Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 01:29 PM

330 posts, read 887,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I agree with this. I don't see any of these foods as being "indigenous" so to speak, to Long Island. They were brought out here from the city by people who migrated east. Pizza, bagels, et al - they are all city foods not Long Island foods. And about the only one I would miss is the pizza - you just cannot get good pizza outside this area, it must be the water or something. Even pizza people who leave here to open pizza places in other states just can't duplicate it. It's very strange. But I've gotten good bagels, Chinese and whatever else in other states.
Its funny, when I think of long island food I think about clambars, a bucket of steamers, and tray of raw oysters ... and I don't mean this as an insult, they are amazing and might just be better than what you get in the city in a lot of places. Louie's in port washington has a nice selection of this stuff on the cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 01:30 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
It's also that most people leave LI for other suburban places, and compared to most suburbs, LI has GREAT food. Lots of real restaurants, not too many chains, and a big increase in ethnic food. Parts of the Bay Area and DC have that, but a lot of suburban areas don't.

NYC pretty much dwarfs anywhere in the US for going out to eat, so comparing it to LI isn't 100% fair.

Oh, and when I visited my parents this past weekend, I did come home with bagels, a large smoked whitefish, lox, a dozen Miamis and a box of fresh black & whites. And I ate pizza as soon as I got there.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:41 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
I've lived in Queens and i've had pizza better and worse than what i've had on Long Island. There isn't any difference between the pizza on LI and Queens. I've also had some awful italian food in italian sections of Queens. It just depends where you go in the entire metro area.

And I laugh at the people from Texas and Georgia who claim that their pizza is just as good as NY's...lol. They're on the General US forum and claim they have bagels and pizza as good as here. Yeah, right...

Old 07-08-2009, 03:49 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
They do not have bagels. They have ring shaped pieces of bread, which they call bagels. The only place in north America with decent bagels, besides NY, is Montreal, and theirs is a whole different style.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:12 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Just try to get whitefish, Greek salad and a bialy outside of the NYC area, it's nigh impossible.
I had the best Greek food EVER in North Carolina a couple of months ago. My best friend is Greek so I eat "real" Greek food all the time.

I don't care about those others, sorry Walter!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:49 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:

The Greek salad I was referring to can be found at a kosher appetizing store, along with the white fish, baked salmon, smoked sturgeon, smoked sable, freshly sliced herring in cream sauce, Greek olives and macaroni salad, and don't forget the bottle of Schav and a pint of sour cream.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:37 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
I had the best Greek food EVER in North Carolina a couple of months ago. My best friend is Greek so I eat "real" Greek food all the time.

I had good Greek and Italian food when I was in Las Vegas. It's the only city I've visited where the food is on par with NY's.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:46 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
There are great Greek restaurants (not the kind they have in Athens , though) in Huntington Village on New York Avenue.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-09-2009, 08:48 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
And I laugh at the people from Texas and Georgia who claim that their pizza is just as good as NY's...lol. They're on the General US forum and claim they have bagels and pizza as good as here. Yeah, right...
You'll never hear that from me! The best bagels in TX are Einstein Bros. You get used to it (kinda). The pizza (in Austin, at least) is actually ok and getting better. A coal oven pizza place opened by my house recently and it's pretty good. There's another place where the owners are from Boston but they make a decent LI style pie (cheesy and greasy).

Old 07-09-2009, 09:31 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,545 times
entamins and snapple. oops....no more snapple!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island