. One of the other posters mentioned that some areas of RVC go to Oceanside schools (south of Sunrise Hwy). This is true, but O-side also has excellent schools, so I don't think this is a big deal. There is really no need to use private schools in RVC/Oceanside unless you want a "religious" education. I don't know as much about Garden City schools.

The mention about RVC having it's own power plant was a good one -- this is very unusual (I think Freeport is the only other town on LI with a similar situation). This saves you BIG TIME on utilities, as the rest of Long Island is tied into LILCO which has exhorbitant electric rates.

Rockville Centre is right on the main line of the LIRR and it's only 30-40 minutes to the City. It's also a quick run to JFK airport if you do a lot of flying.

Overall I think I'd suggest RVC -- a bit less pricy, less "sprawly" and more centralized than GC.

By the way, where are you moving from? You do realize of course, that ALL of Long Island is crowded, congested, expensive, high-taxed, and annoying, and trying to drive off of it to go anywhere else is an ordeal. So my suggestion is purely hypothetical and needs to be taken in the context that I wouldn't move to ANYWHERE on LI at this point in my life . . .

Old 04-27-2007, 09:10 AM

491 posts, read 828,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn11 View Post
We are trying to decide between Garden City and Rockville Centre. My husband commutes to NYC and I have school aged children. Help
Rockville/Oceanside is large Jewish Communiety its has lots of resteraunts and shopping if thats your thing (Kind of like a poor mans Great Neck). Garden City is more country, the big maple trees, lots of green. Like said they have strict zoning laws and rarely grant variances.
Id say It depends more on your culture or backround

-Joe

Last edited by Joe L; 04-27-2007 at 09:19 AM..

Old 04-27-2007, 09:37 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,692 times
The train access in Garden City is at least as good as RVC...there a 5 stations in the village, plus you are right neat Mineola, which is one of the best on LI.

GC has a very nice downtown that keeps improving. It's very close to Roosevelt Field and all teh stuff on Old Country Rd, etc. It's also closer to all the great "North Shore" towns. It's very central, which I think is a real plus.

I think the schools in GC are much better than RVC, though. Look at the numbers, the sports, etc. It could be my opinion, but that's one of the topping points when I was choosing Garden City.

I can't speak for RVC, but GC is very community minded, very family oriented, more so than any other place we looked at.

I would not worry about surrounding areas...they are all fine, except Hempstead, but even that's not an issue. Crime is very low in the village. The services are excellent, too - great police, fire that's both professional and volunteer, great sanitation, etc.

There is no bad area in the village.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:50 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,692 times
Here's the trains...

http://www.mta.info/lirr/html/lirrmap.htm (broken link)

Be sure to look at Mineola since a large portion of the village is close to there, too.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:47 PM

8 posts, read 40,994 times
Garden City from what ive seen is much less diverse than RVC. People are obcessed with orgainizing their childrens lives. RVC seems a lot more down to earth. Garden City does have a nice "downtown" but there's little price range (everything is expensive and closes early). RVC's Downtown is much larger and has a lot more options. Great options during the day and late night. Good luck in choosing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island